DIY For Transmission Flush

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-11, 01:29 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lexus Tranny Fluid

Originally Posted by alex870
Some people run their car engines without changing the oil - it usually catches up to them at around the 25k mile mark. If car warranties were 15k miles, they'd call it "world oil" and remove the dipstick. Doesn't change the fact that changing the oil well before failure is advisable. And that lubricant failure always comes at some point.

Hyundai's will probably barely make it to 150k before major servicing is needed. The 430 will run much longer than that, so different rules apply than for shorter design life cars. Just like for a 15k car that never "needs" an oil change.
I'm not to 75,000 miles on my 2005 LS-430 yet, but I'm going to say this for the last time. I have two (2) really good friends that are Lexus Technicians, and they tell me to "FORGET" about changing my tranny fluid until "AT LEAST" 100,000 miles, if then even. I also have a next dorr neighbor who is a Manager at a Lexus Dealership "Make-Ready" Department for pre-owned cars and he said "DO NOT even think about changing your transmission fluid, period". I told him I was old school and thought it should be changed and he again said, "You heard what I said, DO NOT change your transmission fluid".

With all that said, I have three (3) good friends saying leave it alone until a minimum of 100,000 miles,and only then if it will make ME feel better, and a next door neighbor who is a beer-drinking buddy who's saying "LEAVE IT ALONE".

Be your own judge and good luck. I've decided to trade mine before the 100,000 miles mark just so I don't have to keep worrying about my tranny fluid. Isn't that a shame.
Old 12-04-11, 07:58 AM
Oldguys
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2006 Transmission Fluid Replacement

Since the 2006 model doesn't have a dip stick to allow you to refill does it make sense to have the oil pan tapped to allow a hose connection to be made so you can refill in a similar fashion to the dip stick method.
Old 12-04-11, 08:29 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

The 05'-06' cars have inlet and outlet plugs factory installed. It takes special equipment to pump fresh oil in and vacuum the old oil out. It's your car, please post on the results you achieve.
Old 01-02-12, 08:27 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Complete DIY flush with pix on a non dipstick tranny

Found this on a Tacoma forum. Since I cannot see any pictures referenced in the SC430 thread, this one covers the details and has pictures....and, of course there is the discussion as to why or why not anyone would be changing WS fluid prior to dealer recommendations.....

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nsmission.html

Has anyone ever decided whether a dark fluid means wear and tear and a loss in lubrication vs a red new fluid ? See pix in the tacoma forum.
Old 01-03-12, 05:00 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have heard the term "burnt" used to describe brown not red tranny fluid and usually is indicitive of needing new fluid though never heard this term related to life expectancy of WS fluid as it is so new and difficult to look at. My Toyota dealer says same thing leave it alone and I hear very very few incidences of tranny probs on this forum.
Old 03-24-12, 01:21 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

I wish we had images still, I want to do this to my LS....
Old 03-25-12, 07:08 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

It's very interesting but I took my car in to the Lexus Dealership yesterday to get it washed, and I asked another Lexus Technecian about changing my transmission fluid, and he looked at me like I just landed on Mars. He reiterated what my good friends and neighbor have told me about changine my fluid, which I have posted before, "DO NOT CHANGE THAT FLUID". The Lexus Service Technician warnened me that "If I insisted on changing it, I could create problems with my transmission." I have it up to 79,000 miles now and it's still shifting fine. I have a 2005 LS-430 Sport, pearl white, gray leather, every option. I can't stand that I'm running the risk of damaging my car by trying to "maintain it", but I guess I should heed my two buddies and my next door neighbor who all work on Lexus cars every day and just forget about it. They surely have nothing to gain or lose by telling me "DO NOT CHANGE THAT FLUID". ???????? Good luck guys, I'm anxious to read about the first one that does change his or hers, and what the outcome is.
Old 03-25-12, 07:31 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Does anyone out there have their blood changed at certain age llmits, just to be sure our bodies don't wear out ? :-)

LOL
Old 03-25-12, 08:52 AM
OG Member
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut
Does anyone out there have their blood changed at certain age llmits, just to be sure our bodies don't wear out ? :-)

LOL
Yes, it's called induced erythrocythemi.

It's important we all consider the different variables associated with each case. Sure, it may be foolish by some to change fluids early, but more importantly, it's the questions we ask to identify if a fluid change is warranted.

Cheers!

Last edited by OG Member; 03-25-12 at 08:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
stuckincal (10-05-19)
Old 03-25-12, 09:39 AM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Direct comparison RBC's to Transmission fluid

Originally Posted by Carnut

LOL
RBC's (red blood cells) aka erythrocyte's typical lifespan is up to 120 days, then they are recycled. They dont last forever. They are constantly being replaced with new RBCs. Just an fyi.

The only damage one would make when replacing the tranny fluid is if one uses the wrong fluid or puts in too much or too little . ALL fluid in mechanical pumps have a lifespan . Depends on how long you intend to keep the car and in what conditions you subject it to. (pulling a heavy trailer), overheating temps etc.....

Last edited by Lexicon1; 03-25-12 at 09:41 AM. Reason: editing
The following users liked this post:
stuckincal (10-05-19)
Old 03-25-12, 09:58 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Anybody seen a Lexus pulling a trailer lately ? And you are correct Lexicon 1, I've been reading where some still think the 2004-2006 LS-430 uses Dextron, Type IV and other incorrect fluids. These now use WS Fluid, and for just over a couple hundred bucks, the Lexus Dealership will do it all for you. Is a transmission fluid change that over-priced that an owner just "has to do it himself/herself" ?

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with the magic bullet to either change, or not to change. As for me, I'm not crawling up under my car and fooling with it for Dealership's wlilingness to do it for less than $300 bucks.

Good luck folks.
Old 03-25-12, 02:02 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Yes, the '04+ uses the WS tranny fluid. There is online debate at the 150K mark and for most owner's service life, this is sufficient. For second owners or those vehicles exceeding 150K, it is open if the fluid should be changed. Wish this was more defined since we'll begin to see the '04's reaching north of 100K miles and whether or not the fluid is lasting. Certainly don't want to be in that small sampling where the fluid is losing it's additive package and taking the tranny with it.

Still not enough info.
Old 03-25-12, 07:18 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Default Tranny Fluid Change !

Originally Posted by RA40
Yes, the '04+ uses the WS tranny fluid. There is online debate at the 150K mark and for most owner's service life, this is sufficient. For second owners or those vehicles exceeding 150K, it is open if the fluid should be changed. Wish this was more defined since we'll begin to see the '04's reaching north of 100K miles and whether or not the fluid is lasting. Certainly don't want to be in that small sampling where the fluid is losing it's additive package and taking the tranny with it.

Still not enough info.
Yes, i agree. it's going to take some time and some honest folks opinion to decide if a transmission really needs changing, ever. I'd be curious, but not going to do it, if someone NEVER changed their engine oil and see just how long it lasted. There are too many of us "old heads" out here, and too many wanting to take a $300 dollar shortcut to save their transmission from an early demise. I bet most them never have their brake lines vacummed and fluidl replaced, like my Lexus Tech friends do mine. I never had it done before I owned a Lexus, and never had ANY problems.

Again, keep us posted on how many of you are having to buy new transmissions. please ?
Old 03-26-12, 10:57 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Response to post #62 above (adding a dipstick to the 04-06 tranny):
IF you do this, you would have to seal the opening against the atmosphere.
WS fluid will absorb moisture from the air, and I think it is generally agreed that this would be a bad thing for the continued longevity of the transmission :-)

Another (only semi-related) bit of information:
Before I considered buying an '04+ LS430, I paid a visit to my local AAMCO.
The owner was very helpful, and looked up his repair records. He had "very few" come in for service.
Old 03-26-12, 11:31 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gene01
Response to post #62 above (adding a dipstick to the 04-06 tranny):
IF you do this, you would have to seal the opening against the atmosphere.
WS fluid will absorb moisture from the air, and I think it is generally agreed that this would be a bad thing for the continued longevity of the transmission :-)

Another (only semi-related) bit of information:
Before I considered buying an '04+ LS430, I paid a visit to my local AAMCO.
The owner was very helpful, and looked up his repair records. He had "very few" come in for service.
This is hilarious.......adding a dip-stick ? What for, to look and see if there is any transmission fluid left in there ? Better add a dip-stick to the differential also, it has fluid. And, don't forget the brake fluid, you can see it, but might as well add a dip-stick. Coolant, add a dip-stick. Gas tank, add a dip-stick (can't rely on those gas guages).

Don't misunderstand me, I'd LOVE to get someone who is an expert on Lexus cars to tell me to change my tranny fluid, but all the experts I know keep saying, "DO NOT CHANGE YOUR TRANNY FLUID". They are just technicians, and have nothing to gain or lose if I damage my tranny..........Go figure, and good luck. Keep us posted the moment your tranny fails, and at what mileage please ?

Quick Reply: DIY For Transmission Flush