LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Installing used AC compressor

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-16, 11:16 AM
NCLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing used AC compressor

Hi,

95 Lexus LS 400. 200,000 miles. AC compressor locked up. Have removed it.

Car won't run without the compressor of course because of belt configuration, so thinking of installing a used one.

I know the possibility of shavings in system, especially mine because I could hear bearings grinding for a month before it locked up.
Just cannot afford to totally rebuild with new compressor, have system flushed, etc.

My question is, I just want the car to run. I don't need the AC. Just want local transportation and try to sell the car.
If I install the used compressor, will it run without charging with freon. Or if I dont charge it up, will it eventually lock up?
Just looking for cheapest way to get car to run with or without cold ac.
Thank you!
Old 04-24-16, 12:04 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

The one you have should work if the ac clutch still free wheels and the bearings for it are okay.
If you install a used one that is what you want on it too. If its not charged it just won't turn on, that is engage the ac clutch, it would always stay in the free wheel condition, which basically turns it into just another idler pulley to support the belt.
Old 04-24-16, 01:12 PM
NCLex
Driver School Candidate

Default AC compressor

The compressor is locked up, and you can't turn the pully, the bearings are bad so will need at least a used one. I appreciate your reply. Exactly what I thought.
Thanks!
Old 04-24-16, 03:58 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

With just the ac compressor locked up the inner part would not turn by hand. If you can not also turn the pulley, then either the clutch is stuck engaged, or the bearings for the pulley are also shot.
Old 04-25-16, 10:25 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

you can possibly replace just the ac bearing, no need to remove the ac compressor its self,part is available online.
Old 04-25-16, 11:52 PM
Schramm
Driver School Candidate

Get a used A/C compressor and install it. It should cost about $75 - 150 depending on condition. Assuming the rest of the A/C system is working, you could have a shop recharge the system properly for about $125. Do not try filling it yourself with refrigerant in a can; it is impossible to know how much refrigerant and oil is added. If you did not recover the old R-134a with a vacuum pump, there will still be oil in the lines. The pump is sensitive to amount of refrigerant and oil. It may be worth doing in heat of NC.
Old 04-26-16, 10:55 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I'm away from home right now, so I can't check if this is a crazy idea, so I'll throw it out there in case you have not considered it yet ...

Can you get a shorter A-belt and bypass the AC compressor completely? To be extra clear, the new A-belt would hit the pulleys of all the remaining components, but will not touch the AC compressor pulley. Will the shorter belt route around things OK?
Old 04-26-16, 11:53 AM
sndlight
Driver

Originally Posted by NCLex
If I install the used compressor, will it run without charging with freon. Or if I dont charge it up, will it eventually lock up?
The car will run with a used compressor. The AC will not run if you don't recharge it or recharge it. If you do run the AC with the used compressor all of the metal shavings from your grenaded one will ruin the used one in a matter of minutes to an hour IF you charge it back up with freon.
I had your same problem. I have a black LS in illinois and summer gets to 100 degrees and above. Making my car very crappy to be in.
what I did was buy a $80 reman compressor from eBay, rented a AC flusher from autozone, bought flushing fluid and flushed only the condensor (in front of the radiator) with it removed from vehicle. Replaced filter drier and all orings I could get to. Added some PAG oil to comprssor, drier, and condensor. Pulled vacuum and charged with 2 cans of R134. I have a robinair vacuum pump for this purpose already. If you don't have one take it to a shop who does. Should cost $40-60 or so to evacuate and recharge.
My AC has been working for almost a year for a total cost of a few hours of my time, $80 reman + $15 drier + $10 flush fluid + $10 oring kit + $7 refrigerant + $6 PAG oil = $128 total.
Do not bother with all this work if you are putting a junkyard compressor in. I tried that and the compressor I got was junk lol. Had to replace my new drier again (DRIERS ARE ONE TIME USE ITEMS) and buy more freon. Btw I was 19 years old and had never done any AC work before. Got all this accomplished with the help of CL and info from some Honda forums (more users work on their own cars over there)

Last edited by sndlight; 04-26-16 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-26-16, 12:12 PM
sndlight
Driver

Originally Posted by NCLex
The compressor is locked up, and you can't turn the pully, the bearings are bad so will need at least a used one. I appreciate your reply. Exactly what I thought.
Thanks!
Sounds like just the pulley bearing has seized.
If you need just a good pulley that freewheels (bearing is good) and don't need the AC to work I can send you an alright clutch assembly for the cost of shipping. Youll need snap ring pliers and a 8mm on an impact wrench to change the pulley off the car if I remember correctly.
Old 04-27-16, 01:56 PM
GoBp
Driver School Candidate

Default I have the same problem on my 97

Originally Posted by sndlight
Sounds like just the pulley bearing has seized.
If you need just a good pulley that freewheels (bearing is good) and don't need the AC to work I can send you an alright clutch assembly for the cost of shipping. Youll need snap ring pliers and a 8mm on an impact wrench to change the pulley off the car if I remember correctly.
The same day I purchased my ls, the bearing locked up completely which snapped the belt. Found the correct belt length to reroute around and been riding since last august. with summer near I would like to address the problem. I'm about a hour from Chicago
Old 04-27-16, 04:21 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GoBp
The same day I purchased my ls, the bearing locked up completely which snapped the belt. Found the correct belt length to reroute around and been riding since last august. with summer near I would like to address the problem. I'm about a hour from Chicago
What year car and what size belt:?
Old 05-05-16, 06:48 AM
GoBp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
What year car and what size belt:?
1997 and i'll head over to Autozone and check my warranty file for the belt size I used
Old 05-08-16, 11:55 PM
LS400FAN
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Schramm
Get a used A/C compressor and install it. It should cost about $75 - 150 depending on condition. Assuming the rest of the A/C system is working, you could have a shop recharge the system properly for about $125. Do not try filling it yourself with refrigerant in a can; it is impossible to know how much refrigerant and oil is added. If you did not recover the old R-134a with a vacuum pump, there will still be oil in the lines. The pump is sensitive to amount of refrigerant and oil. It may be worth doing in heat of NC.
My concern with a used ac compressor is it's only a matter of time before it goes bad, I've decided to go with a new Denso for $280.00, question for you is there any way to tell if metal shavings got into the sys, and how exactly do you flush the sys out?
Old 05-09-16, 04:47 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Also change o rings in the system, there are some that you can't change easy and if they are leaking you will be back to square one. They are the ones where the whole dash comes out.

Last edited by dicer; 05-09-16 at 04:51 AM.
Old 05-09-16, 06:17 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LS400FAN
My concern with a used ac compressor is it's only a matter of time before it goes bad, I've decided to go with a new Denso for $280.00, question for you is there any way to tell if metal shavings got into the sys, and how exactly do you flush the sys out?
dont just change the compressor, IF the compressor imploded u will have to change the condensor..filter drier. buy the whole kit to do the job correctly. kit number at napa is
DEN35540N
denso compressor that is included is 471-1220

Quick Reply: Installing used AC compressor