LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Question about "Smart Access" type functions

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-04, 07:13 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Question about "Smart Access" type functions

I have an '04 LS430 with the "Smart Access" option, but it has a traditional ignition switch to start the car, with an ACC position to open/close the windows and play the audio system. Several cars, including the new Acura RL and the BMW 745 have a similar system to "Smart Access", but use a button to start the car. I was wondering if those cars also have the functionallity of an accessory switch to power windows, audio, etc. without starting the car. Is anyone familiar with any of these other types of keyless systems?

Mike
Old 11-08-04, 10:00 AM
BMcD430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike - My 03 MB E500 had Keyless Go - MB's version of SmartAcess. If you had the key in your pocket you could get the accessories to come on without starting by just pressing the shifter "START" button. In order to start the car the brake pedal has to be pushed while pressing the button. Or you could put the key in the ignition!! The one thing I miss from the E500 was trunk operation. If I had unloced the car via keyless go, the trunk has a mechanical latch that unlocked as well. I don't like the fact that the LS430 only has an electronic latch. You always have to have the key with you or reach inside to pop the trunk. Not handy when I'm around the house and just want to get something out of or into the trunk. Just a nit.

Bruce
Old 11-08-04, 10:53 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally posted by BMcD430
Mike - My 03 MB E500 had Keyless Go - MB's version of SmartAcess. If you had the key in your pocket you could get the accessories to come on without starting by just pressing the shifter "START" button. In order to start the car the brake pedal has to be pushed while pressing the button. Or you could put the key in the ignition!! The one thing I miss from the E500 was trunk operation. If I had unloced the car via keyless go, the trunk has a mechanical latch that unlocked as well. I don't like the fact that the LS430 only has an electronic latch. You always have to have the key with you or reach inside to pop the trunk. Not handy when I'm around the house and just want to get something out of or into the trunk. Just a nit.

Bruce
Bruce, thanks for the explanation. I figured there was a way other designs had the accessory function, but I couldn't figure out how it should operate without a traditional type ignition switch. I agree it would be nice to have the ability to unlock the trunk along with the doors on the LS.

Mike
Old 05-16-05, 01:18 PM
bigDlexus
Driver

Originally Posted by MikeP
Bruce, thanks for the explanation. I figured there was a way other designs had the accessory function, but I couldn't figure out how it should operate without a traditional type ignition switch. I agree it would be nice to have the ability to unlock the trunk along with the doors on the LS.

Mike
Are you sure that you can't push the "open" button that is to the right of the backup camera on the trunk? Maybe the 04 doesn't have it, but my 05 has a button on the trunk that I can push to open the trunk and I have the transponder in my pocket.

It is a very non-descript rubber button about as big as a quarter. Take a look and let us know.
Old 05-16-05, 09:43 PM
BMcD430
Driver

BigD - It has to do with the fact that I usually don't have the key in my pocket when I'm working in the garage. The only way you can use that rubber button is with the key in your pocket. I wish it was more like my wife's RX330 - if the car's unlocked just grab the handle and lift. Or if truly lazy use the motorized liftgate feature! Have fun!
Old 05-17-05, 03:09 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BMcD430

Bruce

The New GS works the same way.
Old 05-20-05, 11:36 PM
XZLR8
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BMcD430
Mike - My 03 MB E500 had Keyless Go - MB's version of SmartAcess. If you had the key in your pocket you could get the accessories to come on without starting by just pressing the shifter "START" button. In order to start the car the brake pedal has to be pushed while pressing the button.
That's how it works in my 745 as well. Push the START button without the brake pedal being pressed to get to the accessory functions.