LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

what year ls400 do i want?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-15, 12:56 PM
beer
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default what year ls400 do i want?

hi all,

new to this forum, but not jdm cars or forums. I had a Miata many years ago (https://www.flickr.com/photos/703306...n/photostream/) but got burnt out on it and sold it.

well, I guess you could say that the bug has bitten me once again. being a huge yota head, I have decided I want an ls400. I am just not sure what year. I really like to research and pick out a couple of year model cars before I just go out and buy any model year. Anyone else do this?

Here is what I want out of an ls400:
-I am going to dump it (see a pattern with the Miata ) and toss some wheels on it. probably some 18s for the first set, just to get the feet wet.
-I want to 5spd swap it, I cant stand autos. It wont be on the short list, but it WILL be getting swapped.

I am mainly concerned about the 5spd swap and the newer cars. I am also concerned about certain aftermarket part availability (lets say for example, bushings). Is one of the two ucf10/ucf11 easier to mod/more parts availability?

Ive noticed the 97-00 ls' have VVT. I do not want VVT, so that basically leaves me with 90-96..?

Any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
Old 12-04-15, 03:50 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

This one is easy, just find one that someone already did the mods too, so you don't ruin a factory stock one. Or if you really want to dig in a mod the crap out of something get a nice Ford or Pontiac and slam it as hard as you wish.
Old 12-04-15, 12:37 PM
beer
Rookie

sorry, maybe I should have prefaced: I do not buy pre-modded cars. its just something I don't do. I like to 'ruin' them myself with my own flare. I am not sure where Ford or Pontiac came into play here, but those would be some of the last cars I would buy.

I have done some more research and I think I have decided I want a pre-05 (read pre OBD2) ls400. I am not seeing as many suspension parts available for the 89-94s, but I know there is stuff out there..

Ive also been kicking around the idea of a 430.
Old 12-04-15, 02:39 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

The obd2 are easier to trouble shoot. Because with a good scan tool you can test the various sensors to see if they are working. In CA the emissions is likely a mess. So I would think the OBD2 would shine there. How do they test the pre obd2 ? Here its a dyno and tail pipe deal. Here the obd2 is just a plug into the port for the emission check and if no codes are set it passes.
Old 12-04-15, 02:44 PM
Nishy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dicer there likes to preserve LS400s... I understand where both of y'all are coming from though.

I'd say get a first gen if possible. Theres already a couple build threads on here where people have put 5 speeds in them so you have resources... I had a 89 LS slammed on its ***** on 18" Works and it was amazing... there are definitely not as many aftermarket parts for the first gen though. Get a ucf20 if you want lots of aftermarket support. This was mine on Largus coilovers. Exhaust was maybe 1/2" off the ground

Old 12-04-15, 03:12 PM
beer
Rookie

Originally Posted by dicer
The obd2 are easier to trouble shoot. Because with a good scan tool you can test the various sensors to see if they are working. In CA the emissions is likely a mess. So I would think the OBD2 would shine there. How do they test the pre obd2 ? Here its a dyno and tail pipe deal. Here the obd2 is just a plug into the port for the emission check and if no codes are set it passes.
you do have a point with trouble shooting, but its a double edged sword in CA. You are also correct, CA smog BLOWS.

with obd2, after the emissions test they plug into the obd port and verify that all of the systems are working. I think if they aren't all working, its an automatic fail/re test. They do a sniffer test as well; when I had my 00 Miata, it got sniffed.

with obd 1, there is just a visual check of the bay (vac lines and smog equip) and tailpipe sniffer to pass. I would rather have this. I had nightmares with the Miata and throwing faulty EGR codes that caused me to fail twice. Even if you don't have a check engine light on, they can see things you cant and can fail you for them (as it happened to me). I finally found a work around (switching a couple of vacuum lines), but it took a fair amount of research and the tech still caught it. Luckily he was sick of seeing me, he moved them back, and then passed it.

I currently have a 94 toya pickup and that thing is super easy to smog. I would rather stick with OBD 1 for the sake of making it easier on myself when it comes to smogging every year.
Old 12-04-15, 03:22 PM
beer
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nishy
Dicer there likes to preserve LS400s... I understand where both of y'all are coming from though.

I'd say get a first gen if possible. Theres already a couple build threads on here where people have put 5 speeds in them so you have resources... I had a 89 LS slammed on its ***** on 18" Works and it was amazing... there are definitely not as many aftermarket parts for the first gen though. Get a ucf20 if you want lots of aftermarket support. This was mine on Largus coilovers. Exhaust was maybe 1/2" off the ground
good to know about the aftermarket stuff, thank you. It seemed there was more of a selection for the ucf 11 stuff. I did notice that serial nine does have a kit for the ucf 10, so if I do get a first gen, that will probably be the route I go. if I go second gen, I will probably try to limit my selection to just a 95 (smog reasons as mentioned above).

I have read a couple of the 5 spd swap threads and it doesn't seem too bad. I honestly think the hardest part will be finding a r154 for under a grand (if that's still possible). They have shot up like crazy since I last looked for them.. my roommate fabs stuff on and off, so once I get the conversion kit, we can make the tranny mount, fit the clutch pedal, and then get the d shaft shorted.

btw, yours looked very nice. I just love how these cars look when they are on the ground.

thanks again everyone, I got more reading to do!
Old 12-04-15, 03:41 PM
AkumaUCF10
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey just one thing that I have run into lately is you might want to get a later model 92 and up. I get the pre OBD2 thing cus it does make emissions easier in some states. I have an earlier 92 model (I think the cutoff is april?) and finding suspension stuff for them is kind of a pain. If you get a later 92 and up finding suspension parts both new and used are gonna be simple as its the same **** from 92 1/2 through like 2000 I think
Old 12-04-15, 05:31 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

And remember any old car is that, be prepared to need an engine overhaul to sail through smog, and you can't fool with the exhaust system either.
Old 12-04-15, 11:38 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 245 Likes on 186 Posts

if you're gonna do a 5 speed swap you should throw a supra lsd diff in there so you're not stuck with the useless stock open diff. do as you'd like but i'd say not to go lower than a 1" drop, i'm still able to clear just about everything i need to, but if i were any lower i'd be a bit worried

also vvt-i is great
Old 12-05-15, 03:13 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Just one other thought. Remember every dollar you spend to modify an old LS400 is lost, you could save a bunch of work just flushing it down a toilet. It will never be recouped, others are just like you and don't want someones modified mess. In the end I guess its still better than Pick n pull getting one they just over charge for the parts and crush the rest of the good parts. These cars are disappearing very fast, as well as parts for them. I guess I really need to stop worrying about it.
Old 12-05-15, 06:42 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Instead of "slamming" a nice car I would recommend wearing a clown suit. Much cheaper.
Old 12-07-15, 02:03 PM
beer
Rookie

Originally Posted by dicer
And remember any old car is that, be prepared to need an engine overhaul to sail through smog, and you can't fool with the exhaust system either.
I am aiming for one that already has the timing belt and water pump done. I want a nice, clean ls400.

As for the smog, I know. Its hard, but its what you have to put up with living in CA...
Old 12-07-15, 02:04 PM
beer
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stroock639
if you're gonna do a 5 speed swap you should throw a supra lsd diff in there so you're not stuck with the useless stock open diff. do as you'd like but i'd say not to go lower than a 1" drop, i'm still able to clear just about everything i need to, but if i were any lower i'd be a bit worried

also vvt-i is great
supra diff is the plan as well. as for the drop, why not? if I buy an ls400, I plan on putting it in the weeds. sorry, that is just how I like these cars!!
Old 12-07-15, 02:05 PM
beer
Rookie

Originally Posted by tradosauru
Instead of "slamming" a nice car I would recommend wearing a clown suit. Much cheaper.
wow, you are such a help. I will head to the clown suit shop right after I am done slamming it.

I think I have figured it out. I think I want a 95. big brakes, still an obd 1 car; of course that is the model year I see the least of.. gotta keep looking.

Quick Reply: what year ls400 do i want?