LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help me find the Brake Light Switch - brake lights don't turn on

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-18, 07:32 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help me find the Brake Light Switch - brake lights don't turn on

This is a '96 with 200k miles.

I thought I posted about this but I can't find the thread.

I got the new piece which consists of an electrical connector, a bolt sticking out with a nut (this is how you install it, I'm sure), and a plunger. When the plunger is pressed down as I press the brake pedal, the plunger should push in, activating the lights.

It shouldn't be a hard job but finding it is a bit of a problem. If somebody could just explain where it is exactly, that would help a lot. I know it's at the top where the pedal rod meets the firewall; in that area.

So I guess I have to remove the plastic cover under my steering wheel? I'm both busy and sick so knowing this so I could time it right would help a lot.

Thanks people. I already checked and changed the fuses and bulbs.
Old 08-19-18, 08:31 AM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

My 98 is parked so close to the house, but I went out and wedged myself under the dash so I could see the switch. You need to remove the black plastic cover under the dash to access it, 2 Phillips head screws and then pull down the front edge (between the 2 screws) to release the two hidden clips built into the cover panel. Then pull toward you to release from the other metal bracket. I changed out the brake light switch on my RAV4 recently because the cruise would not engage. The switch screws into a bracket and the nut locks it in place. I believe I made a reference mark on mine or took a measurement so I would know how far to screw the switch into the bracket. Also, when you press the brake pedal it moves away from the plunger and activates the brake lights. It should not take long to replace. Hope this helps.
Old 08-19-18, 12:33 PM
Rokas
Pole Position

Thanks Fit1too, you answered all my questions. I'm specifically most thankful for the part where you said the lights turn on as the pedal shaft moves away from the plunger, popping it out. I was wondering which way it was.

Technically, when the plunger extends out, it opens a circuit turning on the brake lights, right?

Again, thanks. Will take care of this soon.
Old 08-20-18, 06:29 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

This job was a LOT easier than I thought. Locate the switch.

You can find it by following the brake pedal rod up. It's to the left, at least on a 96. Now there's gonna be two nuts. You're only gonna be messing with the one closest to the Brake Switch Sensor.

To get enough space to work, you have to undo the two screws that hold the black cover under your dash. Just let it hang there. (The cover)

To remove the sensor, all you need to do is pop the electrical connector out (there's a tab you push), use a 14mm to loosen that nut on the sensor (again, the one closer to you, not the engine).

At this point, you can unscrew the sensor by hand. You're gonna want to note where the original nut sat. That determines how far out the plunger is. I eyed mine and it works fine.

I forgot to mention that pushing the pedal down helped me get to the nut a little easier. When you install the new switch, put it in as close to original position as possible, and then play with the brake pedal. The plunger should start releasing as you press the pedal down. That's good.

Don't forget to plug in the electrical connector before you put the cover back on. I was wondering why my brakes still weren't working... Lol.
Old 08-20-18, 07:18 AM
Yamae

Received 855 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Rokas
This job was a LOT easier than I thought. Locate the switch. I was wondering why my brakes still weren't working... Lol.
Time to check the tail light failure sensor in the trunk. The link below is about a 90 LS400 but the thread may help you to understand and fix. Resoldering would be fixing your problem. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-pictures.html
Old 08-24-18, 12:24 PM
Rokas
Pole Position

Maybe you misread that? I forgot to plug in the actual electrical connector into the Brake Light Switch so my brakes still didn't work until I remembered. But thanks for the help.