LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ls400 2000 belts ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-15, 10:06 AM
akswagga
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ls400 2000 belts ??

Hello everyone
im looking for the part number also im confused about all these belts
timing belt accessory drive belt, V belt, or serpentine belt what are the difference ? i need to get a belts but how do i know which is which lol

Old 08-04-15, 11:20 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

The timing belt is different, but other than that one, those are all different names for the same thing.

Drive belt = accessory belt = alternator belt = "A" (for alternator or accessory) belt = serpentine belt

On my '91, and I'll assume yours too, the drive belt also drives the AC compressor and the Power Steering pump. Some cars have separate belts for those items. On our cars, the water pump is driven by the timing belt, but that is different from most cars where the drive belt also runs the water pump.

What matters on getting the right drive belt:

length - the tensioner has some give, so there is some tolerance in there that will also allow for stretch as it gets older or warms up. Here it looks like your options range around 88" +/- 3/8" or so. It would be good to find out what the Lexus belt spec is if you're going aftermarket, but I expect all of those will fit.

#of ribs/V's/grooves - the pulleys have V-shaped channels to keep it in place, so of course the number has to match. Here, the answer appears to be 6. This also factors into the width.

quality - better is better, of course. But unlike a timing belt, the drive belt is very easy to inspect and replace, so the risk of using lower quality may be OK.

When installing, it is surprisingly common for people to mis-route the belt through all the pulleys. There should be a sticker in the engine bay (maybe on the underside of the hood) showing the correct routing, in case it is not obvious. Also, if you route it and find you're like 8 inches too short or too long, you routed it wrong. You should need to deflect the tensioner to get it over the last pulley when re-installing. You'll find that one of the pulleys makes the most sense as the last one to fit the belt over when re-installing.

Last edited by oldskewel; 08-04-15 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-04-15, 11:46 AM
timmy0tool

Received 427 Likes on 381 Posts

Drive belt = accessory belt = alternator belt = "A" (for alternator or accessory) belt = serpentine belt

^ correct!

there are only two belts on the motor, timing belt and serpentine belt. oldskewel pretty much nailed it!
Old 08-04-15, 11:54 AM
akswagga
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oldskewel
The timing belt is different, but other than that one, those are all different names for the same thing.

On my '91, and I'll assume yours too, the drive belt also drives the AC compressor and the Power Steering pump. Some cars have separate belts for those items. On our cars, the water pump is driven by the timing belt, but that is different from most cars where the drive belt also runs the water pump.

What matters on getting the right drive belt:

length - the tensioner has some give, so there is some tolerance in there that will also allow for stretch as it gets older or warms up. Here it looks like your options range around 88" +/- 3/8" or so. It would be good to find out what the Lexus belt spec is if you're going aftermarket, but I expect all of those will fit.

#of ribs/V's/grooves - the pulleys have V-shaped channels to keep it in place, so of course the number has to match. Here, the answer appears to be 6. This also factors into the width.

quality - better is better, of course. But unlike a timing belt, the drive belt is very easy to inspect and replace, so the risk of using lower quality may be OK.

When installing, it is surprisingly common for people to mis-route the belt through all the pulleys. There should be a sticker in the engine bay (maybe on the underside of the hood) showing the correct routing, in case it is not obvious. Also, if you route it and find you're like 8 inches too short or too long, you routed it wrong. You should need to deflect the tensioner to get it over the last pulley when re-installing. You'll find that one of the pulleys makes the most sense as the last one to fit the belt over when re-installing.
thank you brother for this useful information really i appreciate it
so i need accessory and a Serpentine Belt ? correct ??
and if so whats the difference between these two in the photo
part number is

6PK2223
6PK2238

Originally Posted by timmy0tool

^ correct!

there are only two belts on the motor, timing belt and serpentine belt. oldskewel pretty much nailed it!
the easy things are the hard things for me always
any of the belts in that site would work just fine then? yes
Old 08-04-15, 04:06 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, I expect every belt on that screen shot _should_ work. They are all trying to be the same thing, but they are not identical.

It looks like the numbering system 6PK#### has 6 meaning the number of ribs (v's), PK I think defines the shape and size of each rib, then the #### is the effective length in mm. So of the two choices you gave, one is 2223 mm long, and the other is 2238. 15mm difference, or about 5/8 inch. I expect either would work, but the long one might be at the long end of what will fit, and the short one will be at the short end of the range.

Right in the middle might be best, assuming the RockAuto algorithm for showing what fits is accurate. That puts you around 2230, which also happens to be the first one on the list, and the cheapest. Amazon sells it for $20.85 (
Amazon.com: Bando 6PK2230 OEM Quality Serpentine Belt: Automotive Amazon.com: Bando 6PK2230 OEM Quality Serpentine Belt: Automotive
), so it's probably good. I'd get that one.
The following users liked this post:
jbtvt (02-28-24)
Old 08-04-15, 04:08 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by akswagga
so i need accessory and a Serpentine Belt ? correct ??
No, you just need one belt, which may be called the "accessory belt" or the "serpentine belt" or the "drive belt" ...
Old 08-06-15, 05:32 AM
akswagga
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oldskewel
No, you just need one belt, which may be called the "accessory belt" or the "serpentine belt" or the "drive belt" ...
is there a way i could identify the belt while its on the car cause i checked the belt on the car it has the same markings as this one

DAYCO 5060878 POLY RIB®; Effective Length 87.79 / Top Width .82 / No of Ribs 6 / Thickness 0.169

blue prints
my belt is fine but why i want to change cause im going put a higher output ALT a 240A SINGER ALT
Old 08-06-15, 07:43 AM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

is there a way i could identify the belt while its on the car cause i checked the belt on the car it has the same markings as this one

DAYCO 5060878 POLY RIB®; Effective Length 87.79 / Top Width .82 / No of Ribs 6 / Thickness 0.169

blue prints
my belt is fine but why i want to change cause im going put a higher output ALT a 240A SINGER ALT
It's the serpentine belt. Just get the Bando at the top of your list for $6. Why pay more?
Old 08-06-15, 08:34 AM
akswagga
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aptoslexus
It's the serpentine belt. Just get the Bando at the top of your list for $6. Why pay more?
i dont like to get cheap stuff
Old 08-06-15, 04:46 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

The price is cheap, but the belt isn't. I've got a Bando on my 98. These belts are good for 100,000 miles. But if it makes you feel better, pay more for another belt.

What's the first company on that list?
Bando is a development and manufacturing partner of following automotive groups and brands all over the world.
TOYOTA
NISSAN
HONDA
MITSUBISHI MOTORS
SUBARU
MAZDA
SUZUKI
DAIHATSU
HINO
NISSAN DIESEL
VW AG
GENERAL MOTORS
SMART
BMW
CITROEN
PEUGOT
HYUNDAI
KIA MOTORS

Last edited by aptoslexus; 08-06-15 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-06-15, 05:30 PM
Yamae
Forum Moderator

Received 898 Likes on 679 Posts

Bando is one of the top brands in Japan. They have good reputations here.
Old 08-07-15, 02:17 PM
akswagga
Driver School Candidate

cause lastime my buddy got a cheap belt after a few months it had a squealing noise

so i checked this dayco belt https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...nid=361&jpid=2

and this bando
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...nid=361&jpid=0

dayco belt has help eliminate noisy belt conditions
bando not mention or are they the same ?

cause i already have noise from the brakes ( rotor required )

thanks for hellping a newbie out
Old 08-07-15, 06:32 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Squealing is caused by contaminated pulleys or misaligned pulleys. It's not the belt. I have no idea if Dayco's design helps prevent squealing on worn hardware. I'd rather fix the hardware than hope a fancy belt helps me forget that my hardware is failing.
Old 08-08-15, 02:51 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Yeah I just had to change the tensioner which made the belt squeal like crazy.