LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

It's brake time!

Old 05-01-18, 09:36 AM
wahaus
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It's brake time!

Ready to replace my front brakes: rotors, pads and calipers. Dealer say calipers are NLA, so will be going with good, OEM equivalent. Anyone done this recently and have recommendations on brands and/or where to buy? RockAuto? FLAP? Anyone running ceramic pads? Not interested in any upgrades at this time, just OEM quality.
Old 05-01-18, 09:44 AM
peterls
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Years ago I used to swear by Wagner thermoquiet (ceramic), but now I swear they suck, so stay away from those. At least they sucked last time I used them, which was a few years ago.
Anyway, I use akebono pads, and just replaced rears and may have to do fronts as well soon..They are excellent! No noise, no squeaking, just great braking. For fronts I use Akebono ACT665 ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Front Brake Pad Set (That's for 2nd gen, 1997, which is what I use on my 1990 LS - I upgraded my brakes)
Word of caution: the packaging for fronts and rears is identical. It does not say "Front" or "Rear" on either one. So, it sometimes happens that you may buy wrong ones by their mistake! Check the package as soon as it is in your hands: fronts are large and square (You can see them on amazon) and rears are much smaller and a little round, like the circumference of the rear disc). That's for 2nd gen, not sure about 1st.
If memory serves me, discs I use are centric. Both of those are easily available on Rockauto.
Old 05-01-18, 05:21 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

What year is it for?
Old 05-01-18, 05:45 PM
wahaus
Rookie

Oops. Sorry. 1991.
Old 05-01-18, 07:12 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Why would you replace the calipers? Just rebuild them or buy/exchange for some rebuilt from your local parts store.

I prefer centric or R1Concepts for rotors, pad choice depends on driving style.
The following users liked this post:
R1Concepts (05-02-18)
Old 05-02-18, 06:25 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by peterls
Years ago I used to swear by Wagner thermoquiet (ceramic), but now I swear they suck, so stay away from those. At least they sucked last time I used them, which was a few years ago.
Anyway, I use akebono pads, and just replaced rears and may have to do fronts as well soon..They are excellent! No noise, no squeaking, just great braking. For fronts I use Akebono ACT665 ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Front Brake Pad Set (That's for 2nd gen, 1997, which is what I use on my 1990 LS - I upgraded my brakes)
Word of caution: the packaging for fronts and rears is identical. It does not say "Front" or "Rear" on either one. So, it sometimes happens that you may buy wrong ones by their mistake! Check the package as soon as it is in your hands: fronts are large and square (You can see them on amazon) and rears are much smaller and a little round, like the circumference of the rear disc). That's for 2nd gen, not sure about 1st.
If memory serves me, discs I use are centric. Both of those are easily available on Rockauto.
agree on not using the wagner thermoquiets. I'd used them for years and I think the quality has gone down hill. Lots of people complaining on pad squeal.
Old 05-02-18, 07:28 AM
wahaus
Rookie

Yes, calipers will be 'new' rebuilt ones. Brand new ones from Lexus are NLA.
Old 05-02-18, 12:07 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by peterls
Scotty Kilmer also recommends the Akebono pads

Old 05-02-18, 12:23 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I've still got the original brake calipers (rebuilt by me) and rotors (machined 4x so far) on my '91 at almost 200k miles. And I think my brakes are great. No complaints at all.

But if you're going to replace calipers + rotors, you might be aware that many Lexus owners (but not me!) complain about the 90-91 brakes as being weak and lame. Lexus even updated to bigger brakes in 92+ I think. If you did that switch, your original 15" wheels would no longer fit, but if you were going to do the switch to later and bigger brakes, now might be a good time to consider it since you're planning to replace them anyway.
Old 05-06-18, 12:29 AM
wahaus
Rookie

I started on the front brakes Saturday. I ended up buying rebuilt unloaded calipers (with brackets) from O'Reillys and Akebono ACT476 ceramic pads from NAPA. Starting on the passenger side, the caliper came off easy enough, but the bolts on the brackets took some work getting out. Next up was to install the clips onto the brackets. I think they're called 'pad support plates'. There were no instructions so I decided to reference the old brackets. (Two types of clips — ones with two springs and ones with one. The new calipers came with two of each.) Looking at what I took off was not much help. It had three of the two-spring variety, and one of the other. This only confirmed my belief that whoever installed the previous brakes didn't do a great job. That and the fact they were poorly spray-painted. Anyways, I'm not sure how they are supposed to go in. I did see something online that said the clips with two springs should go closest to the ground — gravity and all. If by chance, I have them in the wrong spot, I supposed I should redo it? Any detail info on those little guys would be appreciated.

There's also a little (1/4" squarish) clip that fits over the edge of the pads. Is that a wear indicator? And does it go on the top side of the pad or the bottom? Does anyone load the pads into the brackets before bolting onto the car? I usually bolt on the brackets and then slide in the pads. The caliper kit came with a new banjo bolt and copper crush washers for the brake lines. And I applied some brake grease (anti-squeal) to the back side of the pads.

Thanks for any help. Hope to have the driver's side on Sunday and then bleed and road test.

Last edited by wahaus; 05-06-18 at 12:33 AM.