LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New LS400 owner, encountering some weird issues.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-18, 02:58 PM
stomish
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question New LS400 owner, encountering some weird issues.

Hey there everyone! New to clublexus, not new to forums as i've been on swedespeed for a few years I recently picked up a 1992 Lexus LS400 from auction, and it's been frustrating so far. I looked at it in person before the sale, it started up no problem and was idling a little low, i'm assuming misfire since it's idling at 250RPM, and when I rev it up I feel the typical vibration a misfire carries with it. The CEL and Trac off lights are both on. I won the car, got it delivered, and when I went for my first drive in it it felt INSANELY slow. Like, believe me, i've driven slow cars, I own a 1993 240 wagon with 75hp to the wheels on a good day, and it feels much slower then my 240. Then, halfway into the drive, about a mile away from my house, the transmission starts doing this weird thing, where it catches and revs as if it's in gear, then the revs fall to idle, then it revs back up again, then back to idle. This is with my foot firmly planted to the floor. It doesn't go over 10mph when it's warm. When it was cold, I got it up to 45, it took a while but once it was up there it held it pretty good. Another thing that's concerning, is when I put it in neutral and rev it, it sounds like there's shattered glass/metal banging around somewhere in the transmission area/in between the cats. I did some diagnosis and i'm getting an engine code 28 which means main oxygen sensor signal (right bank), and a transmission code 63 which means open or short in number 2 solenoid valve. I've checked the transmission fluid dipstick and the fluid is clean, a deep red color which I believe is correct so thats a start. This is the first relatively complicated car i've owned that doesn't have OBD2, my 240 is much more simple. I'm honestly not even sure where to start with it, i'd love to fix it up, i'm just hoping it won't be too expensive/complicated of a fix. Can anyone give me some advice/pointers on where to start?
Old 09-27-18, 01:15 PM
mikaelse
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Hi there. Hope you will get this issue fixed...
Sounds a bit like the ECU problem . Perhaps it has baked some extra in the sun before you bought it.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...capacitor.html
There seem to be kits to buy for DIY or places to get it fixed.
Old 09-27-18, 04:44 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 220 Posts

Welcome to CL! I saw this car when it was at the auction - cool to see it here afterwards.

Given the O2 sensor code and the metallic sound, it sounds to me that one of your catalytic converters is bad, likely from a failed O2 sensor or another part of the emissions system.

For the transmission, you'll have to drop the pan and inspect the number 2 solenoid valve. It probably failed and needs replacement. I believe another member of this forum recorded these good videos about his solenoid valve issue on his UCF10:

Other than that, it overall sounds like you got a good car. I wouldn't touch the ECU capacitors yet, until you can further diagnose other issues with the car, like the "misfire."

Also, random but relevant question - is the right chrome rim with the center cap in the trunk of the car? I questioned the spare being on the car when at auction.
Old 09-27-18, 08:06 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Need the correct info, not so much a story of where its going etc.
What is meant by it catches and revs like its in gear and all that? So it was not in gear or acted like it came out of gear???? Engine changing rpms is not a transmission issue.
All the long story doesn't make sense. Just describe step by step.
Like I put it in gear step on the gas and the transmission slips. Or its idling I give it some gas and it will run the rpms up and down, we don't need to know what road it was on etc. We can help real well with the correct information.
Old 12-09-19, 11:52 AM
stomish
Driver School Candidate

Hey, I just realized I never updated this thread after I fixed the issue!

To elaborate on said issue, the car would drive normal, albeit slow when cold. Then, once it started warming up, I would step on the gas and it would rev for a second like a manual transmission, how you would rev it up a little before letting out the clutch, but then the revs would drop and it'd start to move forward, as if the clutch was fully let out. It was an extremely weird issue, but it ended up being a simple fix!

To fix these symptoms, my mechanic did new spark plugs+wires, replaced an o2 sensor and a left side afr sensor, and this fixed all the issues! Drove her for about 3k miles, then ended up getting a different daily driver and selling it.
The following users liked this post:
Fit1too (12-09-19)
Old 12-09-19, 08:19 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Originally Posted by stomish
Hey, I just realized I never updated this thread after I fixed the issue!

To elaborate on said issue, the car would drive normal, albeit slow when cold. Then, once it started warming up, I would step on the gas and it would rev for a second like a manual transmission, how you would rev it up a little before letting out the clutch, but then the revs would drop and it'd start to move forward, as if the clutch was fully let out. It was an extremely weird issue, but it ended up being a simple fix!

To fix these symptoms, my mechanic did new spark plugs+wires, replaced an o2 sensor and a left side afr sensor, and this fixed all the issues! Drove her for about 3k miles, then ended up getting a different daily driver and selling it.
Thanks for the update. Glad it all worked out.

Just curious - I don't understand how the transmission issue was remedied, unless it really wasn't an issue with the transmission at all, and was more of a problem with the engine cutting out from a no spark condition, or the like.

What did your mechanic say about the Solenoid 2 code? What was the shattered glass-like sound when you put the car in neutral and revved it?

These cars also do not have AFR sensors
Old 12-09-19, 08:22 PM
stomish
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
Thanks for the update. Glad it all worked out.

Just curious - I don't understand how the transmission issue was remedied, unless it really wasn't an issue with the transmission at all, and was more of a problem with the engine cutting out from a no spark condition, or the like.

What did your mechanic say about the Solenoid 2 code? What was the shattered glass-like sound when you put the car in neutral and revved it?

These cars also do not have AFR sensors
Solenoid 2 code ended up going away somehow, never acted up again after getting it fixed! Shattered glass sound was some debris behind the cats, he disconnected the exhaust and was able to clean it out to remedy that. Maybe by AFR sensor he meant o2 sensor? Still odd how that fixed the issue, but i’m not complaining since it was so cheap! I’m thinking it wasn’t actually the transmission acting up and it was something with the engine cutting power/spark. Funnily enough, I just picked up another LS today! 00 LS400 in brown w/ a tan interior and 125k, bought off the original owner!
The following users liked this post:
CELSI0R (12-09-19)
Old 12-09-19, 08:31 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

I think you're right with the AFR. My guess is he probably had it on some form describing the item as an O2/AFR sensor

Cool that there weren't any transmission issues, too

Congrats on the new purchase. Please post some info when you get the chance!