LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Buying a LS 430 on the net

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-07, 07:09 AM
dandg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a LS 430 on the net

Trying to buy a low mileage LS430 on the net and seeking input anyone who has gone down this road.
looking for 04 (like the newer bodystyle)430 with under 30K (prefer under 25K),so I have some Warranty protection
Don't need the Nav or the Ultra a "barebones" LS 430 would be just fine.
I have looked at the usual suspects,Ebay,Auto Trader with lots of research required and several dealers, to steer clear of.Of course carfax'd any potential buys.I have noticed that Lexus financial auctions off lease ones in different areas of country.Anyone know dealers(used car not Lexus they put way to much on their Used Cars) that deals in these in Northeast(willing to travel further for the right deal/car)?Any other tips appreciated.
Thanks
Old 04-29-07, 08:40 AM
6spd
Driver School Candidate

there are a lot of cpo ls430's that are reasonably priced on the net. usually the better condition models at dealers will have a free carfax check on their site. I am in the market, but have decided to wait it out until next year.
Old 04-29-07, 11:07 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought an 02 on ebay, good transaction.
Old 04-29-07, 11:20 AM
6spd
Driver School Candidate

nautical - not to slander your transaction, but buying through ebay seems like a risky approach, especially if the car is not conveniently located nearby for you to check it out(test drive, see if everything is in working order, etc.) did your experience through ebay meet or exceed your expectations? any regrets?
Old 04-29-07, 11:26 AM
dandg
Driver

Those CPO are nice but they seem to add quite a bit to the price.The Lexus dealers I see are putting 37-45K on 04's with low miles,while I see a few of these Ebay "dealers" that I suspect go to those regional auctions and buy the off lease ones taking 32-35.They seem to have long lists of satisfied buyers and many have been doing it for a long time.Seems like a good way to save a bit of money.
What does it cost the dealer to CPO a LS? I would not mind having the CPO but I don't know if its worth the extra they are putting on the car for it.
I have had pretty good sucess with Lexus and the one fault I did have (warped rotors) they wouldn't cover it anyway.
I guess I am figureing if I have 6-12 months of regular warranty that would cover any thing real expensive when I buy it.After that I feel I can handle "risking" any major problem.NauticalX, do you feel you saved over the local dealer?
thanks
Old 04-29-07, 11:54 AM
6spd
Driver School Candidate

dan - thanks for the insight! if it was just warped rotors being the only problem faced buying an ebay dealer, then that is not a big deal at all. expendable parts wear out anyway. to counter to your statement, I have seen some 04 cpo's that have been going for $36k with 50k miles or less. I would consider that a decent deal, considering the warranty is for 3 years and 100k miles. then again, maybe there are some things that I do not know about(i.e. lexus's reputation for extremely dependable cars warranting the warranty to 100k almost useless, things like that).

I for one, am not going to spend more than I have to, and if the cpo vehicle is about the same as non cpo vehicles, and have slightly higher but reasonable mileage, then I wouldn't rule those vehicles out.

thoughts?
Old 04-29-07, 12:10 PM
dandg
Driver

6spd,
your right, the warped rotors was not the end of the world and I am buying another Lexus (that was on my wifes RX330) because the other two choices,A BMW 5 series and the MB E class don't have the reliabilty(especailly the MB which I really like but don't want a troublesome one)of the Lexus.
With a 3 year 100k mile warranty,at least for me,yes you have peace of mind that anything major is covered,but you also are going to have to make some maintance stops at the Lexus dealer, which is very expensive,to keep them happy to help you when/or if the time comes you need something maginal (like those faulty rotors).
I see some of those 04's with 25-35Kmiles for that $36 and lower.I would rather have less miles and risk a bit of future repairs (I might even sell it when it gets to 50 and move on to a newer one) after my regular warranty comes up,at least with a Lexus,with a MB and their ele problems I would want the warranty.You know that CPO thing is s wonderfull "value added" feature for those dealers.Nothing wrong with it just not for me.
Old 04-29-07, 12:34 PM
6spd
Driver School Candidate

That is a pretty frugal approach, and with good intent. I like it. I guess I am just more concerned about the car being CPO'ed just for the wow factor, if anything. I am a DIY'er, so those maintenance stops at the dealer would be as infrequent as I can make it, unless it is software issues or pure laziness/convenience(ahem).

thanks for opening up my mind a little bit. saving every penny when buying a car counts.
Old 05-12-07, 08:11 PM
LANewsboy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 2001 LS430 off Craigslist in Los Angeles....it's a one-owner, 50K creampuff....dealer serviced....new tires....paid $21,000, the asking price...a very smooth transaction and a very high quality seller....i have a very favorable opinion of online purchases, provided you do due diligence on the vehicle and the seller, both online and over the fone.
Old 05-12-07, 08:50 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent place in Toms River, NJ (they have a few other locations in Jersey, too), if that's do-able. All 3-year old cars off lease, many Lexi. Search inventory and can see CarFax reports online. Very good reputation.

http://www.autolenders.com
Old 05-13-07, 06:16 AM
dandg
Driver

thanks for the posts.

LANewsboyI have done some searching on CL but I am up here in NH and have to go through the closer states with more people,they should have some national or region search feature.Thats goo it worked out with your 01

anonnebay, yes I have seen them on one of the sites,cars.com, or autotrader and I do check it to see if anything new comes in.It seem that Lakewood branch,has lower prices for some reason.
I want a 04 for the body changes and want black interior so that limits its down.I have seen a couple with that metallic silver like the one they have on there in mid 30's including one for $31.2k that had 30K on it(in Ohio) that I thought was a good price.Not sure I can warm up to the Silver thou as much as I like the others that have the black leather (Blue onyx,black cherry pearl,black onyx) My wife has the Flint Mica/black leather whihc I like but don't want two same color.

still enjoying the search and know a real nice low mileage one will pop up soon.
Old 05-13-07, 07:10 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Ebay is hit or miss. theres no overall consensus on it. There are shadsters on it and legitimate sellers. Some cars are on there because they are in poor condition or have just been on the lot too long. Then there are other cars on there in great condition. You really have to make a judgment call on it, there is risk but that is why the prices are near wholesale on there. You could be pleasantly surprised when you see it or you could be disappointed. I was satisfied but I imagine others may not have been. If you are someone who will be dissatisfied or unhappy because some nicks, scratches, and details were misrepresented, stay away from Ebay.
Old 05-13-07, 07:11 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Also, don't forget to do a carfax or autocheck on the vehicle.
Old 05-13-07, 10:06 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[I want a 04 for the body changes and want black interior so that limits its down.I have seen a couple with that metallic silver like the one they have on there in mid 30's ]

Well, that 04 silver LS might be the one I bought there two weeks ago. I'm very happy with it so far. It's immaculate. The experience was very good - no typical pressure; the test drive was without sales person, and for as long as we wanted; just overall good experience. (If you see anything there that you might be curious about, I'd go over to give it a walk-around for you, as I live pretty close.)
Old 05-14-07, 07:43 AM
dandg
Driver

aynonnebay,
thahst great you got that one and it worked out to be a good experience.I may take you up on going by there is they get one in the color combo I am looking for,thank you.Are they pretty frim on the price or is there a little room for offers?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Buying a LS 430 on the net