LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Re-Upholstered Front Armrest Console - Success

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-18, 01:20 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Re-Upholstered Front Armrest Console - Success

I have successfully re-upholstered the front armrest console in my 97 Lexus LS400 rather than buying a used one then ended up needing another one a few years down the road. Anyway, there's a guy on eBay selling what he claims is a genuine leather skin for the armrest for a pretty reasonable price. Upon receiving & installing the skin, I've found out it's precisely cut to fit the armrest's cover. It also looks & smells like real leather & the color is very close to mine being beige in color so it's good enough for me. Here's how I did it: You'll need to remove the top cover of the console in order to wrap the new one on. There are a total of 11 screws w/ 8 easily accessible & 3 much harder ones due to the location of them being underneath the vents. They're screwed into plastic stand-offs so you'll need to take your time to get to the last 3. One you've got it out, the vents in the back of the cover can be easily popped out from the inside. I used liquid cements to wrap the new skin around the circumference of the cover. The cements set time is about a minute & it sets nicely so there's no need to use any clamps. Here's a few photos of my newly armrest console's installed back in the car. I could have done a little better w/ the wrap around the vents but that location was my starting point & I didn't know how long the cement would set but overall, I'm very happy w/ the result. Enjoy.

Last edited by Superfast1; 01-05-18 at 01:25 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Superfast1:
CELSI0R (01-05-18), Scraape (01-07-18), spuds (07-01-18), Yamae (01-06-18)
Old 01-05-18, 02:53 PM
creilly
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks good! The color is a good match and the stitching looks nice too.
Old 01-05-18, 03:47 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Superfast1
I have successfully re-upholstered the front armrest console in my 97 Lexus LS400 rather than buying a used one then ended up needing another one a few years down the road. Anyway, there's a guy on eBay selling what he claims is a genuine leather skin for the armrest for a pretty reasonable price. Upon receiving & installing the skin, I've found out it's precisely cut to fit the armrest's cover. It also looks & smells like real leather & the color is very close to mine being beige in color so it's good enough for me. Here's how I did it: You'll need to remove the top cover of the console in order to wrap the new one on. There are a total of 11 screws w/ 8 easily accessible & 3 much harder ones due to the location of them being underneath the vents. They're screwed into plastic stand-offs so you'll need to take your time to get to the last 3. One you've got it out, the vents in the back of the cover can be easily popped out from the inside. I used liquid cements to wrap the new skin around the circumference of the cover. The cements set time is about a minute & it sets nicely so there's no need to use any clamps. Here's a few photos of my newly armrest console's installed back in the car. I could have done a little better w/ the wrap around the vents but that location was my starting point & I didn't know how long the cement would set but overall, I'm very happy w/ the result. Enjoy.

Dibs on the car phone...

So who is mystery vendor?

Toyota used durable leather..mine looks good after 20 years, but has a few wear blemishes so am interested in learning more about alternatives...
Old 01-05-18, 05:17 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Yep, Toyota used the best top grain leather as I'm always amazed at how durable the leather after all these years (I own the car for 19 years now). Anyway, the guy that I bought the cover from is autogurutx for $36 but I think he only carries in beige color. There are other sellers on eBay also sell them but they all stated synthetic leather. Maybe his is synthetic too but he listed as real leather. It's hard to tell now these days. Oh well, time will tell.
Old 01-06-18, 07:06 AM
Yamae

Received 855 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Superfast1
Yep, Toyota used the best top grain leather as I'm always amazed at how durable the leather after all these years (I own the car for 19 years now). Anyway, the guy that I bought the cover from is autogurutx for $36 but I think he only carries in beige color. There are other sellers on eBay also sell them but they all stated synthetic leather. Maybe his is synthetic too but he listed as real leather. It's hard to tell now these days. Oh well, time will tell.
I know the company which supplies the leather to Toyota since a friend of mine is working there as a stuff in Japan. Their quality control level is very high but still Toyota says sometimes "No" to accept their products. Toyota's quality standard was so high that the manager of the company used to say, "Why?". I can't open the name of the company but it is located in North America.

Once I was presented a big leather sheet from that person. It only had a very small scratch. Now I'm thinking of doing some re-upholstering of my Celsior's armrest and others using it. My Celsior's drivers seat and the armrest are not in very good condition but still those are mostly OK. Other seats look quite new still.

Last edited by Yamae; 01-06-18 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-06-18, 07:47 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Yamae
I know the company which supplies the leather to Toyota since a friend of mine is working there as a stuff in Japan. Their quality control level is very high but still Toyota says sometimes "No" to accept their products. Toyota's quality standard was so high that the manager of the company used to say, "Why?". I can't open the name of the company but it is located in North America.

Once I was presented a big leather sheet from that person. It only had a very small scratch. Now I'm thinking of doing some re-upholstering of my Celsior's armrest and others using it. My Celsior's drivers seat and the armrest are not in very good condition but still those are mostly OK. Other seats look quite new still.
Having OEM leather source is important to a correct restoration. ..

If that source becomes available , then the interior shop can be dircted to acquire matching materials there...

Anyone with intel on the name of described leather vendor located in North America?
Old 07-01-18, 10:51 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Default Ls400 leather supplier

My 1999 Jade Pearl.Silver LS400 has Cypress/Agate interior (-G0 interior color code)

Am seeking correct sourcing of OEM leather which has been extremely durable...

Anyone care to share their knowledge?

Thanks

Last edited by YODAONE; 07-02-18 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-02-18, 05:39 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

That's nice work. Thanks for sharing. Too bad he's only got them in the one color.
The following users liked this post:
Superfast1 (07-02-18)
Old 07-02-18, 10:09 AM
Superfast1
Advanced

Legender- I had it done for 6 months now & it's still holding up very well but I think the seller is lying as it feels more like vinyl than genuine leather. Oh well, can't expect much for $36.
Old 07-02-18, 10:41 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Looking good and I love the phone in there!
The following users liked this post:
Superfast1 (07-04-18)