LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How many have extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-07, 12:14 PM
mannye
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default How many have extended warranty?

If you go the extended warranty through Lexus I am very interested in finding out how much you paid and how exactly it works.

I have never bought an extended warranty before, but the potential large expense of a broken nav system and the fact that I want to keep my 04 LS for at least another three years which will get me into the 90 to 100K mileage range makes me think a couple grand on a zero-deductible platinum level extended warranty might be a good bet.

At least I know I will enjoy the peace of mind it brings!

Also, can I shop around online with out of state dealers to get the best price?

Has anyone here actually had service done under one of these warranties and what was the experience like?
Old 09-12-07, 12:57 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been shopping around for one for sometime now. Still have sometime to go, and I've been somewhat lazy in my search.

However, keep in mind that price is negotiable, and is different from dealer to dealer with the same benefits. I have found the lowest to be about 2000 (or 1800) I cant remember, and the highest to be $3000.

I also found a dealer that will refund the entire amount if you dont use your warrenty... now of course, that can work both ways. (the catch is they are hoping you pay for all the small stuff, until something big happens, and you end up using the warrenty... (they can be very creative in finding problems) if you dont ever use it, they would have kept your money for 3 years, and we all know the time value of money).

Let me know if you stumble on any better deals. Unless I sell the car out of the blue, I'm definitely going to purchase one.

EDIT: YES, YOU CAN SHOP OUT OF STATE. Some dealers dont even require an on-location inspection (why would they anyways since the car is already under warranty???), and will sell you the warranty regardless of your location. Let me know what you have found, and we can share numbers, and hopefully locate something.
Old 09-13-07, 06:15 PM
ccs2a
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought (about a month ago) an 04 ultra with 31k miles. It was CPO so it came with a 3 year up to 100k warranty. I'm like you, I never bought a warranty in the past but the potential for huge repairs made me interested. So, I decided to get the 6 year 125k platinum warranty. That gives me 6 years and 94k miles of completely worry free driving. The ultra has a LOT of options, each one being pretty expensive to fix.

In any event, I feel I over paid for the warranty (from what I've heard others getting), but I had to buy it at the time of purchase and I traveled out of state to get the car. So, bottom line, I paid $2650 for the 6 year 125k platinum warranty.

6 years of worry free diving is worth quite a reasonable amount to me, I guess to each their own.
Old 09-13-07, 06:44 PM
mixednuts
Driver School Candidate

Just in the last year my extended warranty has more than paid for itself. Replacing the struts on the air suspension cost over $3000.00 Will never by another car without an extended Lexus warranty.
Old 09-14-07, 11:52 AM
mannye
Pit Crew

Thanks for the replies! I will post everything I find and hopefully will be able to help some of us.

I have one more question. The warranty we buy starts when the original warranty ends correct? In other words, if I get the 6 year 100K mile warranty I am going to be covered under that warranty when my car's warranty RUNS OUT right? So it begins at 50K or (in my case) October 08 right?

I know that seems like a silly question,. but I have learnes the hard way never to assume anything, no matter how reasonable it may seem, with a car dealer.
Old 09-14-07, 03:18 PM
mixednuts
Driver School Candidate

My Warranty from Lexus as Certified Vehicle covered 3 years or up to 100,000 miles. This was not in addition to the original warranty.
Old 09-14-07, 04:53 PM
ccs2a
Driver School Candidate

It is not in addition to your warranty. The 6 year 100k warranty means that from the date you purchase it, it will last for 6 years or 100k miles. So, if you have the CPO that comes with your car, then you already get a 3 year up to 100k warranty. The extra warranty just extends that to be a 6 year up to 100k warranty (giving you the additional 3 years, but no extra miles).
Old 09-14-07, 10:21 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by ccs2a
It is not in addition to your warranty. The 6 year 100k warranty means that from the date you purchase it, it will last for 6 years or 100k miles. So, if you have the CPO that comes with your car, then you already get a 3 year up to 100k warranty. The extra warranty just extends that to be a 6 year up to 100k warranty (giving you the additional 3 years, but no extra miles).
Exactly. You also dont have to purchase it at hte time of purchase like some dealers make customers believe. As long as your car is under warrenty, your good to go.
Old 09-15-07, 05:51 AM
jgrooms
Driver

What about cars out of factory warranty? Can you purchase an extended warranty for them? I have a 2001 LS w/56k miles.
Old 09-15-07, 08:47 PM
Patric
Pole Position

It sounds like the best bet is to wait until either your factory warranty or your CPO warranty is about to expire before purchasing any extended warranty. That way there is no overlap and resulting loss of coverage years.

Pat
Old 09-17-07, 05:28 AM
mannye
Pit Crew

Good to know. With the distances out here, it's better to wait until the last minute because I use about 16K miles a year going back and forth to work.
Old 09-17-07, 12:56 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by Patric
It sounds like the best bet is to wait until either your factory warranty or your CPO warranty is about to expire before purchasing any extended warranty. That way there is no overlap and resulting loss of coverage years.

Pat
Actually, in this case, the warranty starts from the day the original warranty is up. So if you buy it today, and your car is brand new, it wont start until your car is 4 years old, or has accumulated 50,000 miles.

Once you hit 100K, you are not longer able to purchase the platinum warranty.

The previous scenario mentioned was in reference to his CPO warranty.
Old 09-17-07, 01:51 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mixednuts
Just in the last year my extended warranty has more than paid for itself. Replacing the struts on the air suspension cost over $3000.00 Will never by another car without an extended Lexus warranty.
Same here! I still have the Loaner RX400h until tomorrow when they drop my car off. This warranty is the best thing I could have purchased!

They replaced both front air shocks: $1100ea ($2200 for both)
Mark Levinson Sub: $550
Parking Sensor: $108
New rear Caliper: $340

So that totals: $3198.. EVERYTHING was covered under warranty!

I feel great for having spent $1600 for the warranty.

My warranty expires at 100k or 2 years BUT when I tried to extend it they said that you can't.
Old 09-19-07, 10:40 AM
rcpeters
Driver

Default Extended Warranty on 01 LS430 4 yrs 60K more miles

Originally Posted by jgrooms
What about cars out of factory warranty? Can you purchase an extended warranty for them? I have a 2001 LS w/56k miles.
I just bought a Western General extended warranty through an independent dealer for $2586, car had 63K miles on it. This is full coverage, $100. deductible, 48 months and 60K miles from now. By the way, it does not cover the Navigation System. That coverage was not offered. I bought the warranty when I bought the car from this dealer.

I have had GM and GE extended warranties on a Cadillac Catera. On that car I certainly got my money's worth. I have a 01 Jaguar XJ8 that came with their warranty and have not used it for anything but I did spend $1500 to have the radiator hoses replaced which the warranty did not cover. (Only water pump, thermostat, pulleys and radiator)

I am fearful of having to pay for major repairs that can approach the value of the car, so I will probably continue to have extended warranties on any car that costs over $12-15K. to replace. Saying this, I don't expect to need the warranty on my Lexus, but it gives me peace of mind.
Old 09-22-07, 05:00 AM
Carl_NH
Driver School Candidate

I bought an 04UL in June with 17K Mi and extended the Platinum 3yr 100K CPO warranty to 5 Yrs 125K for $1800 (dealer wanted $2150). Also they explained if this is not used Lexus will rebate this at the end of the term. I asked the detailed question - If the standard CPO covers the car to 3 yr 100K then what I purchased is 2 addl yrs and 25K and if I do not use this AFTER the CPO Lexus will refund this - the answer was Yes. I will need to wait for 3 years to find out if this is true..

My car is still under the 4/50 until Dec 07 but the 5 yr CPO started on the in service date - June 07 and runs to June 2012.

Dealer also stated it would be $4500 to purchase the same coverage after the fact - say 2 years later but still under CPO - this may have been a ploy.. In any event I felt the $1800 was fair plus rolled it into the 3.9%.