LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Front Suspension - What to Replace

Old 01-02-18, 06:17 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Suspension - What to Replace

Do lower control arms ever go bad? I am looking into replacing only what is necessary on a 1st gen Lexus that has 100K plus miles on it and a worn front suspension. I cannot find aftermarket parts to replace the lower control arms, so was thinking of replacing only the upper control arms, the tie rods and the sway bar bushings and links. The strut rod bushings have already been replaced. Just wondering if there is any other part or parts that I should look to replace to get improvement in the ride (and to get rid of a clunking noise when driving on rough roads with potholes). Thanks in advance for any advice/info.
Old 01-02-18, 07:31 PM
Scraape
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by PlotPoint
Do lower control arms ever go bad? I am looking into replacing only what is necessary on a 1st gen Lexus that has 100K plus miles on it and a worn front suspension. I cannot find aftermarket parts to replace the lower control arms, so was thinking of replacing only the upper control arms, the tie rods and the sway bar bushings and links. The strut rod bushings have already been replaced. Just wondering if there is any other part or parts that I should look to replace to get improvement in the ride (and to get rid of a clunking noise when driving on rough roads with potholes). Thanks in advance for any advice/info.
yes, they absolutely go bad. I know you have a 1st gen so front suspension may be slightly different from mine.
I got my 98 with 248k on it and the driver side lower control arm bushing was toast! (refer to picture) They can go bad from wear, previous owner hopping curbs on the reg, etc. Definitely not something to overlook. I got lucky and found an aftermarket pair of front lower control arms for $150 shipped on ebay. They've held up just fine, but they are for 95-00 cars

I'd also recommend LCA, UCA & BJ, Lower Ball Joints, Strut Rod(Bushings) & Tie Rods (inner and outer).

Last edited by Scraape; 01-02-18 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-02-18, 08:00 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

Originally Posted by Scraape
yes, they absolutely go bad. I know you have a 1st gen so front suspension may be slightly different from mine.
I got my 98 with 248k on it and the driver side lower control arm bushing was toast! (refer to picture) They can go bad from wear, previous owner hopping curbs on the reg, etc. Definitely not something to overlook. I got lucky and found an aftermarket pair of front lower control arms for $150 shipped on ebay. They've held up just fine, but they are for 95-00 cars

I'd also recommend LCA, UCA & BJ, Lower Ball Joints, Strut Rod(Bushings) & Tie Rods (inner and outer).
Appreciate the list! Thx. I have already picked out the UCA (Dorman). The Dorman lower control arms are $278 each on parts geek, so looks like I could easily spend close to a grand on a few parts! What you paid is a lot lower for LCA than anything I have seen online for first gens (sigh). I will keep looking. Thanks again for the list.

Last edited by PlotPoint; 01-02-18 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-02-18, 08:36 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

I found aftermarket LCAs for first gens on eBay (probably the same seller you (Scraape) got them from since they are the same price -- $150). I sent a query to the seller trying to get a brand name. Just says 'aftermarket' and 'good quality'. We shall see.
Old 01-03-18, 12:37 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

I saved a lot of money by replacing only what was needed, the bushings. Febest makes a bushing that presses into the LCAs for about $18 a piece. You'll just need to press them into and out of the control arms.

If you get a 12 Ton press from Harbor Freight, it'll save you a ton of money down the road when you consider all the uses you can do with it. Wheel bearings can also be pressed in/out.
Old 01-03-18, 06:12 AM
Scraape
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by PlotPoint
I found aftermarket LCAs for first gens on eBay (probably the same seller you (Scraape) got them from since they are the same price -- $150). I sent a query to the seller trying to get a brand name. Just says 'aftermarket' and 'good quality'. We shall see.
yeah I didn't even ask what the brand was, "aftermarket" says more than enough for me lol.
I run these control arms on my car and haven't had any issues
Old 01-03-18, 01:15 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Like Losiracer2, I just pressed new bearings into the LCA's. Toyota Genuine parts: 48654-50010

There is a thread on here with tons of measurements and pics to show how to do it. I do not have a hydraulic press. Just used a rental C-clamp press from PepBoys.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9818498

Improved things, but did not solve my clunking problem. Turns out, it was 4 loosened nuts/bolts(I forget) in the big Aluminum cross member that goes from left to right under the rear of the engine. Easily accessible when looking under the car. If you just put a socket on those, you might feel them to be loose, like I did. That solved it for me. I had looked so far and wide under there, and it was funny that it ended up being such a simple fix once I found the problem.

My '91 with 197k miles still has most of its original parts and is running very well. So I would advise against just replacing tons of parts before doing your best to figure out what is worn out. Tough to figure this out, I know, but chances are that most parts are still good.

Last edited by oldskewel; 01-03-18 at 01:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
EthanS (01-23-18)