LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Valet key starts,master no,immobilizer hack maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-18, 05:39 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Valet key starts,master no,immobilizer hack maybe?

Rephrasing title of my previous thread,maybe not descriptive enough.
=========================================
So,apparently master key transponder chip doesnt recognize signal from car,or vice-versa.Valet key does.

Question...can I hold valet key next to ignition and start the car using the master key,ie,using valet key as the security code to allow car to start.NOW the biggie,will this mess up the computer by seeing 2 signals possibly? I cant risk that.

Im thinking I could get another valet key cut,mount working valet key hidden next to ignition radio signal from car,and use my 'unrecognised' or unprogrammed master and new valet keys to start vehicle,giving me 2 'working' keys.My fear is if working key is lost Im fubared big time,almost happened (Im keeping the wife,so that isnt the answer) .Key inside would never get lost.Soooo....any thoughts? I dont care if i lose that level of security,these are hardly high theft automobiles.
Old 09-17-18, 06:41 PM
Yamae
Forum Moderator

Received 902 Likes on 682 Posts

Originally Posted by spuds
Rephrasing title of my previous thread,maybe not descriptive enough.
=========================================
So,apparently master key transponder chip doesnt recognize signal from car,or vice-versa.Valet key does.

Question...can I hold valet key next to ignition and start the car using the master key,ie,using valet key as the security code to allow car to start.NOW the biggie,will this mess up the computer by seeing 2 signals possibly? I cant risk that.

Im thinking I could get another valet key cut,mount working valet key hidden next to ignition radio signal from car,and use my 'unrecognised' or unprogrammed master and new valet keys to start vehicle,giving me 2 'working' keys.My fear is if working key is lost Im fubared big time,almost happened (Im keeping the wife,so that isnt the answer) .Key inside would never get lost.Soooo....any thoughts? I dont care if i lose that level of security,these are hardly high theft automobiles.
Regarding the first question, you don't need to worry about it. It's a RFID system and it does not mess up any. Your working key should be closer to the receiver antenna though. See the initial part of the video

Regarding to the second question, it is possible but the battery drains slightly more.
The following users liked this post:
spuds (09-17-18)
Old 09-17-18, 07:05 PM
spuds
Racer

Thanks so much Yamae.I went and tried it,didnt work.

I held valet key against ignition ring in many spots,but always as i plugged in master key it started by reading it first so it never cancelled the security system.

Its dark out so Im done for today.I will remove the rfid chip from master key tomorrow and try it and see if it will read the valet rfid and start.
Old 09-17-18, 08:18 PM
spuds
Racer

OK,it takes one tiny phillips screwdriver to open case,jewellers or watchmaker tools I dont have.I used my smallest blade driver and got it out.Pry from key end to open and at some point it will snap apart. Module pops out.Remove battery cover and separate parts.Now the 3 button part has the chip in it,supposedly the button part just peels off to expose it,mines well glued shut.So I just left whole thing out and put key case back together.So ready to try again tomorrow.

Valet key starts,master no,immobilizer hack maybe?-7b90y28m.jpg

Last edited by spuds; 09-17-18 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-18-18, 01:02 PM
spuds
Racer

Talking

winner winner
chicken dinner!!

Held the Valet key next to ring around ignition,inserted master without chip and started right up!! Did several tests and Valet key within 1 inch or so from ignition and it turns off security and starts right up with chipless master key!!

Also VERY cool,when I remove the master key with chip on valet still next to ignition the security system arms, its VERY COOL!!!

Now my options are
1-somehow mount key inside cover over ignition and have another key cut so I have 2
2-remove chip from valet key,have to cut it open though to get to chip.Not sure I want to monkey with only good key,but I could glue chip to ignition area and I would have 2 keys that will start it.

I'm leaning towards option #1.

Pretty dang cool,eh?

Last edited by spuds; 09-18-18 at 01:21 PM.
Giorgio13 (04-18-19)
Old 09-18-18, 03:58 PM
spuds
Racer

OK,ordered this cut key without transmitter on ebay.I included 5 pics in my contact seller message to be sure they had a good usable one.
-----------------------------------
https://www.ebay.com/itm/302565672811
[CUTTING INCLUDED] 1 New 1998-2010 Replacement Key Shell for Lexus

WE LASER CUT WITH A PHOTO OF YOUR KEY ����

Item Information

Condition:New

Price:US $12.95

Last edited by spuds; 09-21-18 at 03:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by spuds:
Giorgio13 (04-18-19), Yamae (09-18-18)
Old 09-18-18, 06:03 PM
Yamae
Forum Moderator

Received 902 Likes on 682 Posts

Congratulations on your success, spuds. Your report may help others who are in a similar situation.
spuds (09-19-18)
Old 09-19-18, 01:02 PM
spuds
Racer

Yamae,I couldnt have done this without your knowledge that it was safe.I thank you again for your generosity.Note to Universe....add another Karma point to Yamaes' account please.
Giorgio13 (04-18-19)
Old 09-19-18, 01:15 PM
spuds
Racer

Got this message from key cutter.If key works I will order 2 more and cut off fob with dremel tool to make wallet keys.I will update with install pics as I finish up mod.
------------------------------------
Hello,
Thanks for ordering!We can confirm the photos are here, and the quality is good for cutting.
The order will be cut and shipped today.Let us know if you have any additional questions!
-------------------------------
Cut for wallet keys...
Valet key starts,master no,immobilizer hack maybe?-ziloxlwl.jpg
Giorgio13 (04-18-19)
Old 09-19-18, 04:50 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

OK,ordered this cut key without transmitter on ebay
-----------------------------------
https://www.ebay.com/itm/302565672811

[CUTTING INCLUDED] 1 New 1998-2010 Replacement Key Shell for Lexus

WE LASER CUT WITH A PHOTO OF YOUR KEY 🔒🔑

Item Information

Condition:New
Price:US $12.95
So all I gotta do is send pics of my cut key and they will cut and send? nice...better than $200
Giorgio13 (04-18-19)
Old 09-19-18, 06:17 PM
spuds
Racer

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
So all I gotta do is send pics of my cut key and they will cut and send? nice...better than $200
Yes they will.Master key doesnt come with transmitter module though,and whatever you buy programming is your business,not theirs.But yes,you can get a cut key for 12.99,crazy cool eh?
Giorgio13 (04-18-19)
Old 09-19-18, 07:11 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Yes they will.Master key doesnt come with transmitter module though,and whatever you buy programming is your business,not theirs.But yes,you can get a cut key for 12.99,crazy cool eh?
Yeah that's awesome I'm tempted to do it....but may wait til Friday. Definitely saved the link. Would save me like 180. I bought a key with the transmitter module but not cut I'll program it with the key when I get it. Kudos good sir.
Old 09-19-18, 08:57 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I bought a pair of those ebay keys. Two for $20. One worked perfectly. The other key doesn't fit the door locks. It wants to get stuck. It works in the ignition, though.
Old 09-21-18, 08:27 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Got this message from key cutter.If key works I will order 2 more and cut off fob with dremel tool to make wallet keys.I will update with install pics as I finish up mod.
------------------------------------
Hello,
Thanks for ordering!We can confirm the photos are here, and the quality is good for cutting.
The order will be cut and shipped today.Let us know if you have any additional questions!
-------------------------------
Cut for wallet keys...
Damn they are sold out now
Old 09-21-18, 01:59 PM
spuds
Racer

OK,so I tried ordering 2 keys from these guys.They prefer pics sent by text that i cant do so sent mine via the ask seller function.I sent them 5 photos BTW.Lets see what they reply.
-----------------------
Their reply as follows.....Thank you for the order, year, model, and photo we will now process your order to ship....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/163013502354

Valet key starts,master no,immobilizer hack maybe?-aajr2y9.jpg

2 PRE-CUT 3B REMOTE KEY SHELLS VALU-PAK- 1 BLACK, 1 BREAST CANCER PINK for LEXUS

Item price$21.86
Quantity1
Item number163013502354

Last edited by spuds; 09-21-18 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Valet key starts,master no,immobilizer hack maybe?