LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lowered the UCF30! Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-08, 05:13 PM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lowered the UCF30! Pics

So the story so far, I decided to forget the $750 data systems air controller, I started looking at the lowering sensors on the car. I looked at how low it would go with fully tightening the turnbuckles. Well it was low but now low enough. So after looking at the sensor mounts I thought i could space the lower mount to the outside or inside on the mount and effectively fool the sensor to think the wheel is lower and thus pull the wheel up by lowering the car. This in theory would work out great and allow me to ride low in normal mode and then hit the Hi Height mode and go up to clear speed bumps and entrances. So I started looking around and thought hey 1" mending brackets from my tool box from when I did some cabinets. Woot! Woot! So i bolted the brackets front and rear with the buckles tightened all the way down. Started the car and watched it go down. I was giddy like a school child! LOL! Well to my dismay the rear didn’t go down as low. But i left it at the current height. I then hit the hi switch. Well the rear shot up about 2 inches but the front stayed tucked. Well i guess the front doesn't react as fast as the rear. I backed it out of the garage and driveway, which took a lil bit longer than anticipated due to the car sitting so low. Took it for a ride and I was sure the ride was going be horrible, yeah the ride was horrendous. It bounced and bobbed all over the place i was laughing at how my car rode like my buddy's civic. I then hit the sport mode button and the car leveled out and was more stable but the ride was stiff, too stiff. I then hit the Hi button and the ride was ten times better after driving for about 30 mins in hi mode I pulled over and took a look at the car. The rear was like 4 inches from the tire and the front was tucking tire!!! The front got lower! LOL! So now I am going to adjust the front and raise it about 1/2" hoping that would level the car and give me a better ride. So on to the pics and comments welcome. The fitment on the wheels is kinda weak I need to get spacers for the front abotu 10mm in front and about 15mm out back.

Here is the LS430 with regular ride height.

Here it is with the front adjusted the lowest and the rear still needing to go down about 1/2" to 1" or i will raise the front like 1/2" to even it out.

Old 01-19-08, 05:14 PM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

Old 01-19-08, 06:00 PM
anotherLS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good! great way to save money on doing some "MacGyver" type fabrication! wish i had factory air....ah well gotta save for some coilovers
Old 01-19-08, 06:31 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

lsflame,

Nice job tricking the sensors car looks alot meaner lowered.. Would you be so kind to take some pictures of the sensors and how you used the mending brackets?

Thanks,

Ken
Old 01-19-08, 07:03 PM
racinstyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

nice job with the sensors
Old 01-19-08, 07:06 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice stance!!
Old 01-19-08, 07:08 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

That looks so much better
Old 01-19-08, 07:26 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Looks nice, good job
Old 01-19-08, 07:48 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Love seeing lowered LS's. I like the wheels too.
Old 01-19-08, 11:01 PM
teamplayer
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks sweet.

I guess you're gonna just live with the crappy ride?
Old 01-19-08, 11:28 PM
suprandsc
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, looks muuuuuuch better.
I like the wheels too, What are they and what size are they?

JP
Old 01-19-08, 11:54 PM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

wheels are from a friend that i bought don't know the brand but at the price they were for sale it was worth it for the 19s and they look good. The crappy ride has evened out and now rides smooth. That is with the suspension on normal mode. In Hi height the ride becomes, dare I say, "stock." just go to your local home depot and ask for 2" mending plates and purchase some bolts to fit through the holes. they are basically $4 piece of steel that has a bolt hole on each end. then insert them into the lower sensor bracket holes and bolt the ball joint end to the other side. For the front you place the mending brackets towards the inside of the car and for the rear you place the mending brackets towards the outside. When I hit the Hi height mode the car raises and rides smooth as rails and I can clear everything. I will post pics tomorrow night. Right now its 16 degrees outside and I am too tired. Thanks for all the compliments guys! Happy modding....
Old 02-26-08, 09:17 AM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Bumping this thread..................

I too have manullly lowered my UL..on my stock 18's.

the back looks good with minor adjustments.....but the front after turning the rod all the way........looks like it could use another half inch to an inch lower and it would look sweeeeet

I'm not talking about slamming it....(that will come with data controller) just looking for a tiny bit more up front.....

SO, My question is.......fabricating and all that sounds great......but what are your thaughts on just simply cutting a small piece of the rod and welding it back together???? The rod is not Load bearing, thats why I think that would be more effective???
Thaughts?????????

Old 02-26-08, 01:21 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just got the grinder out, knocked off the end of the rod and added more threads with a tap n die set
Old 02-27-08, 12:09 PM
mikepae
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SO, My question is.......fabricating and all that sounds great......but what are your thaughts on just simply cutting a small piece of the rod and welding it back together???? The rod is not Load bearing, thats why I think that would be more effective???
Thaughts?????????

i paid a local machine shop $25 to shorten and rethread mine. make sure you have them add threads to the correct side of the rod.

Quick Reply: Lowered the UCF30! Pics