LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Possibly buying a 1997 LS, car has 1 problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-16, 11:05 PM
Bylan
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Possibly buying a 1997 LS, car has 1 problem

I test drove a quartz metallic Coach Edition ls400 the other day, and may purchase it today. The only thing on the car that didnt work was the HVAC controls. No lights on the LCD's or responses from the buttons. The pushy car salesman tried telling me they had ordered a new fuse box for the vehicle and "would fix it when the part came in this week". One thing I noticed when I test drove the vehicle was that there seemed to be some rust on the metal lining of the 12v outlet in the center console. Could this have shorted due to a spilled drink or something and blown a fuse, taking the HVAC control fuse with it? I'm not even sure where the fuses for the HVAC and outlet are as the internet has not yielded and diagrams. If anyone has these diagrams it would be greatly appreciated, and any other insight as well!
Old 03-24-16, 12:11 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Depending on what kind of $ they are asking, be careful. Fixing the AC could cost as much as a new engine.
Or you could have them sign a notarized paper saying they will pay what ever it costs to fix the problem with the HVAC, whether it be a control unit problem or complete ac unit over haul. The owners manual will say where to find the fuses. If they want to take off 2500 for covering potential costs to fix it, then do it. But that is based on 3000 dollar value, so that means you pay 500 for it.
Old 03-24-16, 09:05 AM
Bylan
Pit Crew

I also noticed that the dash clock was out. It is almost definitely a fuse issue, and the salesman told me they had ordered a new fuse box (he said the issue was with the fuse box under the hood), but I'm not sure which box houses the relevant fuses. As far as I can tell its the fuse box under the dash at the drivers seat. I had the same thinking, having something written up stating they agree to repair the HVAC and clock controls if I pay take ownership of the car.
Old 03-24-16, 09:13 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Bylan
I also noticed that the dash clock was out. It is almost definitely a fuse issue, and the salesman told me they had ordered a new fuse box (he said the issue was with the fuse box under the hood), but I'm not sure which box houses the relevant fuses. As far as I can tell its the fuse box under the dash at the drivers seat. I had the same thinking, having something written up stating they agree to repair the HVAC and clock controls if I pay take ownership of the car.
Much easier to have them fix the car first, then take ownership.
Old 03-24-16, 10:17 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

Hi Bylan, I'm with jaaa "Much easier to have them fix the car first, then take ownership."
as smart as you are, "you know you can always trust a used car salesman"
you are on your own if you buy it BEFORE it is fixed...
Old 03-24-16, 10:26 AM
sdolla86
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaaa
Much easier to have them fix the car first, then take ownership.
Yes is the best option.
Old 03-24-16, 10:31 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 340 Likes on 292 Posts

I would also have them fix it before purchasing the car. Does the AC and heat work?
Old 03-24-16, 11:12 AM
Bylan
Pit Crew

I agree. I'm going to call today and ask to speak to the owner or, if unavailable, the general manager. They say the fuse box was on the way and they'd have it this week, so waiting a few days is worth it to know that the ac and heat work. I have no trouble doing my own maintenance, but fudge taking the dash apart or putting in a new ac compressor or any of that. Thanks for the advice! I do hope they really did already have it on the way when I test drove the car, and didn't just order it that day...
Old 03-24-16, 11:13 AM
Bylan
Pit Crew

It's an unknown. The car is very clean and seems to of been well maintained. Florida and texas LEASED car for 90% of it's life, which is awesome because it means it was maintained by a Lexus dealership for atleast it's full warranty period and likely beyond.
Old 03-24-16, 11:37 AM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

yes certainly have them fix the climate control, so you can test the heat/AC for functionality, BEFORE you buy.

what's the price of the vehicle if you don't mind disclosing? mileage? a 97 should be in the 150-200k range, and even if it was lower than that, you shouldn't be paying more than $4k for it.
Old 03-24-16, 12:51 PM
Bylan
Pit Crew

Its got 189,632 after I test drove it. T-belt done at 138k, due in about 20k. The price we agreed on when I put a $100 deposit on the car was $2500, which is a steal if they fix the fuse situation and the ac/heat are up to snuff.
Old 03-24-16, 02:49 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bylan
Its got 189,632 after I test drove it. T-belt done at 138k, due in about 20k. The price we agreed on when I put a $100 deposit on the car was $2500, which is a steal if they fix the fuse situation and the ac/heat are up to snuff.
I don't care how well the car was maintained, you aren't that far from my car I car I bought in July with 217k miles. This is what I've replaced so far. Alternator, fixed leaky power steering pump, just ordered new transmission mounts and drive train insulators(I'm sure it needs engine mounts just haven't looked yet), replaced starter(no easy task and a $1000 bill if you can't do it yourself). I just noticed the tach needle is starting to go out so I'm sure I will need to revamp the instrument cluster soon. Oh yeah, replaced the resister pack too. I haven't looked at the capacitors in the computer yet, but it's on my list. I'm still looking at resealing the valve covers and both trany and oil pans. Replaced both power steering motors as they were shot. Radiator and belt tensioner pulley both died on me. Cars this old just start needing a lot of work at this age. I knew it going in as I got the car for $300, but I'm over $3000 total so far and that is with me doing all the labor myself. Not trying to scare you, but cars this old just need a lot of TLC.

Last edited by jaaa; 03-24-16 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-24-16, 03:37 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jaaa
I don't care how well the car was maintained, you aren't that far from my car I car I bought in July with 217k miles. This is what I've replaced so far. Alternator, fixed leaky power steering pump, just ordered new transmission mounts and drive train insulators(I'm sure it needs engine mounts just haven't looked yet), replaced starter(no easy task and a $1000 bill if you can't do it yourself). I just noticed the tach needle is starting to go out so I'm sure I will need to revamp the instrument cluster soon. Oh yeah, replaced the resister pack too. I haven't looked at the capacitors in the computer yet, but it's on my list. I'm still looking at resealing the valve covers and both trany and oil pans. Replaced both power steering motors as they were shot. Radiator and belt tensioner pulley both died on me. Cars this old just start needing a lot of work at this age. I knew it going in as I got the car for $300, but I'm over $3000 total so far and that is with me doing all the labor myself. Not trying to scare you, but cars this old just need a lot of TLC.
. So just know in advance, that the next few years will cost you a bit more than your initial purchase.
Old 03-24-16, 10:50 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

X2 with Jaaa.

So then there are service records? I'd check them good. Unless you are a DIY person, and not saying these cars are not worth even paying the dealer or a shop to keep up, just be prepared for it.
There are lots of little things that can go bad and can not be cheap fixes when others do the work.
And in another breath if you had to spend 10k fixing it up and that is if the body and paint and interior are all 10 out of 10 ie. perfect condition, where else could you get a car like that for that much. Remember brand new they where in the 50k area.