LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

full power steering delete. thoughts needed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-16, 05:42 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Default full power steering delete. thoughts needed?

since ive had my 95 Ls400 ive had chronic PS problems that just cant be fixed. ive replaced every single part twice, rack pump all the hoses basically everything that could go wrong, has and its been replaced multiple times, even using OEM parts and once even at the dealership. well, a few days ago my car sprung a PS fluid leak, again and im fed up with it at this point. so im thinking about a full power steering delete, or getting one of those Clorox PS fluid shields cause ive also blown to alternators because of this as well. so how hard would it be to do a full PS delete and im not talking about just bypassing the pump. im talking about removing the pump and all of its components completely, and getting a non power steering rack as well so that its easy to drive. what would you guys recommend for a basic rack that is ment for manual steering? ive had it up to my eyeballs with it. is this cheaper and easier to have the entire system replaced, again??
Old 03-28-16, 08:20 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

wouldn't you need to replace the pump with something just to keep the accessory belt on the correct path? does the leak always come from the same place or is it just random? just get rid of the 95 and buy a 99 that isn't leaking
Old 03-28-16, 09:02 AM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
since ive had my 95 Ls400 ive had chronic PS problems that just cant be fixed. ive replaced every single part twice, rack pump all the hoses basically everything that could go wrong, has and its been replaced multiple times, even using OEM parts and once even at the dealership. well, a few days ago my car sprung a PS fluid leak, again and im fed up with it at this point. so im thinking about a full power steering delete, or getting one of those Clorox PS fluid shields cause ive also blown to alternators because of this as well. so how hard would it be to do a full PS delete and im not talking about just bypassing the pump. im talking about removing the pump and all of its components completely, and getting a non power steering rack as well so that its easy to drive. what would you guys recommend for a basic rack that is ment for manual steering? ive had it up to my eyeballs with it. is this cheaper and easier to have the entire system replaced, again??
LOL. I too was thinking about this recently...

I have no knowledge of what would be required to do this on the LS but, on my old Mazda Miata, we removed the pump, installed a new non-P/S drive belt, and welded the power-steering rack.

We retained and modified the power-steering rack instead of installing a manual-rack due to the favorable ratio offered by the power-rack.

Worked great on the street but...especially on the track.

Mike
Old 03-28-16, 09:02 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

You're kidding...

First of all, NO ONE makes a manual steering rack for the LS400. NO ONE. Even if you found one, the purchase and installation cost would likely surpass what it would take to get a REAL mechanic to fix your problem.

Secondly, good luck trying to sell it...or park it.
Old 03-28-16, 09:09 AM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Daspyda
You're kidding...

First of all, NO ONE makes a manual steering rack for the LS400. NO ONE. Even if you found one, the purchase and installation cost would likely surpass what it would take to get a REAL mechanic to fix your problem.

Secondly, good luck trying to sell it...or park it.
It may be possible to weld the LS power-rack to act as a manual-rack like I did on my Miata. Though, since I have absolutely zero experience with this modification on the LS, I'm not sure if it will work.

Mike
Old 03-28-16, 11:20 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

You should have no problems. PS is over rated. This LS is the first of my 4 cars to have PS, and I don't know why.
One more thing regarding the conversion ... you'll probably also want to put the engine in the back, Porsche-style, to keep the weight off the front wheels.
Old 03-28-16, 12:30 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

This reminds me of the A/C problems I had with a past Toyota. Every year something in the system would go down taking other parts out. Blew seals/o-rings, compressor would die, etc. After 3 years it had had 2 complete systems. Finally found an old school master tech at one dealership and let him have the last go before I made a decision on the car otherwise. He thoroughly cleared the system and rebuilt/replaced what was needed with good spec parts. (That was when I learned the lesson from the rebuilt junk that had "lifetime" warranty.) This was costly overall and from then on the A/C system was excellent.
Old 03-28-16, 01:10 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the problem is either the labor (you) or the quality of the parts. Reevaluate both then try again.

De-powering the LS is a silly idea, it's a nearly 2 ton car with a decent front weight bias, it would SUCK to drive without PS every day. Additionally there is no good way to de-power the LS rack, not in a way to make it acceptable for day to day use. This isn't a miata or 240sx that had manual rack options as well as weighed 2/3rds what a 2nd gen LS does.

You need someone competent to go through and identify why your system isn't up to par. It's not rocket science, there are literally only so many trouble areas. Pump, pressure lines, reservoir feed, rack, and return lines. Buy quality parts or have someone reputable rebuild what you already have. As RA40 has said, avoid most "lifetime" warranty replacement parts.
Old 03-28-16, 02:15 PM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
the problem is either the labor (you) or the quality of the parts. Reevaluate both then try again.

De-powering the LS is a silly idea, it's a nearly 2 ton car with a decent front weight bias, it would SUCK to drive without PS every day. Additionally there is no good way to de-power the LS rack, not in a way to make it acceptable for day to day use. This isn't a miata or 240sx that had manual rack options as well as weighed 2/3rds what a 2nd gen LS does.

You need someone competent to go through and identify why your system isn't up to par. It's not rocket science, there are literally only so many trouble areas. Pump, pressure lines, reservoir feed, rack, and return lines. Buy quality parts or have someone reputable rebuild what you already have. As RA40 has said, avoid most "lifetime" warranty replacement parts.
A wise post and much agreed.

However, I've driven several 60's-70's era muscle cars weighing 2 tons without power steering and managed just fine over the years. Though, I wouldn't consider any of those vehicles 'luxury cars'.

Mike
Old 03-28-16, 04:03 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Most of the old US cars were all recirculating ball screw type steering systems. I would think there would be some good manual aftermarket rack and pinion systems available that could be made to fit. The one thing I don't like on these or the older LS ps system is there is a skinny torsion spring of sorts that connects the steering to the valve and its the torsion action that causes the valve to open and allow pressure, kinda of spooky if that torsion rod broke. I don't remember where it is located in the system.
Old 03-30-16, 03:45 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

well my idea is trade it off for a 99 type
Old 03-31-16, 02:41 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by billydpowe
well my idea is trade it off for a 99 type
ive wanted a 1999 Ls400..... since 1999. its been 17 years, maybe its just time to get one lmao
Old 10-13-17, 12:18 PM
89OLDMAX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been toying with deleting my 1994 ls400 power steering also. I have torn the pump apart and by removing the vane and backing plates you can turn it into basically just an idler so your serpentine belt stays the same. Block off the high pressure outlet and plug the return nipple. Fill with 75-90 gear lube to lube the shaft and it is ready to go. Now I have driven the car without power steering and it can be done but it takes the pleasure out of driving it. Slow speed turning is a two handed affair but highway speed isn't that bad. I have a 1991 camry I did this too 5 years ago and you just get used to it, although I use the camry mainly in the winter here in Wisconsin and the slippery road surface helps steering effort quite a bit. My 1994 ls400 power steering system has been an on going problem. I use the car to pick-up used car purchases all over the U.S. so I want to eliminate any possible failures that I cannot fix on the road.