LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

rear axle bent -- alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-03, 01:37 PM
LS400_96
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rear axle bent -- alignment?

Hi, everyone. This is my first post. Sorry about the long write up. I hope somebody could answer some few questions.

I have a problem with my 1996 LS400. I bought the car five months ago but got into a recent accident while making a left turn. Some guy ran a yellow light and collided with me. Then he ran off. It was bascially a hit and run accident. I was not hurt during the accident, but my car got pretty banged up. The rear passenger quarter panel and the rear door got damaged. Not only this but the rear axle got BENT IN!!! Meaning, there is a negative camber and a slight toe in.

I was pretty pissed off about the incident. I could not find the guy who hit me, but it was an old 80's Toyota Corolla that was speeding. I could fix the damage through my insurance but my deductable is like $1000, and I don't want my insurance to go up. So I was thinking about fixing it myself.

The damage to the body will be fixed at a body shop, but I wanted to try to fix the bent axle myself. I took the rear tire out and found that the upper suspension arm was bent. So, I thought if I fix this then everything might return to normal. So, I went to a junk yard and bought it for $100. I replaced the part and found that the camber was better than before but there was like a 5 degree toe in. (I used a string and placed one end to the front wheel and the other end to the rear wheel).

So, I look back at the problem and find that the rods holding the axle carrier did not look bent. I tried to look for a toe-in toe-out alignment rod like in my Nissan Maxima but could not find one. Does anyone know if a rear alignment can be done on a LS400. I am thinking the problem maybe an alignment or the axle carrier could be bent. Any suggestions.

Again, sorry for the long post. I hope someone could help me out. Thanks
Old 04-27-03, 04:56 PM
MGRepairs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Four wheel alignment

I recently replaced the steering rack on my '95 LS, 141K (it has a leak from the rack to a boot to the gararge floor). Upon completion, I took it to the dealer for an alignment. They advised that the only way to do an alignment on this model is a four wheel alignment, so yes, your rear end can and should be aligned.

While seemingly expensive, $89, I am pleased with the results and feel the price was no less than fair.

May I suggest that rather than just replace parts, you have a competent shop lift the car and advise based on their knowledge and experience. It may be well worth any expenses involved.