LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Swaying Side to Side?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-03, 03:00 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Swaying Side to Side?

I have had this car for 2 days and took it on the interstate today and it seems to sway from side to side a little? Is that normal on a 93 LS 400 or is something going on? I am used to my 99 ES and it is tight. In my 93 LS it seems like the wind was blowing me all over the road but it's not a Windy Day
Old 02-22-03, 03:57 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Might wanna check the tires and wheel alignment...if that's not the case...then it could be the bushings.

Last edited by BR1AN; 02-23-03 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-11-03, 02:00 PM
leosls400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It can also be the type of tire on the car. When i first got my LS400, it had Michelin tires which were worn. I drove it on the freeway with no swaying. After replacing with Continentals, I noticed a swaying motion. I went back to the tire store and told me that it was because of the way the Continetal tires follow the grooves on the road. I then told him that the Michelins did not do that, and he replied by saying that the Michelin was a better built performance tire which cost way more than Continentals.
Old 03-17-03, 08:54 PM
johnw
Driver School Candidate

Default drifting

I've got a '95 LS 400 and I noticed the same thing, I took it to Lexus, they checked it out and could'nt find anything. I only notice it on the freeway at around 75 mph. on up. When I first bought it there were a set of high performance tires on it, on my first freeway run it kept feeling like I was being broadsided with high winds except the wind was only blowing about 5 mph.
The tires were also noisy so I went to a Michelin dealer who said the Symetry model was the quietest they had. He was right about the noise, it cut it by about 70% but the swaying problem still exists, noy as bad but it's still there. It does'nt fell dangerous, just a little unnerving. If you ever get an answer to the problem, please post it.

Godd luck,

johnw.
Old 03-17-03, 09:12 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

My dealer also said nothing was abnormal. Did notice a bushing that was bad on the passenger front but he said that wouldn't cause swaying. It would just ride rough especially when I hit bumps or holes. Really strange though. Almost side swipped a disel next to me today going about 80mph.

I just had the power steering pump replaced, new tires and alignment. Still have the same problem.

If you get a chance ask you dealer to check out the bushings on the front. If they are bad then maybe one of us can get it fixed and let the other know if that fixes the problem, since somebody else has already suggested the bushing we may be on to something. I have quickley learned the dealership doesn't know everything.

Last edited by spxChrome; 03-17-03 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-18-03, 06:06 AM
mlevk
Driver

I changed over from MXV4 to Dunlop SP4000 "H"
and yes the tires do "squirm" alittle on the sweeps
Straight highway, they are NOT as stable as the MXV4
but don't SWAY side to side ! They are 2 TOTALLY diff.
tires but the SP4000 were too good a deal to pass up
when I was tight for cash. $46 ea vs $100 ea !
Since I rarely go over 80 mph , I went with the H rated tire.
Meaning the side wall if not as stiff as the V and stability is
sacrificed.

One of the biggest problem for EXOTIC cars like Ferrari and Lambo
is the tire width and design. At 200 mph they tend to follow the irregularites
on public roads , as they effect the car ALOT quicker at those speeds.

What tires do you have spxChrome ? You can find info on how
people rated them on the TireRack web site.
Old 03-18-03, 05:39 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Dunlap tires 400 Treadwear, A,A,A H-Rated. $86 a piece. The guy at the tire store said they were about middle of the line.
Old 03-18-03, 07:19 PM
azari
Intermediate

no swaying here whatsoever. The car feels like it's on rails or something (first gen LS).
Old 03-21-03, 04:43 PM
johnw
Driver School Candidate

Default swaying on freeway

I was just wondering how many of us that feel the swaying have air suspension. I don't have it myself so I was thinking that maybe air suspension is the reason more people don't notice it ?

johnw
Old 03-21-03, 06:24 PM
rajah996
Driver

Hey guys,
I also feel the swaying side to side. It is most noticable when I am at higher
speeds (70+ mph) which is about 99% of the time for me . Anyways, I do
not have the adjustable suspention, and I am on my third set of Pirelli P6000's.
I just put the third set on two weeks ago, and the swaying is the same as when
I had the worn out tires on. If anyone can find a solution, please tell me, because
I am ready to get another car with a stiffer steering feel if I can not fix it.
Thanks.
-R
Old 03-21-03, 08:38 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

Question

Front control arm bushings perhaps? Anyone here replace them and notice the problem clearing up or being less severe? I have heard the control arm bushings have tendency to go eventually. I have the swaying too from time to time, but it isn't always there, and I can't really pinpoint what makes it come and go.

Just a thought

GA400

Last edited by GA400; 03-21-03 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-26-03, 04:14 AM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

Cool

I have air suspension and when I have my stock 15" or 16" with snow tires I have no problem. During the spring and summer I put my 18" on it sticks to the road or groves in the road. Yeah the ride is kind of bumpy too but with the low profiles thats whats going to happen (bumpy).

I dont think its a problem with your car its just what kind of tires and wheel size you have.
Old 03-26-03, 09:02 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Unhappy

Ok guys hers my 2 cents.

My car had the swaying when I first got it. The rotated my tires and wheel balance as part of my 25k mile service. They swaying slowly went away and I forgot about it. Actually the car drove straight and smooth as an arrow. After 10k miles of not rotating my tires I notice that the outside edges of the tires were warring down. Just this Monday I put my car in for my 35k service and once again they rotated and balanced my tires. We also did an alignment.

Well I have been so disgusted this week with the driving characteristics of my car. Now it is swaying like a mad man. I am going back in for service tomorrow because they did not do something right originally and was about to cut off my service managers head for giving me a car that drives this bad. But not reading this thread I think it may be an inherent problem with our cars. My front tires are in great shape and maybe they are just being more sensitive to the road defects. I have Bridgestone Turanzas V series original OEM tires.

I must say my car drove smooth as silk and tracked straight before the tire rotation. Now is swinging and swaying. This morning I hit the same pot hole I hit every morning ( I always try to avoid it but never do) yet this time the car jerked to the left. It never use to do that??

I will mention this to my service manager and see what he says. He always goes to great lengths to ensure I am fully satisfied so lets see what he says. But honestly I think he may not be able to find something technically wrong....

Jerry
Old 03-26-03, 09:37 AM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LS is already boaty in nature, thus it will have alot of body roll. Perhaps your shocks are worn out causing you to you bounce up and down a tad bit at high speeds and then making your car sway a bit from side to side. One solution is getting coilover suspension and lowering it with bigger rims like I did and the car can really handle now, but this type of stuff is not for most people. Although you live in NY and I do not think you can drive you car this low.
Attached Thumbnails Swaying Side to Side?-mvc-104f.jpg  

Last edited by LOTC; 03-26-03 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-26-03, 03:41 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Swaying? Never really felt anything of that nature, I do have air suspension though!

Quick Reply: Swaying Side to Side?