LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

DIY For Transmission Flush

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-11, 10:56 AM
alex870
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trk1
Well the cars got 154k on it, I'm aware that it needs Dex3 type fluid. I 've owned it for about 3 years now & i don't have any record of when the fluid was last changed. Currently the fluid is dark and has a burnt smell to it.
For the love of Lexus, don't use Dextron III or anything you can buy from Walmart/PepBoys. The 430's ATX uses 'exotic' friction surfaces that requires a different ATF formulation. Just get a case of Toyota ATF from your favorite auction site or even a dealer - it's not massively overpriced or expensive. If the new ATF kills your ATX after 30k miles you might have been better to keep your old oil. (Although burnt ATF means you're seriously overdue for a change.)

As for changing the ATX filter - fortunately it's probably unnecessary. Engine oil filters primarily remove combustion byproducts that would otherwise interfere with lubrication - metal shavings are a very minor secondary component that the filter catches and isn't the reason why they need changing regularly. No combustion happens in the ATX, and any shavings will mostly collect in the pan. So it's very unlikely that you'll have a clogged filter situation.

Finally, if you're super lazy and have an 01-03, sucking out the ATF through the dipstick and replacing, then repeating 3x times over the period of a few weeks between each change will get you 90% of the benefit with very little work. It'll be more than good enough to protect your ATX which is what it's all about in the end (unless you really love wrenching on stuff).

Last edited by alex870; 03-24-11 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-10-11, 04:25 PM
Mach1speed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If never changed may be problem

Originally Posted by trk1
Well the cars got 154k on it, I'm aware that it needs Dex3 type fluid. I 've owned it for about 3 years now & i don't have any record of when the fluid was last changed. Currently the fluid is dark and has a burnt smell to it.
If the fluid has never been changed you may end up with a slipping transmission after changing fluid. Burnt smell could be clutches worn out because fluid was not doing its job. If you do change fluid and transmission slips a band aide that may work or may not work is Lucus transmission additive. Burnt smell is not good for a transmission. Another bad sign, if you do decide to change fluid and remove trans pan, gray sludge in bottom of pan is a sign of clutch wear.

Older toyotas used dexron transmission fluid. Looks like your 96 es300 should be dexronIII (or the latest and greatest version of dexron). Follow owners manual to be sure.
Old 05-10-11, 06:46 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Transmission Fluied

Originally Posted by Mach1speed
If the fluid has never been changed you may end up with a slipping transmission after changing fluid. Burnt smell could be clutches worn out because fluid was not doing its job. If you do change fluid and transmission slips a band aide that may work or may not work is Lucus transmission additive. Burnt smell is not good for a transmission. Another bad sign, if you do decide to change fluid and remove trans pan, gray sludge in bottom of pan is a sign of clutch wear.

Older toyotas used dexron transmission fluid. Looks like your 96 es300 should be dexronIII (or the latest and greatest version of dexron). Follow owners manual to be sure.
Please, go to a Toyota Dealership and ask for the proper fluid, IF, and ONLY IF, you are not willing to let them do the entire job. Toyota's, as long as I've driven them, DO NOT use DEXTRON of any kind. They use Toyota Type III or Toyota Type IV fluid. Check with your Toyota Dealer and put the correct fluid in in. I've had Toyota's and Lexus cars, and NONE of them ever used Dexron Fluid, it wa always Toyota Type III or Type IV.

Good Luck
Old 05-13-11, 05:35 PM
silva1181
Pit Crew

Hi all. I have 2001 LS430, with 82000 miles on it. I have the full maintenance history as this car has been maintained by local lexus dealer by previous owner.

1) So, does my car require a transmission service/flush/fluid change, and if yes, at what mileage intervals? I dont have my manual immediately available to check.

2) on the maintenance record there are two dealer service comments. One dated in 2004, and the other in 2008. Both comments state:

"15k or 1 year whichever comes first. REPL eng oil&filter, air filter. Diagnos and inspect. Drain trans pan & repl diff fluid (NO trans fluid '04, GX470, LX470, LS430) insp brake, tires, batt, belts, hoes, etc...." This tranny comment dont' make sense to me. I checked with dealer and they claim tran fluid was likely done.

I have no issues with my car, tranny or otherwise and I am planning a long road to trip in two weeks where I will definitley put at least 3500 miles on the car. I was thinking about having the tranny serviced before I go, but now not sure if I should or even need to spend money on this type of service.

What do you think?

Last edited by silva1181; 05-13-11 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-13-11, 07:08 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Default Your Tranny on LS-430

Originally Posted by LAGS300GUY
Hi all. I have 2001 LS430, with 82000 miles on it. I have the full maintenance history as this car has been maintained by local lexus dealer by previous owner.

1) So, does my car require a transmission service/flush/fluid change, and if yes, at what mileage intervals? I dont have my manual immediately available to check.

2) on the maintenance record there are two dealer service comments. One dated in 2004, and the other in 2008. Both comments state:

"15k or 1 year whichever comes first. REPL eng oil&filter, air filter. Diagnos and inspect. Drain trans pan & repl diff fluid (NO trans fluid '04, GX470, LX470, LS430) insp brake, tires, batt, belts, hoes, etc...." This tranny comment dont' make sense to me. I checked with dealer and they claim tran fluid was likely done.

I have no issues with my car, tranny or otherwise and I am planning a long road to trip in two weeks where I will definitley put at least 3500 miles on the car. I was thinking about having the tranny serviced before I go, but now not sure if I should or even need to spend money on this type of service.

What do you think?
It is MY understanding your car DOES need to have the transmission serviced every X number of miles. I don't think the "Sealed Transmissions" came out until 2004-2006, where you can NEVER change the fluid, or do as the Dealer recommends and do it at about 75,000 to 100,000. They do NOT open the Transmission on those models, they flush the fluid out and replace it with a different fluid than your 2001. Yours, if I'm correct, uses Toyota Type IV Transmission Fluid. The later models, 2004-2006 use WSF (World Standard Fluid) and have sealed transmissions.

With all that said, I'd go over your service records with a service manager at the dealership and verify the transmission fluid had been being changed at regular intervals. I personally don't think it would hurt it to change it and clean the pan and filter. The pan has a giant magnet in there and it catch most metalic shavings. You can get by (unless you let the dealer do it) by washing the filter and re-filling the fluid with Totota Type IV Transmission fluid.

My fist LS-400 had 82,000 miles on it when I bought it and I was on the freeway and when I'd let up on the gas totally, then accellerate again, I felt the car "Shudder" when the tranny went back into play. Scared me to death. I took it and had a friend drop the pan, clean it all up and replace with new Toyota Type IV fluid and NEVER hadn another issue.

Good luck and enjoy the trip
Old 05-13-11, 07:35 PM
silva1181
Pit Crew

Thanks Carnut. I was able to review my owners maintenance manual and it does say to replace tran fluid at 60k, but only if the car is driven under "special driving conditions", such as towing, snow, mud, dirt road conditions", otherwise not required. Than again at 120k it recommends another change, but again only if car is driven under these extreme conditions. I am confident that my car was not driven under these extreme conditions, and driven about 7900 miles a year.

But as a precaution I am planning to speak to the service manager and reveiw the history, because it does appear to me that the previous owner followed the recommended maintenance schedule to the "T", and there is a record for the tran fluid change at about 66k miles. So, I need to go to dealer to see full details.

I had the same uncertainty with the timing belt service. I am under the 90k miles, but past the 7 year mark for this service. On the history report it said that in 2009 the TB service was recommended at 72k miles to customer, and that a full time belt svcs was done. But there were additional comments that "customer declined" TB svcs, so it doesn't make sense. And to boot, on my car front engine compartment frame, hidden under the radiator black plastic cover, I found a lexus sticker which reads "last timing belt service/record", done March 2009 at about 72k miles, and even has mechanics initials and dealer location #. I also checked with service dept and they reviewed detailed history and confirmed that based on total cost that customer paid which was about $700 just for parts that the TB was in fact done. He said total cost was close to $1600.

I think I'm in good condition with Tranny, but because I am preparing for this long road trip I want to be sure to do whatever recommended svcs that may need to be done before I hit the road.

Thanks again!
Old 05-13-11, 09:26 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Default Tranny

Originally Posted by LAGS300GUY
Thanks Carnut. I was able to review my owners maintenance manual and it does say to replace tran fluid at 60k, but only if the car is driven under "special driving conditions", such as towing, snow, mud, dirt road conditions", otherwise not required. Than again at 120k it recommends another change, but again only if car is driven under these extreme conditions. I am confident that my car was not driven under these extreme conditions, and driven about 7900 miles a year.

But as a precaution I am planning to speak to the service manager and reveiw the history, because it does appear to me that the previous owner followed the recommended maintenance schedule to the "T", and there is a record for the tran fluid change at about 66k miles. So, I need to go to dealer to see full details.

I had the same uncertainty with the timing belt service. I am under the 90k miles, but past the 7 year mark for this service. On the history report it said that in 2009 the TB service was recommended at 72k miles to customer, and that a full time belt svcs was done. But there were additional comments that "customer declined" TB svcs, so it doesn't make sense. And to boot, on my car front engine compartment frame, hidden under the radiator black plastic cover, I found a lexus sticker which reads "last timing belt service/record", done March 2009 at about 72k miles, and even has mechanics initials and dealer location #. I also checked with service dept and they reviewed detailed history and confirmed that based on total cost that customer paid which was about $700 just for parts that the TB was in fact done. He said total cost was close to $1600.

I think I'm in good condition with Tranny, but because I am preparing for this long road trip I want to be sure to do whatever recommended svcs that may need to be done before I hit the road.

Thanks again!
I have some good friends that are Lexus Techs and they say to not "worry" about the timing belt until about 100,000 miles, but keep a close eye on the water pump. Any leaking, strange squeaking or whatever up there, get it to the shop ASAP. They say they have NEVER seen a Lexus timing belt break that was not caused by the water pump seizing up and since the timing belt rides on it, it breaks the belt. Bad news if your belt breaks on that year Lexus. Good news is just pay attention to the water pump, weird sounds, water leaks under the front center and if you detect any of that, get your belt changed, and a new water pump changed also, since there is no additional labor cost since it comes off anyway. I finally did my timing belt on my 1993 LS-400 at about 120,000 just to be on the safe side.

I agree you need to determine if yours has been changed. If so, you are good for another 100,000 miles or more.

Good luck.
Old 05-14-11, 09:56 AM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I had a Toyota dealer flush my trans out at about 90k miles. Replace it with WS fluid. Car is doing fine.
I have a 2004 ML

Last edited by toantran99; 05-14-11 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-07-11, 11:58 AM
fangtl
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for bring a dead topic back to life but my E55 stated lifetime ATF as well, but go and search 'failed transmission Mercedes' and draw your own conclusions. FWIW, MB has recently changed it stance to servicing the trans at 40k.
The following users liked this post:
stuckincal (10-05-19)
Old 09-05-11, 04:19 PM
chris81964
Driver

The fluid is not life time. I have an 05 and the fluid that came out of the trans was black I have 127000 miles using a pump and drain we are only able to do 2 qts at a time. Be doing it again next weekend till the fluid turns red again. There is no such thing as lifetime fluid. I would not trust the fluid to go beyond 50000 miles.
Old 09-06-11, 07:15 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

If I ever said the '05 Lexus tranny fluid was lifetime, I may have had too many. The Dealerships may say that, but I do not agree with that theory. My 05 LS-430 has 71,000 on it and never a problem with the original fluid. At this time I plan to have it ALL flushed out and replaced at about 75,000 miles just to give me peace of mind.
Old 09-12-11, 02:44 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Its more likely that the fluid will last the life time of the warranty. After the warranty runs out thens its YOUR problem.
The following users liked this post:
stuckincal (10-05-19)
Old 09-12-11, 06:04 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Default LS0430 Transmission Fluid

Originally Posted by gripau1
Its more likely that the fluid will last the life time of the warranty. After the warranty runs out thens its YOUR problem.
For those that are fretting over their transmission fluid "cratering" their Lexus Tranny, Huyandai has a 100,000 miles and ten (10) year drive train Warranty on their new cars, for the original owner. You might look into that car, as its come a long way and is frankly, a nice car.

Otherwise, if you can't run with the big dogs, may as well lay on the porch.

Old 09-12-11, 12:31 PM
alex870
Driver School Candidate

Some people run their car engines without changing the oil - it usually catches up to them at around the 25k mile mark. If car warranties were 15k miles, they'd call it "world oil" and remove the dipstick. Doesn't change the fact that changing the oil well before failure is advisable. And that lubricant failure always comes at some point.

Hyundai's will probably barely make it to 150k before major servicing is needed. The 430 will run much longer than that, so different rules apply than for shorter design life cars. Just like for a 15k car that never "needs" an oil change.
Old 11-09-11, 01:18 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

I want to try this, what happend to the pictures in the first pages ? They dont work any more....

Quick Reply: DIY For Transmission Flush