LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

2003 vs. 2004

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-03, 06:21 AM
tiger430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 vs. 2004

This seems to be a good time to buy a new Lexus LS. Should I wait and get the 04 or not? I'm really torn about what to do. The pictures of the 04 do not look that different to me---am I wrong? Somebody give me some guidance on this. Will an 04 be worth enough more in two or three years that it really won't make any difference? Is there a step up in technology on the 04 that is significant? HELP!
Old 09-01-03, 07:49 AM
mink92890
Lead Lap

04' has a 6 speed automatic, 4th gen nav. and some more colors it got a backup camera, and most new features in the rx330
Old 09-01-03, 08:57 AM
2512Salem
Driver School Candidate

I just picked up a new LS430 this week for this same reason. I purchased a 2003 new realizing that the 2004 models will arrive in September. The selection on the lot was very limited but I was able to get a great deal given the impending new models. I was able to negotiate them down to $1.5K over invoice which seemed like a good deal to me. Add in that they just happened to have the exact color and option combination that I was looking for and I'm pretty happy.

A few things that I would consider: The pricing hasn't been announced but it is probably likely that they will see a 2-3% price increase for 2004, at least according to my dealer. He also mentioned that they always sell LS430s for sticker price for the first six months of the new model run. Of course he was trying to sell me a car, so his motives are a bit suspect, but when you add these two things together (not paying the price increase nor the sticker price) I figure I saved about $8.0K versus buying the car a month from now.

The changes to the transmission would of course be nice, but I couldn't be happier with the automatic that is currently in the car. It's certainly not a problem area that I would feel needs to be addressed but rather just represents an improvement. The new NAV with the integrated camera would be nice but of course should only be considered if you were going to purchase the NAV system which goes without saying. I was surprised at how few LS430s enter the states with a NAV system so apparently most people aren't searching for this option anyway.

There is also a slight change in the colors that are being offered so you could be more or less happy depending on how things sort out. The color that I was looking for, parchment, is actually being discontinued so I was glad to get the 2003. Of course they'll probably have a similar color in 2004, but you never know.

All in all I couldn't be happier with car. The depreciation risks (owning an older bodystyle when newer ones are available) doesn't worry me all that much since the changes appear to be fairly small and I was able to get a good deal versus the sticker price. So there's really less car there to depreciate. And I personally feel better having paid $56 for the car versus having paid $63-$65 for the new model. Both figures are expensive of course but I am sleeping better at night.
Old 09-01-03, 08:11 PM
darchtop
Driver School Candidate

I am also faced with the same decision....2003 vs 2004. I have decided to wait on the 2004, even though it will cost me more. I don't care too much about the exterior differences, but really like the idea of the upgraded NAV (although it is just a toy to me) and some of the other small extras that will be offered.

The new transmission is appealing as are the smart key, the standard rear window shade (without purchasing the Ultra luxury package), the adaptive headlights, tire pressure monitors (also just a novelty to me), etc.

My local dealer also said that they will be selling at sticker price for the first six months or so. Does anyone know if that really holds true once you let them know that you will shop around over several states? I don't mean the first week or so, but at least before Christmas rolls around.

It really goes against my principals to pay sticker price. I figure it is worth it to wait until the excitement dies down a bit and things get back to normal.
Old 09-02-03, 01:47 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Hello Everyone, the new 2004 LS will be coming out on Sept 24. In addition, they are doing a LS "Tour". If you live in Southern California.. Longo Lexus will have the new LS in our showroom around Sept 5th or 6th. Please contact us to find out for sure the exact dates. This way, if you are torn over which one to get then, you can look at both of them together.

Old 09-02-03, 04:55 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Longo Lexus,

Being granted a forum to advertise your dealership is great isn't it? Do us a favor and add some value too it as well.

The question was asked:
My local dealer also said that they will be selling at sticker price for the first six months or so. Does anyone know if that really holds true once you let them know that you will shop around over several states?
Could you reply to that rather than just get your plug in.

Thanks,
Old 09-02-03, 06:37 PM
ron36330
Pole Position

Default 03 vs 04

In my opinion it boils down to this: Most people won't be able to tell the difference between an 03 and 04, except for us Lexophiles. So get the 03.
If you want the latest in bells and whistles, then go for the 04.
If you intend to keep the car for 7+ years then get an 04 as depreciation will average itself out and you won't feel a big hit.
If you intend to keep the car less than 7 years then get an 03 so you don't take as big a hit in the short run.
You Humble and obedient servant
Ron
Old 09-02-03, 10:47 PM
infonaut
Driver School Candidate

Default Auto Spies will get you a 2004 for $1500 over invoice

Their new buying service rules!

They can get 2004's for $1500 on the first day of intro...

Your dealers are lying to you....

Do yourself a favor...go to:

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e...e000175120.cfm
Old 09-03-03, 04:35 AM
additude
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by 2512Salem
I was able to negotiate them down to $1.5K over invoice which seemed like a good deal to me.
They have several invoices. The markup on cars is pretty good. Automobiles are not a high volume item and a business can't afford to be in business selling cars or just about anything else for 3% markup. It's just not going to happen unless your moving hundreds or thousands a day. The physics of business and economics wont allow it.

I see commercials for "$45 over invoice". I just laugh. There is no way. Just the interest alone on the money the dealer is spending on the car costs more than $45. $45 dollars is about 1 hrs salary cost for the delaership for a single sales person or employee. Honestly, I think that's a conservative estimate.

Selling cars is a business. A business has to make money to pay the bills to stay in business . An average sized car dealership with 50 employees can cost $50,000 a day to operate.

They didn't sell you a car and only make $1,500 on it. They made more like $12,000 on it. More like 30%.
Old 09-03-03, 10:52 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Auto Spies will get you a 2004 for $1500 over invoice

Originally posted by infonaut
Their new buying service rules!

They can get 2004's for $1500 on the first day of intro...

Your dealers are lying to you....

Do yourself a favor...go to:

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e...e000175120.cfm
Wow...new model at only $1500 over invoice...I hate to think how much I've been stolen by my dealers all along...
I'll definitely give their service a try when time comes.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 09-03-03 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-03-03, 02:55 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally posted by 2003LS430
Hey Longo Lexus,

Being granted a forum to advertise your dealership is great isn't it? Do us a favor and add some value too it as well.

The question was asked:

Could you reply to that rather than just get your plug in.

Thanks,

I would love to give my input on that, but that person is on the east coast. It is unfair for me to comment on anything related to price since it's different over there. And I'm sorry if you think I am "just plugging" for our dealership. But let me ask you this: If you knew that the new 2004 LS430 was at your local dealer and you were interested in that car, wouldn't you want to know about it? I'm sure there are a lot of other CL members reading this and would like to know about it. No offense to anyone on the east coast!
Old 09-03-03, 05:45 PM
fiftyfive4
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by 2512Salem
.... I figure I saved about $8.0K versus buying the car a month from now.

Both figures are expensive of course but I am sleeping better at night.
I have exactly the same reasons as you have for purchasing an '03 LS430 three weeks ago. Was able to get it $750 over invoice.

And hello to everyone, I am a new member enjoying this forum for quite sometime now.
Old 09-03-03, 06:37 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Longo Lexus
I would love to give my input on that, but that person is on the east coast. It is unfair for me to comment on anything related to price since it's different over there. And I'm sorry if you think I am "just plugging" for our dealership. But let me ask you this: If you knew that the new 2004 LS430 was at your local dealer and you were interested in that car, wouldn't you want to know about it? I'm sure there are a lot of other CL members reading this and would like to know about it. No offense to anyone on the east coast!
No matter what coast you are on, be it east or west, it gives us an idea of the price. I am not slamming you on plugging you dealership (opportunity knocks), I am asking you contribute to the site as a person having inside info. As far as whether we want to know if the '04 LS 430 was available to look at our local dealership, anyone truly interested would have called their dealer already about when to expect it and to let them know. I for one, would have.

Again, let me say I am trying to get you to be a great contributing member not just a car salesman.
Old 09-03-03, 08:21 PM
stevec
Rookie

Originally posted by 2003LS430
No matter what coast you are on, be it east or west, it gives us an idea of the price. I am not slamming you on plugging you dealership (opportunity knocks), I am asking you contribute to the site as a person having inside info. As far as whether we want to know if the '04 LS 430 was available to look at our local dealership, anyone truly interested would have called their dealer already about when to expect it and to let them know. I for one, would have.

Again, let me say I am trying to get you to be a great contributing member not just a car salesman.
Please, let's take the gloves off here. Longo was just stating when the 04 LS can be seen, which to me sounds like a decent contribution to the board. Pricing at car dealerships everywhere is generally determined by supply, demand, and competition and Lexus is no different. I don't think Longo would be able to make the statement "Hey, come on in and get an '04 LS for $1,500 over invoice at our introduction" and remain on the board or stay employed at Longo Lexus! So maybe we can bury the "just a car salesman" attitude and see where the market takes the 04 LS over the next few weeks and months and share that information with other members.

BTW, in addition to the technical changes stated in other posts, the 04 LS will have several exterior revisions like the hood, front and rear bumpers, headlights, trunk lid, taillights, and exposed dual exhaust tips for the first time since the 1st gen LS...very cool. Lexus is very conservative and these changes are subtle but it is a facelift nonetheless.

Regards,
Steve
Old 09-03-03, 08:38 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Default fortyfive4

Originally posted by fiftyfive4
I have exactly the same reasons as you have for purchasing an '03 LS430 three weeks ago. Was able to get it $750 over invoice.

And hello to everyone, I am a new member enjoying this forum for quite sometime now.
Welcome to CL. Glad to see you are enjoying it.

But I gotta make a small comment: You must be a rich guy owning an '03 E55 and an '03 LS430

Stay around and contribute, we'd sure like to hear from you as a new owner. Any comment/comparo between the Merc and the Lex ? I know they are two different beasts, but then we *read* so much about how the Merc is so much better than the Lex

Quick Reply: 2003 vs. 2004