LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Timing Belt Replacement Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-18, 10:35 AM
AZBuman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timing Belt Replacement Kit

I've searched and only found threads for other models, if this has been addressed here I apologize in advance..

I just recently purchased a 91 LS400, 214K on it, and unknown service records, but in overall good condition for only $400. I'm looking to do some maintenance on it since the old owner wasn't sure of it. I want to do the timing belt and water pump, I've done a couple on 2UZ-FE, but this will be my first on the 1UZ. I bought all the parts for the 2UZ from amazon but when I searched for the 1UZ i seemed to get too many options so I was wondering if you all here had any recommendations? I found the following kit and was thinking of getting it for the job:

Amazon Amazon

Just FYI I am just getting the car up to a respectable level for a daily driver. No tunes or mods added anytime soon. I just want to baseline her so I know where I am at. Thank you again everyone!
Old 06-27-18, 11:24 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Yes, that kit should work fine on the '91. But since the car is new and you got it so cheap, you might want to consider holding off on the TB until you're sure the car is a keeper. 90-94 are non-interference engines, so if the belt breaks or slips there is no permanent engine damage, unlike on the later cars. And since you don't know when it was done last, it could very well be that it does not need to be done based on schedule.

The other thing is that once you dive in there will inevitably be other things to replace. One thing to consider and inspect is the fan bracket, which usually goes before 200k miles. So yours is probably either new or about to go.
Old 06-27-18, 11:33 AM
AZBuman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. I thought about that too. I have a 98 Land Cruiser with the 2UZ and in 2016, going 75 down I-40 in nowhere OK my timing belt broke. I was in the middle of a move from MD to CO with a 30 day stay in AZ in between. Everyone thought the vehicle was toast but I had read those early models of 2UZ were non-interference so I figured what the hell and did the job. Well 40,000 miles later I am still driving that LC. (And many thanks to people over at Ih8mud for their help and support).

There is a slight squeal when the engine starts from cold. Last for less than 10 sec, shoot maybe less than 5. From a warm start there is no squeal at all. Could this be the fan bracket or just the belt? Belt is a cheap and easy fix. I can't find the fan bracket on amazon, which is where I got mine for the LC and an 04 Sequoia. Any line on a source for that?

It has the valve tick too so I would like to get in there and do a valve adjustment. I've never done that but I have a relative that has and is willing to help. Thank you for the help. I'm hoping to get some pics of the old girl up soon. We had a nice hail storm here in CO a couple weeks ago and she got a shot to the windshield and moon roof. Those will be the first replacements. I am looking forward to getting her on the road, should be fun.
Old 06-27-18, 11:45 AM
bradland
Forum Moderator

Received 696 Likes on 569 Posts

You can buy that same TB kit quite a bit cheaper at Rockauto- https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...nent+kit,16088

Just curious... What was the mileage situation on your Land Cruiser / Timing Belt when the belt broke ?
The following users liked this post:
AZBuman (06-27-18)
Old 06-27-18, 11:49 AM
AZBuman
Driver School Candidate

It was about 143,XXX miles when it broke. Its been a great running vehicle besides that, before and since. My main problem is that the entire under carriage is rusted out, badly. It spent its life up in the northeast and just got worn out. I still use it today as my DD. It is the vehicle that the LS400 will be replacing ultimately. I just don't want to deal with the rust. In the future I plan on getting another LC or LX. I really love those vehicles.

Thanks for the rock auto suggestion. I've never bought through them before but I've heard good things.
Old 06-27-18, 12:11 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Regarding price and RockAuto ...

RockAuto is good, but in this case, I don't think it is cheaper than that Amazon price. RockAuto has the TKT030 kit
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3290508&cc=1187467&jsn=13
for $184, but then there is shipping.

Amazon has that exact Aisin TKT030 kit for $188
Amazon Amazon
with free shipping.

But the one found by the OP seems to be the same as the TKT030 with some extra parts that look like cam and crank seals, for just a few dollars more, and free shipping.

So they're all pretty close to one another.

Whenever you order from RockAuto, just google for a 5% discount code. You can always find one. That may offset the shipping.
The following users liked this post:
AZBuman (06-27-18)
Old 06-27-18, 12:42 PM
AZBuman
Driver School Candidate

Oldskewl - thanks for the heads up. Only experience I have had with rock auto (indirectly) was brother in law bought a fuel pump from there. Everything showed up as promised and worked fine.
Old 06-29-18, 07:59 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

The most important thing on any car is the body. If it is trash the car is trash. The body is the most difficult thing to have perfect and nice. If its a rusted out mess its really not worth the effort to keep. But if the power train components are in good shape they can be transferred to something else that has a better body.