LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Wire Tucking

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-17, 09:45 PM
datucf20
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wire Tucking

My 95 LS400 is currently but I did not do any wire tucking and I'm afraid it's going to shred up the wires. I need several tips so I can start. How do I go about removing the fenders? Do I remove fenders on both sides to wire tuck? Pics would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-22-17, 10:23 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

What is wire tucking?
You mean routing the electrical wiring ? I really don't understand this post. The factory did all that for you. Any wiring with in the fender area is underneath the plastic inner liner fender, and that is what you remove to get to the wiring. Of course the tires have to be off to access that area. The outside metal fenders stay on. Besides to remove them the plastic inner panels or fenders come off first, just jack it up take off the front tires and then all the plastic inside under the fenders you will find what your looking for.
Old 09-23-17, 03:30 AM
Moarpower
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

How low are you sitting? If you are on 20s and have it lowered than yeah, dont trust the plastic to save your wires because rubbing may end up doing some dame. However this totally depends on your wheel and ride height set up. Just take a look in the wheel well and see if there are signs of heavy wear on the plastic covers. If so, either raise your car or consider a routing job.

Both fenders need to come of. There is not really a "best practice" for the ls400 as not that many people bother sharing the process. But just pull off the guards and try to replicate the routing as close as possible. You may need to do some cutting tho.

Last edited by Moarpower; 09-23-17 at 03:35 AM.
Old 09-25-17, 04:31 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
What is wire tucking?
You mean routing the electrical wiring ? I really don't understand this post. The factory did all that for you. Any wiring with in the fender area is underneath the plastic inner liner fender, and that is what you remove to get to the wiring. Of course the tires have to be off to access that area. The outside metal fenders stay on. Besides to remove them the plastic inner panels or fenders come off first, just jack it up take off the front tires and then all the plastic inside under the fenders you will find what your looking for.
in this case the OP is actually asking for help on tips to REROUTE the wiring under the front fenders away from the tire which is possibly making contact from being either too big or too low.
it does makes things easier to remove the fenders to be able to remove the wiring and remount higher and away from the tire. there isn't a how to on this as it's more of a case by case basis which is very rare around here.
there as a member SERIALNINE who did this however all his pictures need rehosting on photobucket.

here is a crude capture I found on the interwebs.
Old 09-27-17, 06:30 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

help an old man.... what is the THRILL you get from messing your car up, where you have to do something like this so you can drive it... I just dont get it...
Attached Thumbnails Wire Tucking-067-2-.jpg  
Old 09-27-17, 10:54 AM
blumagic
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by billydpowe
help an old man.... what is the THRILL you get from messing your car up, where you have to do something like this so you can drive it... I just dont get it...
The demographic variety in this forum makes me laugh sometimes. Nothing is messed up, if you lower the car and don't do this then the car will be messed up. If you don't like lowered cars, then it is just taste.

Here is another one in addition to what Timmy0tool posted
Old 09-27-17, 03:35 PM
EthanS
Pole Position

Received 77 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by billydpowe
Its all about the Instachats and the Snapgrams these days old man...
(coming from a lowered LS400 owner, who has performed this wire-tuck job)

In all seriousness OP, there isn't really a step-by-step write up for this process... sure LS400's are becoming more popular as a platform for modification, but they are still way way behind when comparing to the online support that other cars get, such as 240sx, rx7, and other 90's imports with a similar fan base. Google search "s13 wire tuck" and you get about a billion hits.
Maybe you can be the first to create a detailed write-up?! You'd earn mad scene points yo.

Dont overthink it though, the best thing to do is just set aside a Saturday and get at it. I had no help either.
The wire harness on the drivers side is thicker than the passenger side, so I would start there. Chances are the drivers side will get chewed up before the other side.

Remove all the plastic trim in the wheel well (I had to remove the big plastic trim under the radiator and front bumper too) and see what you can do with a drill bit and some zipties to keep that harness up out of harms way. I did not remove my fenders to get this job done to my satisfaction, just worked around them. I re-installed the plastic wheel well trim after I was done with the tuck, so that I could easily monitor how much the tire might be chewing things up. Almost a year of daily driving later and its still looking great.

Last edited by EthanS; 09-27-17 at 03:39 PM.