LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Driver fender well harness relocation gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-16, 07:09 PM
Suprjdmbro
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver fender well harness relocation gone bad

So after fixing my last issue with the oil pan, I found my low oil light on, turns out to be that pesky fender well harness. I've relocated this thing three times already, so I decide to dive in and chop the harness in two and run it in the engine bay. I labeled both ends as I cut them with numbers 1-58. After soldering and heat shrinking them I finally got to start the car, and nothing happens. No clickono nothing, not even my auto steering wheel telescope works. So I found two solder connections that were questionable and I butt connected them because I was out of solder. Alas my steering wheel goes to the correct spot, however the car does not start still. Tested continuity in all the wires I added from the start of the new section to the end and all are good. This time when I try and start it, not even my steering wheel comes down. Does anyone have any idea what I should look for tho fix this? I tries to pull the harness out from the car at the driver kick panel but for the life of me could not get it out.
Old 02-16-16, 12:41 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

you mucked a wire or few up, nothing else. We can't tell you where to look because your symptoms are far to generic and you haven't eliminated anything yet. If you found 2 bad connections you probably have more.

Also looking for toasted fuses/fusible links isn't a bad idea.
Old 02-16-16, 01:43 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

So I guess the Lexus engineers and the assembly guys at the plant routed that harness in the proper place then? Sounds like you need a new harness or good used one, and to route it where it is supposed to be????
Old 02-16-16, 05:06 AM
Suprjdmbro
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
you mucked a wire or few up, nothing else. We can't tell you where to look because your symptoms are far to generic and you haven't eliminated anything yet. If you found 2 bad connections you probably have more.

Also looking for toasted fuses/fusible links isn't a bad idea.
Does anyone have a wiring diagram of that harness so I could narrow it down by a few wires. I have allldata but that harness is not broken down anywhere.
Old 02-16-16, 12:00 PM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

yikes, yea you will need to methodically double check your work to see if any other wires were not properly put back together. why not just correlate the colors to one another?
Old 02-16-16, 03:54 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

I have to ask but did you disconnect the battery during your electrical work. I'm think your might have blown a fuse or relay.
Old 02-16-16, 05:36 PM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

you should consider keeping the harness in the fender instead of lengthening it into the engine bay next time.

Originally Posted by SERIALNINE
While the fenders were off I decided it was the perfect time to tuck my wires. I managed to just unplug the harness on both sides and pull it up and through. Previously I would have just drill some holes and zip tie the harness up, but this time I made some small little tabs and tacked them in place.

I like this more then having the wires run on top of the strut towers in the engine bay
Old 02-16-16, 05:46 PM
Suprjdmbro
Rookie

Originally Posted by sha4000
I have to ask but did you disconnect the battery during your electrical work. I'm think your might have blown a fuse or relay.
Yes I disconnected everything when I was doing this..I've pulled literally every fuse and bench tested every relay, all good.
Old 02-16-16, 05:47 PM
Suprjdmbro
Rookie

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
you should consider keeping the harness in the fender instead of lengthening it into the engine bay next time.
I tried doing this first a few weeks ago but my harness would not go high enough...the side closest the firewall kept getting chewed by the tire right before it went into the inner fender
Old 02-16-16, 06:37 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprjdmbro
Does anyone have a wiring diagram of that harness so I could narrow it down by a few wires. I have allldata but that harness is not broken down anywhere.
Wiring diagrams are system specific, not what harness they run through. Lexus has diagrams of the harness locations and systems that may be attached to a particular harness, but figuring it all out would be a difficult task, to put it mildly.
Old 02-17-16, 12:07 AM
Suprjdmbro
Rookie

Alright so for the past few hours I've been redoing the harness. I got all new wire as I was previously using the harness from another ls400 to extend my harness. I soldered and heat shrieked all 58 wires again. Now, the steering wheel works and every other feature seems to work.. Except for the car starting. I started searching for immobilizer issues as I believe that's what I have here. There's no power going to the starter fuse at the interior fuse panel, regardless of key position but I THINK I can hear the starter spinning, just not engaging. So does this sound like an immobilizer trick? I've tried locking and unlocking the doors 4 times, leaving the key in acc for 6 minutes, trying different key position combos with the battery disconnected/connected. Are there any other ways to reset the immobilizer?
Old 02-17-16, 06:16 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Immobilizer would not let starter work at all, likely blocks the solenoid wire from the start terminal on the ignition switch.
Old 02-17-16, 12:09 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

this is incorrect, the immobilizer stopped using a starter interrupt somewhere during 97-99.

OP, verify voltage to the starter, i'm guessing blown fuse/fusible link.