LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

33,000 Mile Time Capsule 1996 LS400 on Craiglist! Clean AZ Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-17, 02:38 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 171 Posts
Default 33,000 Mile Time Capsule 1996 LS400 on Craiglist! Clean AZ Car

Someone better jump on this! its not going to last long for the $4995 they want. I copied the photos in case it expires. https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/c...264027318.html

-Original Owner
-32,487 miles
-Grandma Driven, literally
-Dealer Maintained each year

Is this the Holy grail of LS400 finds?

Last edited by Losiracer2; 08-15-17 at 02:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
wnyjazz (08-20-17)
Old 08-15-17, 04:48 AM
AandSC
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That is a great find for someone. If I didn't have mine I would definitely be interested.
Old 08-15-17, 05:47 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

That is a nice find. Those are few and far between. Thanks for sharing... Like I need another car?!?!?
Old 08-15-17, 10:41 AM
Spartan536
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

That is an extremely rare find, just 1 major thing to note...

Check to see if the ECU has been replaced recently, the only reason I state this is that I also found a rarity, a 1992 with 86,500 miles, garage kept, old man driven (literally), ALL services done by the same local Lexus dealer that imported it from Japan back in 1992.

Some things that needed to be done were and Oil change, transmission flush & fill, power steering flush and fill, replace alternator, replace battery, replace blown A/C - Radio fuse, replace outed tail light, add freon (it's a 92 so yeah, no R-132A), and radiator flush and fill. This was all done when I bought the car, the seals are good as there is no sign of leaking, I do not have an vacuum leaks (yet), but what did just start happening 5 months after I bought the car....

1. A/C controls turning on and off at random (when the climate control has power it blows cold air, diagnostics showed no faults)

2. Sluggish performance when compared to other cars of the same generation LS400.

3. Very low idle, my idle was saying around 150-200 RPM

4. OBD reader shows no fault code, is not recognized (despite being an OBD 1), my mechanic has a reader for it, confirmed that the ECU is NOT communicating.

5. STRONG gas/sulfur smell when car is running, like it's running rich.

6. This is what drove the nail home.... erratic idle surges going from 150/200 RPM to 1000 RPM and getting worse until the engine stalls. It gets worse the longer the engine runs, and if you let the car "cool down" you get another 5 minutes of drivability before you get 5 minutes of erratic idle and the car stalls again. Attempts to clean the throttle body, MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor), and IACV showed little improvement.

What does all this point to?

A Dying ECU with bad capacitors.

A new ECU will easily run you $1,200 - $1,500 NEW, IF you can find one. Then you have to have your car reprogrammed by Lexus due to the security system, that is another expensive endeavour.

So is the car now a piece of junk? HELL NO

Luckily there are 2 people registered on these forums Yamae & LSCowboy. Yamae is an electrical engineer from Japan, is knowledge is of the highest caliber and he is an extremely well respected member of this community. His knowledge is so extensive you might as well consider him to be the electrical engineer that built the LS400's. LSCowboy is an American electrical engineer who used to work for NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center as an engineer, yes he worked for NASA, as did his father, both he and Yamae are THE PREMIER sources of information on all ECU problems.

Here is the good news, should your ECU be the factory one or even a replacement from 10 years ago, it may very well still have the capacitor flaws that can wreak havoc on your ECU. The longer you wait, the more damage it does from the leaking caps, this can lead to a whole nore core being needed, and that can get expensive depending on the year. LSCowboy does repair ECU's according to Yamae's very detailed and specific guidelines, and his prices are a whole lot cheaper than buying a new one, and in many cases even buying a used one, plus there is no reprogramming needed!

LSCowboy has a facebook page where you can ask him all the questions you need regarding your year and what kind of work your ECU might need, his page is called Japanese ECU ECM PCM Repair by LsCowboyls

What you have is an extremely rare find, and if maintained well it should last you through 2 more average cars lifespans before you sell it, unless you want to put it in a will, they do last that long when properly cared for and not wrecked by other idiots on the road

How do I know so much about this, besides personal experience?

I talked with LSCowboy extensively, he is a wealth of knowledge on the matter, and I am also an IT hardware professional with over 12 years of experience, with certifications to match and a college education in IT hardware. I have repaired motherboards, fan connectors, and a few other PC related components, the ECU is pretty much like a PC, so it's easy for me to understand.

The capacitors that Yamae and LSCowboy used are literally the top %1 of caps in the world and are VERY SPECIFIC. I prefer Authentic Japanese Nichicon caps as I have experience with them in the PC industry with ASUS and ASRock high end boards that are freaking beasts when it comes to performance and reliability.

Last edited by Spartan536; 08-15-17 at 11:33 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Spartan536:
JetCat (03-17-18), spuds (02-28-18), wnyjazz (08-20-17)
Old 08-15-17, 10:49 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus
Forum Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

omg those dash needles!! finest example indeed

^^ what spartan said about the ECU is on point.The leaked capacitors can destroy traces on the PCB and is very time consuming to repair. It requires extensive cleaning and rework (ohming out and verifying under a microscope) to repair the traces destroyed by the leaked caps, even desoldering the large engine harness connector. not fun.

Last edited by jadu; 08-15-17 at 10:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Spartan536 (08-15-17)
Old 08-15-17, 02:13 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

No grandma is going to go get window tint. And now all the nice little stickers are gone.
Old 08-15-17, 02:22 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Originally Posted by dicer
No grandma is going to go get window tint. And now all the nice little stickers are gone.
Are you kidding? Do you know how hot AZ gets in the summertime? Inside car temps can reach 175 degrees...I tested it with a meat thermometer one summer when I used to live there. Window tint is a must, I doubt Lexus owners would skimp on that, it's not like it's a single cab Tacoma pickup with crank windows....we're talking about a luxury car here.

and what stickers do you mean?
Old 08-15-17, 02:24 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Originally Posted by jadu
omg those dash needles!! finest example indeed

^^ what spartan said about the ECU is on point.The leaked capacitors can destroy traces on the PCB and is very time consuming to repair. It requires extensive cleaning and rework (ohming out and verifying under a microscope) to repair the traces destroyed by the leaked caps, even desoldering the large engine harness connector. not fun.
Your needles are not working? My cluster registers 284k and the needles look exactly like those. Maybe it's because mine also lived in a hot climate?
Old 08-15-17, 02:41 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
Your needles are not working? My cluster registers 284k and the needles look exactly like those. Maybe it's because mine also lived in a hot climate?
I dont have a 1LS but two SC's, a 92 and 93, and yes they both are going out, unfortunately. I'm not sure if the burned out needle epidemic is only with 1SC nor if the LS needles are significantly more superior but they're only a few years apart. It is absolutely nice to see a mint gauge cluster
Old 08-16-17, 11:34 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you kidding? Do you know how hot AZ gets in the summertime? Inside car temps can reach 175 degrees...I tested it with a meat thermometer one summer when I used to live there. Window tint is a must, I doubt Lexus owners would skimp on that, it's not like it's a single cab Tacoma pickup with crank windows....we're talking about a luxury car here.

and what stickers do you mean?
My windows aren't tinted and it gets hot lol. Good thing I got full sun shades. My parent's mini van has tinted windows and sure it's nice in the day but at night you can't see that well.

Originally Posted by jadu
I dont have a 1LS but two SC's, a 92 and 93, and yes they both are going out, unfortunately. I'm not sure if the burned out needle epidemic is only with 1SC nor if the LS needles are significantly more superior but they're only a few years apart. It is absolutely nice to see a mint gauge cluster
My cluster has 144444 miles on it and all the lights work. Only thing is the drive light does not come on when I shift it into drive. I was going to fix it, however, I would fear there would be more glare at night. I may take a cluster from the junk yard and take it apart for spare parts incase mine starts to have iss
Old 08-17-17, 07:48 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Looks like this puppy has sold. Ad has been deleted by author. And we knew that clean, low miles, for the southwest would not last long.
Old 08-17-17, 09:29 AM
driftsucky
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm quietly looking for a 95 right now. But, I might have made an exception for this. My 93 is nice, but I need another one.
Old 08-18-17, 07:08 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Originally Posted by Legender
Looks like this puppy has sold. Ad has been deleted by author. And we knew that clean, low miles, for the southwest would not last long.
Yep, looks like it sold in a day and a half. Might even have had a bidding war over it with perspective buyers being that clean and low mileage
Old 08-18-17, 07:52 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus
Forum Moderator

Yep, looks like it sold in a day and a half. Might even have had a bidding war over it with perspective buyers being that clean and low mileage
we'll probably see it again in the next few weeks or so selling for $11,000!
Old 02-28-18, 09:43 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts
Thumbs up

This is true.Mine is black and seller had just recently had tint done.Noticing my looking at it remarks..."You could remove it if you dont like it,but it really does a fine job knocking down the temps" and they lived at the beach.Not hot,but very sunny,so they had the greenhouse effect.Its growing on me,looks fine on a black car.Wasnt done to look cool(though it does) but was done to BE cool.

Oh yeah,I can see Gram and Gramps getting it tinted.

Last edited by spuds; 02-28-18 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: 33,000 Mile Time Capsule 1996 LS400 on Craiglist! Clean AZ Car