LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

DIY For Transmission Flush

Old 10-08-10, 07:58 AM
alex870
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's all about the TCO

In all of the threads I've not seen anyone nail the motivation behind the 2004+ no ATF change policy. Lexus and other manufacturers are very sensitive about total cost of ownership (TCO). If their regular maintenance schedule calls for ATF replacement, then they get hit with a higher TCO vs. their competition.

Skeptical? It's almost a universal truth that Lexus parts are practically 2x the price of the same part made by the same OEM (i.e. Aisin) - but not officially badged as Lexus. There are a few exceptions to this rule, like the 430's waterpump. The Lex dealers charge the same price ($99) as you'd pay for the Aisin part. Why no mark up here - attack of conscience? Hardly.

It's because the water pump figures into TCO calculations, so they're deliberately not marking up the item to reduce TCO figures. Same with the ATF T-IV - you'd think it would be $12 a quart, but it's not. Again, it counts against TCO, so they don't bend you over a barrel on it. You'll see this pattern frequently: they'll forgo their markup profits on items that count against TCO.

About seven years ago, car manufacturers got the bright idea that they could get away with not changing the ATF at all. Take it out of the maintenance schedule and they lower their TCO figures - great (for them)! But recognize they're doing this at your peril. They've done a calculation and determined they can get away with it. And that's all. Just because they don't officially recommend it anymore doesn't mean it's not the best thing to do for the longevity of your vehicle.

The people saying "Lexus knows best" aren't considering that all the mechanical advice given is tainted by company politics, and sometimes the engineers who know better are told to shut up and sit in a corner by the suits. What other pausible explanation is there?

(1) The six speed is magically engineered to never wear out it's ATF?
(2) Lexus and other manufacturers were wrong for years about the need to change ATF prior to 2004?
(3) <insert you favorite conspiracy theory here>

The final give-away is that they have to make an exception for towing. That tells you everything you need to know: they're pushing things to the limit and figure they'll get away with it (until the ATF turns black and kills your ATX, but that's well beyond their warranty concerns).

I don't expect everyone to believe me - some people believe the moon landing was faked...so be it; there's no point debating irrational people. But hopefully this will ring true to most who read it.
The following users liked this post:
stuckincal (10-05-19)
Old 10-08-10, 03:15 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good post Alex,I'm inclined to agree with you. 99% of policy made by manufacturers is on a cost vs benefit analysis.

Toyota in Australia (and possibly the US also) put the oil change interval up to 15k km on the 30series camrys,up from 10k to cheapen the TCO,and to remain competitive in the marketing game versus other manufacturers. What happened? They started losing engines and paying for them under warranty when they started gunking up and spinning bearings. That would have hurt their bottom line and in the dealership we were told to go back to recommending a 10k km interval... The gamble with reliability vs marketing didn't pay off in that case.

The gearbox is a mechanical part and it wears. the fluid is going to suffer. You cannot escape that fact and like it or not,there is no magical fluid out there that can last indefinitely.
If you drive the car hard,it needs to be changed. If you want the car to last,it has to be changed. If you're the manufacturer,it just has to last a bit beyond the end of the warranty period.

Do your own cost analysis. does a new gearbox cost less than a fluid flush? No? Quandry solved,change the oil.

Justin...

Last edited by fergo308; 10-08-10 at 03:25 PM. Reason: typo...
stuckincal (10-05-19)
Old 11-13-10, 11:11 AM
johnnKurtz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perfect, now I have something to do today!
Old 11-13-10, 12:17 PM
nkoppy
Rookie

So if Lexus says wait until 100k for transmission service, does anybody know WHAT (procedure-wise) is done at that point? You can change the fluid, but what about the filter?!? After 100k, that thing can't be working very efficiently anymore. Do they change the filter at that time?
Old 11-17-10, 07:43 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default LS-430 Tranny Fluid/Filter

Originally Posted by nkoppy
So if Lexus says wait until 100k for transmission service, does anybody know WHAT (procedure-wise) is done at that point? You can change the fluid, but what about the filter?!? After 100k, that thing can't be working very efficiently anymore. Do they change the filter at that time?
According to a good friend of mine (a Lexus Tech), he says they only pump new fluid in until all the darker fluid looks new and that's all. The tranny is a sealed unit so they apparently don't open it up. My older LS-400's had a huge magnet in the lowest part of the pan and the filter was never really clogged. We would wash it off, clean the magnet and pan and re-fill with Type IV Toyota fluid. The fluid used now, on the later LS-430's uses WS-Fluid (World Standard) which has a much longer useful life. One has to be their own judge on if/when to change the tranny fluid.
Old 03-14-11, 03:05 PM
trk1
Rookie

Wheres the pics?
I really need to change the fluid on my 96 es300
Old 03-14-11, 05:23 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by trk1
Wheres the pics?
I really need to change the fluid on my 96 es300
I'd suggest you get it changed with the appropriate fluid specified in the owner's manual. It is probably Type III or Type IV Toyota Transmission Fluid. You didn't mention how long it's been since you changed it, or how many miles are on the car. The WS Fluid (World Standard) is for later model LS Models according to my Lexus Tech.

Good luck.
Old 03-14-11, 09:23 PM
Viper6
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Right. Unfortunately, he's correct for an LS430 from MY 2004 - 2006. They're filled with Toyota WS ATF at the factory and they're not intended to be serviced. The T-IV fluid found in previous model years definitely requires service.

Some units, like those found in the 2IS cars don't have a heat exchanger in the radiator - they actually run coolant all the way to the gearbox, so you couldn't change the fluid no matter how much you'd like to unless you remove the pan, and this only changes 2 liters of an 9 liter system. Hardly worth the effort.

Add to this a rather PITA procedure for setting the fluid level after you've monkeyed with the thing Lexus very specifically says to leave alone, and it's even LESS worth the hassle.

So, if you want to persist on changing your oil every 3k miles and your ATF every 30k because it worked in dad's '57 Chevy, be my guest. I'll follow the engineer's recommendations (not the tech's recommendations after a few beers at the bar) because the guy who designed, built, and tested the unit probably knows a whole lot more about the gearbox than the tech who is working on it.

I haven't owned 30 cars in the last 10 years. I'm not running a used car lot. I have however done a lot of work on motorcycles, cars, and aircraft. I'm also one of a very few Supra owners who has rebuilt his own Getrag.

I'll take Lexus's word for it. It a lifetime fill.

And yes, the 2IS forum argued all the same arguments I've seen here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-and-fill.html
SO I'm guessing you had to rebuild your Getrag because you followed the manufacturers suggested fluid change intervals then eh?

stuckincal (10-05-19)
Old 03-15-11, 12:03 AM
svlexus
Driver

its common knowledge at any tranny shop that a fluid change can ruin the trans. That is why lexus doesnt reccomend it, even my 2002 with type 4 fluid says dont change it in the manual.
if theres 100 cars and a fluid change makes 3 break, and they wouldve all kept going then it a bad plan.

Last edited by svlexus; 03-15-11 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-15-11, 04:30 AM
lex2001
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

SVLexus,
Type four fluid needs to be changed. Maybe you misread something in the owners manual. WS fluid is changed at 100,000 miles.
Old 03-15-11, 07:41 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lex2001
SVLexus,
Type four fluid needs to be changed. Maybe you misread something in the owners manual. WS fluid is changed at 100,000 miles.
Yes, even Lexus doesn't recommend the ES Models oil to be changed before 5,000 miles. My Sevice Manager at the Dealership says, "If you are concerned about your LS-430, we would "Flush" new fluid in and get the old out at 75,000 miles, but I sure don't recommend doing it before then. Or wait until 100,000, your choice". No, they don't break open a sealed tranny and clean any filter on the LS-430 2004-2006, just flush out the old fluid which is WS (World Standard).

ES models probably should have the tranny fluid changed every 20,000 or so, or whatever your "Trusted" Dealership says. The LS-430's I'm talking about do not even have tranny fluid dipsticks.
Old 03-17-11, 03:25 PM
trk1
Rookie

Well the cars got 154k on it, I'm aware that it needs Dex3 type fluid. I 've owned it for about 3 years now & i don't have any record of when the fluid was last changed. Currently the fluid is dark and has a burnt smell to it.
Old 03-17-11, 04:21 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Well the cars got 154k on it, I'm aware that it needs Dex3 type fluid. I 've owned it for about 3 years now & i don't have any record of when the fluid was last changed. Currently the fluid is dark and has a burnt smell to it.
I think Type IV replaced type III. Yes, It probably needs changing, but good luck if it's never been changed.
Old 03-19-11, 02:48 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
Also, are there aftermarket type T-IV fluids at the auto shop or walmart? If so, is there a difference between toyota ATF and other brands of "toyota t-iv"?
For the sake of your transmission (and pocket book) I would stick with Toyota Type IV Transmission fluid. We can just squeeze a penny so hard until we don't get the needed "juice" out of it any longer. Stick with the "Real Stuff" and I think you will have better peace of mind.
Old 03-19-11, 02:51 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

After sleeping on your statement about "DEX3", I became a bit concerned about what you were really speaking of. Please do not confuse "DEXTRON" with Toyota Type IV Transmission Fluid. Dextron was made for years (and may still be) for GM cars and such. Type IV replaced Toyota Type III thus I HIGHLY recommend you buy your Toyota Type IV from a reputable Dealership or parts house that carries Toyota Fluid, NOT "DEX" anything. Just Toyota Type IV fluid.

Good luck.
stuckincal (10-05-19)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY For Transmission Flush