LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Engine vibration - tracking down

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-18, 12:46 PM
dveneman
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bradland
Thanks for the diagram Yamae it's a big help. I had no idea the pathways are so extensive!
What's the best way to clean these for forum members who don't have access to professional shop equipment? An aerosol spray like throttle body cleaner or something in liquid form, poured slowed into the holes, like Seafoam?

I am wondering the same. Do just the entrances typically get blocked?
Old 10-23-18, 09:07 PM
Yamae

Received 860 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by dveneman
I am wondering the same. Do just the entrances typically get blocked?
The answer is No.
The 2 entrances are not easily blocked because the diameter is much bigger than those small ports (air mix passages) at each injectors. Those small ports are blocked prior to entrances. It often needs a full can or more of carbon cleaner with the compressed air to clean. But sometimes you need to clean ports removing injectors and using ultrasonic cleaning machine when those were badly clogged and completely blocked. The link below is all in Japanese but it explains the case to clean removing injectors.
https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ks1106spiderman/1099329.html
The following users liked this post:
dveneman (10-24-18)
Old 10-23-18, 09:27 PM
bradland

Received 650 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
The answer is No.
The 2 entrances are not easily blocked because the diameter is much bigger than those small ports (air mix passages) at each injectors. Those small ports are blocked prior to entrances. It often needs a full can or more of carbon cleaner with the compressed air to clean. But sometimes you need to clean ports removing injectors and using ultrasonic cleaning machine when those were badly clogged and completely blocked. The link below is all in Japanese but it explains the case to clean removing injectors.
https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ks1106spiderman/1099329.html
Thanks again Yamae, I have a question for you.
I've cleaned these passages on my 99, which I no longer own, but a couple days ago tried it on my 06 and had different results. Obviously the throttle body is different and when I removed the cover to access the holes the car would not start. My 99 always stayed running with the cover removed...? Any thoughts ?
Old 10-24-18, 12:11 AM
Yamae

Originally Posted by bradland
Thanks again Yamae, I have a question for you.
I've cleaned these passages on my 99, which I no longer own, but a couple days ago tried it on my 06 and had different results. Obviously the throttle body is different and when I removed the cover to access the holes the car would not start. My 99 always stayed running with the cover removed...? Any thoughts ?
The 06 has a newly designed engine. The engine management is also new. The mechanical structure is also different for an example the starter motor is not located in the valley of 2 banks. It can be accessed easily. So things are quite different and the same techniques can't be applied in most of the cases, I think.

Sorry about the starter motor. A 07 has it at the side of the engine but 06 has it in the valley. Anyway, a 06 uses newer managements.

Last edited by Yamae; 10-24-18 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Correction.
The following 3 users liked this post by Yamae:
bradland (10-24-18), dveneman (10-24-18), spuds (10-24-18)
Old 10-24-18, 05:37 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Thanks,that 07 starter motor info very good to know.Is that when the timing chain started too?Also did the v8 ever advance back to a non interference engine?

Last edited by spuds; 10-24-18 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-24-18, 07:48 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Correct, 07+ uses a timing chain.
Old 10-25-18, 06:42 PM
Scraape
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

misfire on cylinder 2 is still there . Does not throw a code for it all the time , but I can feel the "miss" most of the time regardless.

I am running chevron techron fuel injector cleaner or whatever it is right now, in case my cylinder 2 injector is clogged.

I want to unplug my coil connector and fuel injector connector with the car runnning to test them out, but the intake covers it pretty good
Old 10-30-18, 09:41 PM
Scraape
Advanced

did some more tests today to see if i could hunt down why my car is misfiring on cylinder 2. left cylinder 2 injector unplugged and started the car....it was missing like usual, plugged the injector back in and it honestly seemed like it started misfiring even worse! My friend thinks the injector is stuck open.

I took the new duralast coil pack off cylinder 2 and put the old one back on, since i don't believe that is my issue.

When i put the old one back on, the car still noticeably misses, but it doesn't throw a code .

This is making me think it may definitely be the injector on that cylinder. I went ahead and bought a new set (8) of remanufactured injectors. Hopefully that will do the trick!
Old 11-03-18, 10:24 AM
Scraape
Advanced

anyone have a tutorial or factory manual pdf file on how to replace the injectors ? I'm guessing you can just remove the fuel rail without removing the intake manifold...
Old 11-03-18, 11:27 AM
bradland

Received 650 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Scraape
anyone have a tutorial or factory manual pdf file on how to replace the injectors ? I'm guessing you can just remove the fuel rail without removing the intake manifold...
Hope this helps...

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
_SFI.pdf (1.97 MB, 82 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by bradland:
Scraape (11-03-18), spuds (11-03-18)
Old 11-04-18, 12:29 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 409 Likes on 316 Posts

For what it's worth, my car exhibited this as well, it turns it it was the cooling fan. If you rev the car while in park just a little bit (blip to 2k rpm) you can feel it.

You should hear the fan roar when the car first starts up. Then it quickly goes silent.

The clutch pack had died in the open posistion and the fan was not spinning. Thankfully it was in the winter where this wasn't a problem. Replaced it and the vibration at cold\idle went away.

While it seems you found the misfire, just putting this out there.

Last edited by 400fanboy; 11-04-18 at 12:36 PM.
Scraape (11-04-18)
Old 11-04-18, 04:14 PM
Scraape
Advanced

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
For what it's worth, my car exhibited this as well, it turns it it was the cooling fan. If you rev the car while in park just a little bit (blip to 2k rpm) you can feel it.

You should hear the fan roar when the car first starts up. Then it quickly goes silent.

The clutch pack had died in the open posistion and the fan was not spinning. Thankfully it was in the winter where this wasn't a problem. Replaced it and the vibration at cold\idle went away.

While it seems you found the misfire, just putting this out there.
I actually replaced my fan clutch recently , but i appreciate the help!
Old 11-20-18, 01:18 PM
Scraape
Advanced

problem still exists. Ive replaced all 8 injectors, problem has not gone away. Pretty frustrating.
Old 11-20-18, 04:40 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by Scraape
problem still exists. Ive replaced all 8 injectors, problem has not gone away. Pretty frustrating.
Sorry to hear that. I'd check waveforms of the injector and the igniter using an oscilloscope. Other than those, I'd check the compression using a compression meter.

If an oscilloscope is not available easily, the alternative method will be to use an LED with a series resistor 330 to 1K ohm in parallel with the parts driven. In this way the drive signals can be confirmed by eyes. Compare the brightness with other cylinders, you can judge that the driving signal is OK or not. This is the way I of do at shops when I don't carry my oscilloscope. This technique is now widely used at my local shops and dealers. Electrons can't be seen by human eyes but there are methods to see those simply.
Scraape (11-21-18)
Old 12-24-18, 09:21 AM
Scraape
Advanced

Thank you for the suggestions Yamae. I will try that and I will also check compression. I'm still thinking it is not a compression issue personally.

My car runs like ****!! Still trying to hunt down this issue. Doesn't blow any smoke from the exhaust or anything.

Spark Plugs have been replaced, all 8 injectors replaced, coil packs swapped out with a new one.

At one point I was getting misfires on Cylinder 2, 5, 7. Cylinder 2 is the one that consistently misfires. I pulled the plugs on those cylinders and they were certianly not fouled, let alone from a rich condition(no black on the electrode). Am I safe to assume this is a lean misfire ?

Car seems to misfire at low RPMS(blinking CEL) but accelerate decently above 2k RPMS.

I still need to swap the Coil Pack connectors on those cylinders

Quick Reply: Engine vibration - tracking down