LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

difficulty replacing trunk struts

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-08, 06:03 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default difficulty replacing trunk struts

I got new trunk struts on ebay and went to replace them but I am having a hell of a time getting them on. They are slightly longer and because they are new I cannot get them compressed the quarter inch or so to get them on. How do I get them compressed enough so I can snap them on?
Old 09-05-08, 07:10 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you compress them when they are off the car? Like before your trying to install them? If so you could compress them, use tape or something to hold it down, install it, then cut the tape/zip ties or what ever.
Old 09-05-08, 09:26 PM
gs eddy
Rookie

they might be the wrong size.
Old 09-05-08, 09:35 PM
CHEFDADDY
Driver School Candidate

Default difficulty replacing trunk struts

I just replaced my trunk struts on 2001 Ultra model . Now keep in mind I am a chef not a mechanic . Was frustrated for about 2 minutes then had my wife lift up on the trunk lid , hyper-extending it , until the strut just snapped into place . Took about 5 more minutes to replace both of them . Hope this helps .

Bought mine on e-bay as well
Old 09-06-08, 08:12 AM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i got mine from ebay as well...its pretty tough to get it in there, i'm sure they are the right size...it took me a min. to figure it out...
Old 09-06-08, 01:30 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

I can't compress them while they are off the car. I tried hyperextending the trunk and still could not get them on, but I was doing it by myself. I'll try it again with someone else to push the trunk up and see if that works.
Old 09-07-08, 05:30 PM
general98
Rookie

I think I need to replace mine - just bought a 2001 LS430 and the trunk pretty much stays open only when the trunk is fully open. Otherwise it will close (and fairly hard). Are these the symptoms that led you to replace yours? Thanks.
Old 09-08-08, 10:10 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by willhershe
I think I need to replace mine - just bought a 2001 LS430 and the trunk pretty much stays open only when the trunk is fully open. Otherwise it will close (and fairly hard). Are these the symptoms that led you to replace yours? Thanks.
yep............
Old 09-17-08, 04:38 PM
earldjjone
Driver School Candidate

Default trunk strut installation

Hi. I replaced mine two weeks ago and thought they might be the wrong size also (ebay items). Finally figured out that if you put the top (trunk lid) end in first then take a screw driver and wedge it under the bottom of the strut to compress it, they will pop in. I had the head tech from lexus doing mine (he is a personal friend) and even he first said they were too long, but we figured it out after a couple of tries. Hope this helps.
Old 09-17-08, 04:46 PM
Hudini
Lead Lap

Order the figs trunk struts. Very easy to install and the trunk lifts better than oem.
Old 09-17-08, 07:36 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Default symptom?

Is another symptom of the trunk struts going bad when it is difficult to open the trunk (requires a god amount of force to open it). I just wouldn't expect it to be as hard as it is.
Old 09-17-08, 07:53 PM
Shilly
Driver School Candidate

FWIW I saw this thread and decided to forgo the headache of the eBay Struts and ordered a set of OEM ones for my "new" 01 LS430. I ordered them from Sewell (a Forum Sponsor)
Part Number - 64530-50031
Cost = $128.67
Cost Shipped to Colorado = $137.51

The previous owners tried to keep everything OEM so I think I will try to do the same until I go broke (except for the Chrome Grill I plan to add). I did not spend a lot of time looking for the best price, but this seemed fair for parts that I know will fit.

BOY WAS I WRONG!!!! - They are $138 for EACH PIECE - - I found them cheaper and Sewell did match the price (Do a Google search by the part number - above).

Last edited by Shilly; 09-26-08 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-18-08, 12:07 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

I bought my 05 about a month ago. Not sure how the trunk struts should be reacting and was curious. When I press the button to open the trunk, should it unlock and open on it's own, or is it suppose to require me to pull it up?
Old 09-18-08, 03:30 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigcory
I bought my 05 about a month ago. Not sure how the trunk struts should be reacting and was curious. When I press the button to open the trunk, should it unlock and open on it's own, or is it suppose to require me to pull it up?
All ls430's I have looked at and tested (and it was well over 25) behaved the same, in that you have to lift it up yourself. It will not pop up fully open automatically like some vehicles do (example: my E430 Benz pops up). Not a bad thing in my book - I popp'ed my trunk on my benz one time forgetting that I had backed it in and one of our bicycles was hanging from the ceiling...you can imagine what happened next, yup a good scratch on the lid.

Anyway, as I posted above, it takes a good effort to lift my trunk on my LS430 UL so I wondered if that is a sign of struts going bad?
Old 09-24-08, 08:04 PM
smoothdriv
Driver School Candidate

Default Here's the trick......

Open the trunk almost to the top. At each hinge you will see a plastic "bump stop" that keeps the trunk from making a noise when it is fully open. Carefully open the clip (I think it has a little button that centres it in the proper position) and remove each one. The trunk now opens slightly more. Remove each strut & try to compress it with your body strength. It should be almost impossible to compress if it is still good. You can try replacing the worst one,then see it it makes an improvement. After reinstalling them, reinstall the clips. I have never seen an LS with stock struts that was easy to open the lid, and the stock ones only last 4-5years. Bad design/quality for such a great car.

Quick Reply: difficulty replacing trunk struts