LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Willing to pay up for 91 w/61K on it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-19, 04:17 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Willing to pay up for 91 w/61K on it?

Found this while perusing the DFW CL ads. Nice looking specimen but wants a lot of money for it. Not perfect but certainly cleaner than most and lower miles than almost any.
Link:
https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/ct...913410291.html

No interior pics, unfortunately.

Last edited by Legender; 06-16-19 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-16-19, 04:54 PM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 209 Likes on 184 Posts

Nice looking car. May bring $1250 wholesale, maybe $2500 retail. Could be a good deal somewhere in between?
Old 06-16-19, 05:44 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

why no Inside pics?? hmmmm
maybe needed a vacuum
Old 06-16-19, 07:41 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 125 Likes on 109 Posts

Much like Margaritaville, it's worth whatever you want it to be—especially if your emotions are speaking to you!

I see this question about pricing quite a lot here and on other forums. That and, “What do I need to look for when buying a ________”. I use KBB.com, NADA.com, and Edmunds.com for ballpark pricing in my zip code. For a 91 LS400l, KBB didn’t go back that far, but for a 1992 model with 61k miles it showed $3100 private party and $3400 dealer. The NADA website, which didn’t ask for mileage, showed average retail for a 1991 model as $5800 and high retail as $7200 (I was surprised by these figures). The Edmunds website showed trade-in value for a 1991 (with 61K miles) as $1200, private party value as $1700, and retail as $2600. I discovered everything I needed to know about acquiring my 98 model right here on this forum and didn’t even have to ask what to look for when I began my search. I really appreciate that and found an outstanding example!

Personally, this car doesn’t interest me, but I wonder how he came up with his asking price. That said, if it was exactly what I had been looking for, I’d contact the seller and get an idea of who I’d be dealing with, if that checked out I’d go look at it, drive it, etc. For that price it would need to be absolutely perfect—not kinda sorta perfect—PERFECT! The ad already states that the leather is shot on the upper part of the back seat, there are hard spots in other areas of the leather, and the floor mats need cleaned. For that price the only thing that needs to be cleaned are the bottom of my shoes when I get in it to go for a test drive. There is no VIN# to run through Carfax or drivers.lexus, which means I cannot research it beforehand to see if it is even a viable candidate. I see this odd pricing a lot in older and/or classic cars—seller B sees seller A asking a high dollar amount for their car and seller B thinks they can do the same thing, which they certainly can—problem is seller A’s car is fantastic and seller B’s car stinks, has an interior that looks like it was formerly a trash receptacle, runs poorly, has electrical tape covering an illuminated check engine light (actually experienced this), has dry rotted tires, etc.

In the end it’s all about what you want, how much cash you have, what you are willing to pay, etc. I work hard for my money and don’t need others to tell me how to spend it. Like I stated in the beginning, I research what the average price is for whatever I’m interested in purchasing and go from there. I’ve realized over the years that I’m an emotional buyer, but that’s the fun in all of it. The car industry thrives on emotion buyers—and so do many other industries for that matter. I’ve driven some sweet rides over the years and never regretted paying whatever I paid for any of them—except one, and I donated that one to Goodwill because I do not knowingly sell problems to other people.

Last edited by Fit1too; 06-16-19 at 07:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
430SLOwner (06-24-19)
Old 06-16-19, 08:29 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 301 Likes on 237 Posts

Very nice car... I would probably be willing to pay $5k - $6k for it.

If the owner listed this car on Bring a Trailer, they could probably get the $8k or more than what they're asking.
Old 06-17-19, 05:42 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Simply sharing cleaner specimens on the forum. I would not pay this much for one and am not even looking at the older models. Prefer the 99-2000 model years. And you're right. If I was interested I'd be looking at this in person and deciding what it is worth to me, as in the end, that is what matters. Each to his own, as they say.
Fit1too (06-17-19)
Old 06-17-19, 10:08 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

at the age they are now clean examples are getting very hard to find. because of this expect to pay a premium for a low mile, unmolested example. sucks but is what it is.
Old 06-24-19, 07:12 PM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 209 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Fit1too
Much like Margaritaville, it's worth whatever you want it to be—especially if your emotions are speaking to you!

I see this question about pricing quite a lot here and on other forums. That and, “What do I need to look for when buying a ________”. I use KBB.com, NADA.com, and Edmunds.com for ballpark pricing in my zip code. For a 91 LS400l, KBB didn’t go back that far, but for a 1992 model with 61k miles it showed $3100 private party and $3400 dealer. The NADA website, which didn’t ask for mileage, showed average retail for a 1991 model as $5800 and high retail as $7200 (I was surprised by these figures). The Edmunds website showed trade-in value for a 1991 (with 61K miles) as $1200, private party value as $1700, and retail as $2600. I discovered everything I needed to know about acquiring my 98 model right here on this forum and didn’t even have to ask what to look for when I began my search. I really appreciate that and found an outstanding example!

Personally, this car doesn’t interest me, but I wonder how he came up with his asking price. That said, if it was exactly what I had been looking for, I’d contact the seller and get an idea of who I’d be dealing with, if that checked out I’d go look at it, drive it, etc. For that price it would need to be absolutely perfect—not kinda sorta perfect—PERFECT! The ad already states that the leather is shot on the upper part of the back seat, there are hard spots in other areas of the leather, and the floor mats need cleaned. For that price the only thing that needs to be cleaned are the bottom of my shoes when I get in it to go for a test drive. There is no VIN# to run through Carfax or drivers.lexus, which means I cannot research it beforehand to see if it is even a viable candidate. I see this odd pricing a lot in older and/or classic cars—seller B sees seller A asking a high dollar amount for their car and seller B thinks they can do the same thing, which they certainly can—problem is seller A’s car is fantastic and seller B’s car stinks, has an interior that looks like it was formerly a trash receptacle, runs poorly, has electrical tape covering an illuminated check engine light (actually experienced this), has dry rotted tires, etc.

In the end it’s all about what you want, how much cash you have, what you are willing to pay, etc. I work hard for my money and don’t need others to tell me how to spend it. Like I stated in the beginning, I research what the average price is for whatever I’m interested in purchasing and go from there. I’ve realized over the years that I’m an emotional buyer, but that’s the fun in all of it. The car industry thrives on emotion buyers—and so do many other industries for that matter. I’ve driven some sweet rides over the years and never regretted paying whatever I paid for any of them—except one, and I donated that one to Goodwill because I do not knowingly sell problems to other people.
Hello. If I may comment on your thoughtful post, NADA prices are retail dealers submitted prices and assumes very clean or better vehicle condition. A dealer recently told me to use NADA price only when selling; and never as a guide when buying.....
Old 06-24-19, 07:57 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 125 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 430SLOwner
Hello. If I may comment on your thoughtful post, NADA prices are retail dealers submitted prices and assumes very clean or better vehicle condition. A dealer recently told me to use NADA price only when selling; and never as a guide when buying.....
I appreciate your reply. On cars this old, it’s really hard to rely on any figures found on the Internet—or elsewhere for that matter. It’s beyond me why I always check the sites I mentioned, but I still do. For me it boils down to reliability, service history, condition, type of seller, and how much I want the vehicle. I understand that “NADA prices are retail dealers submitted prices and assumes very clean or better vehicle condition”, but when it comes to 20/30-year-old cars that is rarely the case—at least not on dealer lots here in southern Indiana, northern Kentucky, and southeastern Ohio, yet they all want to charge the NADA ‘high retail’ prices—so do private sellers. Those 20-30-year-old cars are oftentimes former garbage cans/ashtrays disguised as vehicles (literally). Even the 1-, 2-, and 3-year-old vehicles on used car lots are in questionable condition, yet we’re expected to believe they deserve a premium price. We made the decision last year to stop renting cars for our business travels because of the condition they were usually in. It’s surprising what people do to nice things. Again, thanks for your reply and the tip!

430SLOwner (06-26-19)