LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Am I glad I got the extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-08, 01:33 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Am I glad I got the extended warranty

My passenger side mirror only retracted half way last week so I took it in to the dealer this morning. Said it was covered under my extended 3year/100k so I said go ahead and fix. They replaced it due to a bad motor and when I said replaced, they replaced the whole thing, glass, housing, everything. The invoice said $613.89 for the part and 0.5 hour labor at $50.00 and it came to $663.89, Yikes

Only thing they didn't cover was my clear 3M rock protection that was on the previous mirror. Told me it was $50 for them to put on. I declined.

If I wasn't covered under warranty, I would of just left the mirror in the driving position as I rarely park in parking lots.
Old 01-07-08, 02:28 PM
biga27110
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by airtime
My passenger side mirror only retracted half way last week so I took it in to the dealer this morning. Said it was covered under my extended 3year/100k so I said go ahead and fix. They replaced it due to a bad motor and when I said replaced, they replaced the whole thing, glass, housing, everything. The invoice said $613.89 for the part and 0.5 hour labor at $50.00 and it came to $663.89, Yikes

Only thing they didn't cover was my clear 3M rock protection that was on the previous mirror. Told me it was $50 for them to put on. I declined.

If I wasn't covered under warranty, I would of just left the mirror in the driving position as I rarely park in parking lots.
i had the same problem, it seems one closes and shuts faster then the other now because of new motor vs old i think. Anyways my question was when you put it in reverse does the passenger side mirror angle downward? Mine doesnt and i cant remember if it used too. i have an 02 ls430
Old 01-07-08, 02:30 PM
airtime

Originally Posted by biga27110
i had the same problem, it seems one closes and shuts faster then the other now because of new motor vs old i think. Anyways my question was when you put it in reverse does the passenger side mirror angle downward? Mine doesnt and i cant remember if it used too. i have an 02 ls430
I believe to angle the mirror down, you need to click the mirror adjustment selector to the passenger setting and leave it there IIRC.
Old 01-08-08, 10:27 AM
scottmcc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For mirrors to angle downward in reverse you need to have the mirror adjustment to either left or right. IF it is in the middle the mirrors will not angle downward in reverse.
Old 01-10-08, 12:16 PM
lexusthai
Driver

[QUOTE=airtime;3175259]My passenger side mirror only retracted half way last week so I took it in to the dealer this morning. Said it was covered under my extended 3year/100k so I said go ahead and fix. QUOTE]

You know, this happens to me a lot, sometimes they don't fold back out all the way. One some days they do, on some days they don't! What bother me is the last two times I took my car to the dealer, the darn mirrors worked fine!
Old 01-10-08, 01:43 PM
airtime

[QUOTE=lexusthai;3183125]
Originally Posted by airtime
My passenger side mirror only retracted half way last week so I took it in to the dealer this morning. Said it was covered under my extended 3year/100k so I said go ahead and fix. QUOTE]

You know, this happens to me a lot, sometimes they don't fold back out all the way. One some days they do, on some days they don't! What bother me is the last two times I took my car to the dealer, the darn mirrors worked fine!
You know, I had complained to the dealer a while back that both my mirrors had a slight mechanical whirling sound when they retract and the service advisor just says its normal. Now that they swapped out a new passenger side, it is virtually silent on that side while the driver side still makes that noise. I actually hope it breaks now so I get a new one . Same goes with the retractable steering column. It made a whirling noise and they fixed it and now its silent.
Old 01-10-08, 04:43 PM
mixednuts
Driver School Candidate

I finally left mine in extended position. My extended warranty ran out last month. I have had two replaced on the driver side and one on the passenger side replaced in the last 3 years.
Old 01-11-08, 12:47 AM
drink300
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=airtime;3183356]
Originally Posted by lexusthai

You know, I had complained to the dealer a while back that both my mirrors had a slight mechanical whirling sound when they retract and the service advisor just says its normal. Now that they swapped out a new passenger side, it is virtually silent on that side while the driver side still makes that noise. I actually hope it breaks now so I get a new one . Same goes with the retractable steering column. It made a whirling noise and they fixed it and now its silent.
Same thing happening to me. My passenger side mirror makes a whirring sound and open much slower than the driver side. My warranty is up, so let's hope it doesn't get worse.
Old 01-11-08, 08:34 AM
sid02
Driver School Candidate

I have had the same problems usually when it rains. I believe the problem is caused in some cases because of grime/dirt under the mirror casing. In my case I've cleaned out the gunk which is a black film between the stationary part and the moving side mirror and no more problems.

Last edited by sid02; 01-12-08 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-11-08, 10:18 AM
airtime

Originally Posted by sid02
I have had the some problems usually when it rains. I believe the problem is caused in some cases because of grime/dirt under the mirror casing. In my case I've cleaned out the gunk which is a black film between the stationary part and the moving side mirror and no more problems.
Good to know, I'll try that out on my driver side. BTW, does yours make any motor noise when retracting or detracting (not sure if that's the right term).
Old 01-12-08, 04:46 PM
sid02
Driver School Candidate

I don't recall any motor noise but will check next time it happens. Also, you can try shooting some silicone to help the retracting mechanism.
Old 01-13-08, 10:16 PM
Hybrid-JD
Rookie

Default wd40

i had the problem of one only closing half way.. i used some WD-40 .. sprayed some on and it worked perfectly fine again. So hope that helps.
Old 01-15-08, 03:30 PM
DRWChicago
Driver School Candidate

Same issue here with the passenger side. Really bad when it was cold out. They replaced the whole mirror. The only issue is that the glass on the mirror is VERY reflective around the far right edge and is annoying as ****. I'm tempted to take it back in, as it was not like that on the previous mirror.

Tried WD-40, but that didn't fix it.

I assume that the replacement ships all in one piece...does the dealer have to put the glass on themselves? Maybe they just didn't set the mirror well enough.

-rob
Old 01-16-08, 09:20 AM
airtime

DRW, on your replacement mirror, is it tinted at all or auto dimming at night? Curious to see how a mirror and be more reflect in one place than another? I'm trying to imaging what that would be like.