LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Dodged a bullet

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-18, 10:27 AM
2008GS
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dodged a bullet

I wanted to share a close call related to my LS400. I took her in for an oil change yesterday and everything appeared to go well.
I drove back to work and parked her. When I came out to go home, I noticed some oil drips underneath the car. This car has never left an oil stain on pavement (240k).
I knew immediately something was wrong. I should have checked the level before driving home but I did not. I drove home and parked her for overnight. In the morning I checked oil level and it appeared to be 1/2 quart overfilled! A bigger oil stain was left underneath the car.
I took the car back to my Lexus tech and he determined the oil drain plug washer was NG.
Question: Shouldn't the washer be replaced every time the plug is removed? The tech stated that the quality of the drain washers isn't what they used to be...say what?
Have you guys EVER experienced bad drain washers? I think I dodged a bullet because it appeared to be overfilled, which could have damaged the oil seals.
Why is it the lowest paid employee has one of the MOST important jobs to get right??? Never mind, I know the answer..money is the reason. They will not pay a tech to change the oil.
Old 03-28-18, 10:36 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I'm not so sure your bullet has been completely dodged... overfilling the oil is separate and apart from a bad crush washer. I suggest you check it again. I purchase generic crush washers and use new ones every time. Pretty sure the shop manual states replace the crush washer during each oil change. The bad crush washer may have caused the oil leak, but has nothing to do with being over-filled. You had 2 independent issues going on and both need to be addressed.
Old 03-28-18, 11:03 AM
2008GS
Driver

Originally Posted by Legender
I'm not so sure your bullet has been completely dodged... overfilling the oil is separate and apart from a bad crush washer. I suggest you check it again. I purchase generic crush washers and use new ones every time. Pretty sure the shop manual states replace the crush washer during each oil change. The bad crush washer may have caused the oil leak, but has nothing to do with being over-filled. You had 2 independent issues going on and both need to be addressed.

Yes I explained it was 1/2 quart overfilled, and the shop owner disagreed :-( From now on, I will check the oil after they change it BEFORE I leave their shop. Why do you use non-OE crush washers?
Old 03-28-18, 11:06 AM
2008GS
Driver

Originally Posted by Legender
As a side note, the shop had a customer's car that caught my eye...a 98 with only 65K...PRISTINE condition, not a ding or paint chip anywhere. No it is not for sale. But it is nice to know low mileage examples are still out there.
Old 03-28-18, 01:29 PM
eddievegas
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, if you verify that it is in fact overfilled, I'd find another shop.

Eddie
Old 03-28-18, 03:31 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

If you buy a set of ramps, a 14mm wrench and an oil filter wrench, you can do it yourself in about 10-15 min in your driveway.
Old 03-29-18, 04:57 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008GS
Yes I explained it was 1/2 quart overfilled, and the shop owner disagreed :-( From now on, I will check the oil after they change it BEFORE I leave their shop. Why do you use non-OE crush washers?
I didn't see in your prior post that the 'shop owner disagreed'.
Crush washer is a crush washer... I buy them from the local auto place or online in bulk. I've got a few vehicles and I change my own oil as I have ramps, the 14mm socket, an oil filter wrench and the oil drain pan.
Auto store recycles the oil for free.
I don't trust the grease monkeys to do it right. Plus, they make too much of an effort to find something else that they need to sell you and start checking air filters, wipers, belts, etc. Don't like them to start taking my covers off and checking things I don't need checked. I didn't ask for that and don't need it.
Old 03-29-18, 02:28 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

that washer should be replaced per factory manual but I simply flip mine over and reuse one more time. they are cheap (and i'm cheap)!
it's not the end of the world if the washer is used multiple times. just don't overtighten them!
Toyota puts a coating on their crush washers, giving it that blue color.

as for the overfill, the oil is leaking from elsewhere probably the PCV valve or somewhere on the crankcase. get the oil level corrected and find another mechanic.
Old 03-29-18, 04:37 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I've not had many washers that fail that are solid fiber based ones. The aluminum crush types vary so good practice is to change them each time. The plastic composites are pretty nice so long as they aren't over torqued. A fresh washer each time and torqued right prevents this scenario.

If you are going to replace the washer at the time of draining, don't remove the oil fill cap or dipstick, it drains a bit slower with them in place. This allows a hair more time to remove the plug, get the washer off, back on then back into the pan. I have a spare drain bolt and washers so that if I have to do this drill I can let the bolt drop then get the other one in fairly quickly. I had become so accustomed to the Lexus and other cars taking 5 quarts. The first time I did the Corolla in auto mode I poured in 5 quarts overfilling it by .5. Had to get under and do this routine too.