LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1999 LS400 transmission pan drop

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-18, 07:40 PM
gma1979
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 LS400 transmission pan drop

Hello, long time reader, new to the forum. Just thought I would share photos of my transmission pan that was dropped today at my local Toyota dealer due to the factory silicone failing (weepage). The vehicle has 191625 miles and i am the second owner. Drain and fills (3 qts are preformed every 15-20k miles with toyota oem type iv fluid. My mechanic rags on me every time I leave the 3qts next to my Pennzoil ultra platnium that has been the fill since i bought the vehicle with 61k 4 years ago and has cleaned my engine varnish and fill neck area phenomenally! I kindly remind him that the type iv is conventional fluid and the Florida heat cooks conventional oils in all mechanisms. The previous owner had the vehicle serviced at Lexus since they bought it new for $72,000 in 2000 new from dealer. Should I heed my mechanics advice and lessen the drain and fills on my tranny? All inputs would be appreciated.
Old 01-04-18, 09:19 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

If the fluid is coming out that cherry red then you can go longer intervals. I do the routine at 30K miles.
Old 01-04-18, 09:20 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I think every 15k miles or 3 oil changes for me, is about right. 20k miles is fine too. I had a pretty annoying P0770 lockup solenoid that I had to replace on my 97, and I probably attribute that failure to infrequent transmission fluid drain and fills. It used to shudder when coming to a stop from 5mph to 0. Once I put a JY OEM solenoid in, since I couldn't afford the $300 for the new solenoid at the time, and flushed the transmission 3x with about 9 qts of Toyota T4 fluid, it helped the shift quality and smoothness tremendously.

I only have the A340E, or 4spd trans, so it's slightly different than your 5spd, but I can definitely tell that the transmission shifts smoother and when I command it to, kicks down quicker for highway merging.

I also replaced the tranny strainer, swapping the old for the new on my third drain and fill along with putting a more traditional gasket in place of the FIPG to make it easier. I don't have any leaks so it does its job of sealing the pan. I also used a WIX transmission filter and have no complaints. I've got 287k and the trans shows no signs of being tired at all.
The following users liked this post:
RA40 (01-04-18)
Old 01-05-18, 05:55 AM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I suppose I ought to knock on wood, but my '99 , which I've owned since '02, has 155k miles, with no xmission fluid changes at all. Why? Because the fluid is still cherry red, it doesn't have any leaks, has never thrown a code, and shifts perfectly. My wife only drives it about 5k miles/year, but I take it out and put it through a few WOT tests now and then, just to make sure there are no symptoms developing. I've done all engine maintenance, including TB/WP replacement@ 100k, PS pump rebuild, plus new engine mounts, strut rod bushings, brake pads, etc. as required. My opinion is that changing transmission fluid at anything less than 50k is overkill. But, each to his own.

Steve
Old 01-06-18, 10:44 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Originally Posted by fixmiester
I suppose I ought to knock on wood, but my '99 , which I've owned since '02, has 155k miles, with no xmission fluid changes at all. Why? Because the fluid is still cherry red, it doesn't have any leaks, has never thrown a code, and shifts perfectly. My wife only drives it about 5k miles/year, but I take it out and put it through a few WOT tests now and then, just to make sure there are no symptoms developing. I've done all engine maintenance, including TB/WP replacement@ 100k, PS pump rebuild, plus new engine mounts, strut rod bushings, brake pads, etc. as required. My opinion is that changing transmission fluid at anything less than 50k is overkill. But, each to his own.

Steve
I wouldn't call it changing ALL of the transmission fluid, but just doing a drain and fill of 3 qts keeps the transmission healthy and removes all the magnetic particles from the drain plug. Total cost for me is about $12-16 every year and a half, so its a pretty small investment in preventative maintenance.

I also used to live in a VERY hot climate, in Phoenix, AZ where summer time temps reach 115+ for an extended period of time, so my conditions will differ than yours and in most cases, every fluid change interval is considered severe.
Old 01-08-18, 05:38 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
a drain and fill of 3 qts keeps the transmission healthy and removes all the magnetic particles from the drain plug.

I also used to live in a VERY hot climate, in Phoenix, AZ where summer time temps reach 115+ for an extended period of time,
Both very good points. A three quart change means a total refresh is every fourth change. That is approximately a 40,000 mile interval for all the oil in the transmission, a sensible, conservative, respectful, diligent, proper interval . . . the Lexus Way.
Old 01-08-18, 06:56 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
I wouldn't call it changing ALL of the transmission fluid, but just doing a drain and fill of 3 qts keeps the transmission healthy and removes all the magnetic particles from the drain plug. Total cost for me is about $12-16 every year and a half, so its a pretty small investment in preventative maintenance.

I also used to live in a VERY hot climate, in Phoenix, AZ where summer time temps reach 115+ for an extended period of time, so my conditions will differ than yours and in most cases, every fluid change interval is considered severe.
I D+F the AT in my '91 about every 15k miles. Yes, it may be overkill, but I don't mind at all.

On the magnetic plug though, mine does not have one. Just a regular plug. Last time I D+F'ed it I tried to see if the magnetic generic plug I had bought (correct threads, I think M12x1.75) would fit, and I could tell it would not without even screwing it in. There is simply not enough clearance at the bottom end of the plug - the magnet protruding from the end of the plug would hit something inside the AT if I screwed it in. The pan itself does have square magnets, but of course you only get the metal off those when you drop the pan. Is there an aftermarket plug you're talking about that has a lower profile?

Another tip on D+F'ing the ATF, I have a sloping driveway, and when the front is jacked up, the car is at a pretty good angle. I find I get 4 quarts out when I leave it to drain for a day or so. So if you've got the time, you can get some more dirty fluid out with no extra effort (just time).
Old 01-10-18, 01:47 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Good old leaking silicon gasket maker. Like I've said its super difficult to clean the parts to use that stuff.
Old 01-11-18, 09:19 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Originally Posted by oldskewel
I D+F the AT in my '91 about every 15k miles. Yes, it may be overkill, but I don't mind at all.

On the magnetic plug though, mine does not have one. Just a regular plug. Last time I D+F'ed it I tried to see if the magnetic generic plug I had bought (correct threads, I think M12x1.75) would fit, and I could tell it would not without even screwing it in. There is simply not enough clearance at the bottom end of the plug - the magnet protruding from the end of the plug would hit something inside the AT if I screwed it in. The pan itself does have square magnets, but of course you only get the metal off those when you drop the pan. Is there an aftermarket plug you're talking about that has a lower profile?

Another tip on D+F'ing the ATF, I have a sloping driveway, and when the front is jacked up, the car is at a pretty good angle. I find I get 4 quarts out when I leave it to drain for a day or so. So if you've got the time, you can get some more dirty fluid out with no extra effort (just time).
Now that you mention it, I'm thinking about my Honda Accord's drain plug...you're right, this pan on my 97 LS had two rectangular magnets on the bottom that the shavings collected on. Sorry for the mix-up.