LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

HELP!! 1991 LS 400 Engine Dies When Turning

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-18, 10:22 PM
SloRolller
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! 1991 LS 400 Engine Dies When Turning

This is crazy! I had the engine replaced in my 1991 LS 400. I now have about 3000 miles on it. Runs great, EXCEPT that it occasionally dies without warning when I make a sudden stop, when I am making a left turn or U-turn to the left, or when I am slowly going up a hill in traffic. The left turn issue is the most frequent. Does not happen every time. It starts right back up and runs fine after every occurrence. No engine warning lights or anything like that before it just quits. Runs and accelerates perfectly smooth otherwise. Had fuel pump and sock replaced when engine was replaced. Always has more than 1/4 tank of gas. Almost got hit turning onto a freeway on-ramp last night, so I really want to get to the bottom of this. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-01-18, 10:35 PM
DerekD1010
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...capacitor.html
Old 11-01-18, 11:40 PM
Yamae

Received 855 Likes on 646 Posts

Is your car lowered?
Old 11-03-18, 03:12 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

sounds like one of those trunk wiring problems to me.....
Old 11-03-18, 05:18 PM
SloRolller
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yamae
Is your car lowered?
No, it sits at stock height. Regular struts and springs.
Old 11-03-18, 05:29 PM
SloRolller
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by billydpowe
sounds like one of those trunk wiring problems to me.....
Actually, I corrected the trunk wiring issue a month ago. The symptoms from that were 'Reverse' indicator light came on every time stepped on the brake; premature dowmshofting, and a few other dash light issues that I cannot recall right now. BUT, now I am getting ramdom Oil Level, Check Engine, TRAC OFF, and TRAC lights coming on and going off at completely random times. My highest priority is to solve the random engine ****downs. Meanwhile, I will re-check the trunk wiring to eliminate that as a possible cause. Will also follow up on another suggestion to replace some capacitors.
Old 11-03-18, 06:44 PM
SloRolller
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tip. This is really detailed. I'll give it a shot. Hope it works.
Old 01-17-19, 06:33 PM
SloRolller
Driver School Candidate

The nightmare continues! First, I want to thank all you you all for the advice on resolving my '91 LS400 issues, BUT...the nightmare continues. I sent the ECM to Module Masters in Idaho (one of the places suggested in the "All My Crazy Lexus Problems Solved..." thread) to have the capacitors replaced. I sent them a description of the problems and included the capacitor information in this thread as reference material. They said that they only used Panasonic capacitors, and would only warranty their work if THEY obtained the capacitors. They advised that they have had no issues with Panasonic, and have done this kind of work before. The tech was aware of the specific capacitor manufacturer / model# concerns, but advised that those were no longer concerns, as the industry has resolved those problems. Well, they know more about this than I do, so I went with it. Got the ECM back in installed it. Still have the problem with random warning lights coming on and going out, and the engine still cuts out randomly without warning as described in my original post. However, the problem does not occur as frequently as it used to.

Now the car is at an independent shop in Southern California for further diagnosis. So far they found a code for the Throttle Position Sensor, so that was replaced. They are still driving the car to see if the problem continues. Any ideas, while I am waiting for results? I HAVE to get this car running right, as I am giving it to my sister, so it has to be safe to drive.

Thanks!
Old 01-17-19, 08:37 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I'd take another look at the fuel pump. Did you use an OEM pump?
Old 01-18-19, 11:02 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

On the "turning" ...

These cars have a problematic feature, the idle up air valve on the power steering pump. It is a valved air path from the air intake to the intake manifold (bypasses the throttle body). When the PS system needs to turn while the engine idle is low (e.g., when parking), this valve opens up, allowing some extra air to flow to the intake manifold, increasing idle speed to provide more PS power and prevent the engine from dying.

So that's what's supposed to happen. Great system, but the valve will leak after a while, allowing PS fluid to enter the intake manifold, causing white smoke on start-up due to that PSF burning off all at once. Replacing those valves is a commonly needed thing. Some people instead save some $$ and just replace it with a plug that stops the leaks but removes the feature. First thing I'd do is look for that valve and those hoses: air intake-to-PS-valve and PS-valve-to-intake manifold. White smoke on startup? PS fluid needing constant refilling?

So maybe you've got a combination of issues - there is something that makes your idle a little on the low side, and also there may be a problem with your idle up air valve, which causes it to die when trying to turn. Even if the idle-up valve is fine, consider this an explanation for why the turning causes some extra load on the engine (due to the PS), which may cause an already low-idling engine to die.

Sounds like you're doing a lot of good things to improve the engine. I expect this problem is a minor one and you'll get it solved.

If analyzing the RPM, I'll advise to not necessarily believe what the tach says - it can easily be off.
Old 01-28-19, 01:39 PM
SloRolller
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oldskewel
On the "turning" ...

These cars have a problematic feature, the idle up air valve on the power steering pump. It is a valved air path from the air intake to the intake manifold (bypasses the throttle body). When the PS system needs to turn while the engine idle is low (e.g., when parking), this valve opens up, allowing some extra air to flow to the intake manifold, increasing idle speed to provide more PS power and prevent the engine from dying.

So that's what's supposed to happen. Great system, but the valve will leak after a while, allowing PS fluid to enter the intake manifold, causing white smoke on start-up due to that PSF burning off all at once. Replacing those valves is a commonly needed thing. Some people instead save some $$ and just replace it with a plug that stops the leaks but removes the feature. First thing I'd do is look for that valve and those hoses: air intake-to-PS-valve and PS-valve-to-intake manifold. White smoke on startup? PS fluid needing constant refilling?

So maybe you've got a combination of issues - there is something that makes your idle a little on the low side, and also there may be a problem with your idle up air valve, which causes it to die when trying to turn. Even if the idle-up valve is fine, consider this an explanation for why the turning causes some extra load on the engine (due to the PS), which may cause an already low-idling engine to die.

Sounds like you're doing a lot of good things to improve the engine. I expect this problem is a minor one and you'll get it solved.

If analyzing the RPM, I'll advise to not necessarily believe what the tach says - it can easily be off.
Thanks for the tip on the "engine shut down while turning" issue. I am having that looked at. You described the symptoms exactly, down to the white smoke on startup. Do you know of any independent, reliable Lexus repair shops in Southern California? I am getting pretty frustrated with the shop where the car is now. I would even take it to a shop in Northern California if that's what it takes to get it straightened out.
Old 01-31-19, 08:56 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

regarding power steering pump air up valve:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ing-bible.html

more here as well, referenced here as an IAC valve:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ystem-diy.html