LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Why Aux instead of BT FM Setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-18, 12:19 PM
Sherl
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts
Exclamation Why Aux instead of BT FM Setup

Hey all
I own a 98 lS400 and looking to add some music connectiivty into it. The LS400 comes with Navi and I was lookin into options to connect my phone and I discovered that factoryRadios based on SR, CA does the job of adding a AUX port into the Tape system for $125 however I also discovered that Anker sells Roav which comes with BT and FM connectivity. Could someone shed some light on both the options in terms of music reproduction? A $125 solution vs $30 solution. The Roav can transmit at 88.x as well which means I can pretty much use that for broadcasting to my deck.

Thanks
Old 05-31-18, 04:54 PM
mappo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sherl
Hey all
I own a 98 lS400 and looking to add some music connectiivty into it. The LS400 comes with Navi and I was lookin into options to connect my phone and I discovered that factoryRadios based on SR, CA does the job of adding a AUX port into the Tape system for $125 however I also discovered that Anker sells Roav which comes with BT and FM connectivity. Could someone shed some light on both the options in terms of music reproduction? A $125 solution vs $30 solution. The Roav can transmit at 88.x as well which means I can pretty much use that for broadcasting to my deck.

Thanks
Factory Radio Service can add both aux and bluetooth connectivity to the stock unit. That's what I did, and I use both of them. My phone has a very good DAC, so I get better sound quality from the aux input, but sometimes I prefer to not have wires hanging all over my dash so I use bluetooth. It's nice to have the choice.

The Roav sounds like it would work, technically, but the sound quality is gonna be pootastic hopping from bluetooth to FM.
Old 06-01-18, 11:38 AM
Sherl
Advanced

Originally Posted by mappo
Factory Radio Service can add both aux and bluetooth connectivity to the stock unit. That's what I did, and I use both of them. My phone has a very good DAC, so I get better sound quality from the aux input, but sometimes I prefer to not have wires hanging all over my dash so I use bluetooth. It's nice to have the choice.

The Roav sounds like it would work, technically, but the sound quality is gonna be pootastic hopping from bluetooth to FM.
If I buy with Aux and add a BT later what am I going to miss? I mean I see that it is going to cost me $20 add to BT to an AUX connection with BT popping up on the cig. lighter though. Also the BT they add is internal?
Old 06-01-18, 12:09 PM
mappo
Driver

If I buy with Aux and add a BT later what am I going to miss? I mean I see that it is going to cost me $20 add to BT to an AUX connection with BT popping up on the cig. lighter though. Also the BT they add is internal?
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Yes, the bluetooth module that FRS adds is internal to the stock head unit. It is spliced into the FM radio input, with a tiny button added to the faceplate to switch between them. It's as close to getting OEM bluetooth capability as you can get.
Old 06-01-18, 12:22 PM
Sherl
Advanced

Originally Posted by mappo
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Yes, the bluetooth module that FRS adds is internal to the stock head unit. It is spliced into the FM radio input, with a tiny button added to the faceplate to switch between them. It's as close to getting OEM bluetooth capability as you can get.
I can add an BT unit to an AXU for $20 bucks right? Whats the difference between adding BT by myself externally to the AUX versus using the FactoryRadios BT+AUX. Its $100 more for the option. $125 vs $225.
Old 06-01-18, 12:34 PM
mappo
Driver

You mean you can buy a bluetooth dongle that plugs into the aux port? Yeah, I guess you could do that, but if you're going to plug something into the aux port anyway, why wouldn't you just plug your phone into the aux port directly?
Old 06-01-18, 04:33 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 253 Likes on 200 Posts

Here's the thread about Factory Radio Service adding an aux-in the the FM section of the Nakamichi headunit in the 2000 LS400 I used to have: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...000-ls400.html

It was absolutely wonderful.
Old 06-01-18, 08:18 PM
Yamae

Received 862 Likes on 650 Posts

Hey all

Thanks
I own a 98 Celsior and wanted to add a telephone connectivity. I investigated the audio board in the navi unit board and found two ports/pins below. Look at the IC451. The pin #2 is for the R input and #6 for the L. The red and the blue arrows indicate those. These accept the external audio signals. Whatever you are listening (I mean AM, FM, CD and others), the audio signal applied to these pins can be heard from speakers. So this is convenient for the telephone.

But when you want to listen to an external MP3 player or something, you need to mute others. I still can't find a simple way to mute and I use a home made CD-R which does not contain any audio signal. So I set it in the CD player and select the CD mode to listen to the MP3 player. I connect signals from the telephone and the MP3 players using series resistors each to adjust the audio level as well as to connect 2 different signals. So that makes it possible to listen to the MP3 audio as well as the telephone.

Added MP3 player

Last edited by Yamae; 06-01-18 at 08:29 PM.