LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

rear axle bent -- alignment?

Old 04-23-03, 01:33 PM
LS400_96
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rear axle bent -- alignment?

Hi, everyone. This is my first post. Sorry about the long write up. I hope somebody could answer some few questions.

I have a problem with my 1996 LS400. I bought the car five months ago but got into a recent accident while making a left turn. Some guy ran a yellow light and collided with me. Then he ran off. It was bascially a hit and run accident. I was not hurt during the accident, but my car got pretty banged up. The rear passenger quarter panel and the rear door got damaged. Not only this but the rear axle got BENT IN!!! Meaning, there is a negative camber and a slight toe in.

I was pretty pissed off about the incident. I could not find the guy who hit me, but it was an old 80's Toyota Corolla that was speeding. I could fix the damage through my insurance but my deductable is like $1000, and I don't want my insurance to go up. So I was thinking about fixing it myself.

The damage to the body will be fixed at a body shop, but I wanted to try to fix the bent axle myself. I took the rear tire out and found that the upper suspension arm was bent. So, I thought if I fix this then everything might return to normal. So, I went to a junk yard and bought it for $100. I replaced the part and found that the camber was better than before but there was like a 5 degree toe in. (I used a string and placed one end to the front wheel and the other end to the rear wheel).

So, I look back at the problem and find that the rods holding the axle carrier did not look bent. I tried to look for a toe-in toe-out alignment rod like in my Nissan Maxima but could not find one. Does anyone know if a rear alignment can be done on a LS400. I am thinking the problem maybe an alignment or the axle carrier could be bent. Any suggestions.

Again, sorry for the long post. I hope someone could help me out. Thanks
Old 04-23-03, 01:45 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Yes, there is a rear alignment. Not sure about the 96 but I would assume so since the 93 has it.

1. Measure the length of the No. 1 and 2 lower suspension arms.
2. Check if the right and left sides are equal. If not, adjust the length of the arm by turning the adjusting cam until the left and right side lengths are equal.
3. Measure camber and toe-in. If the camber and toe-in are still not within specification, adjust the camber and toe-in with the adjusting cam.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-23-03, 02:17 PM
LS400_96
Driver

Thanks for the reply.

I am looking for an adjustment rod like the one you are talking about, but I cannot seem to find one. All the rods that I see are one piece, meaning there isn't a bolt like rod with a nut on it.

If you take the wheel out, can you see it? Or is it hidden somewhere on the top covered by something.
Old 04-23-03, 02:38 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

The Rear Camber & Toe-in Adjusting Cam is right behind the muffler.
Old 04-23-03, 03:24 PM
LS400_96
Driver

Okay, I have the FSM in front of me, and I see the No. 1 and 2 lower suspension arms. I see there is an adjustment cam, like you said, on the arms. But, I am confused on how to adjust the cams. I suppose I have to loosen the nut first and then ...

You said to".... adjust the length of the arm by turning the adjusting cam until the left and right side lengths are equal."

Could you explain a little further on how to do this. I am not sure how the adjusting cam works. But, I am pretty sure that if the rear can be aligned then the toe-in problem should be fixed.

Thanks spxChrome.
Old 04-23-03, 04:25 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

It's not turn left to loosen and right to tighten. You just need to make sure they are the same. Look at the matchmarks.

The specs are:

Right and Left limits are
-1.5 to 0

Right and Left desired are:

Toe-In Inches

This is for my 93 with no air suspension. If you have air suspension then the limits and desired will be different.

Last edited by spxChrome; 04-23-03 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-23-03, 05:27 PM
LS400_96
Driver

Alright, i got what you mean. The specs for the 96 is alittle different but pretty much the same. Thanks