LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

PLEASE HELP 90 LS400 stalling

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-13, 04:45 PM
sam6918
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry PLEASE HELP 90 LS400 stalling

Hello and thank you for reading...

I had a previous problem with my LS400, It was not starting due to no spark. Well i FINALLY got that fixed and it turned out to be my crank poss sensor. After the repair my previous PROBLEM started again. The car would shut off when i come to a stop unless i keep my foot on the gas pedal. If i remove my Foot, the RPM would go down to ONE notch above the ZERO then stall. keep in mind this only happens after the car has been running for over a hour. Today i went to start the car it cranked but would not start. I had the Battery, Alternator, and Starter checked all was good. But when the car started giving me the problem of stalling when i come to a stop i drove it back to Auto Zone and had all three checked again. They said i had a BAD Alternator. (does not make since because the car starts everyday if the alternator was bad i would have to jump it every time i start it and the car would not have gotten me far) its been 2 weeks since they said i had a bad Alternator yet the car still started everyday and has power (expect for today)
Old 12-17-13, 05:22 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

normally on your year of LS400, when you have problems stalling after an extended period of running, the most likely two suspects, in order of likelihood are:

Idle Speed Control Valve (bearings often go bad)

if the bearings are indeed bad, I can point you to where to get a good deal on the real OEM Japanese bearings

failing ECU capacitors
Old 12-17-13, 06:27 PM
sam6918
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
normally on your year of LS400, when you have problems stalling after an extended period of running, the most likely two suspects, in order of likelihood are:

Idle Speed Control Valve (bearings often go bad)

if the bearings are indeed bad, I can point you to where to get a good deal on the real OEM Japanese bearings

failing ECU capacitors
how do i test the idle speed and how do i test to see if the ECU is failing? Thank you
Old 12-17-13, 06:32 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

follow that link above for Idle Speed Control Valve test

for ECU capacitors, you can do a visual inspection and/or do Yamae's ECU ripple test
Old 12-17-13, 07:00 PM
Yamae

Received 855 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by sam6918
I had a previous problem with my LS400, It was not starting due to no spark. Well i FINALLY got that fixed and it turned out to be my crank poss sensor. After the repair my previous PROBLEM started again.
Did you use a good genuine crank position sensor after cleaning the other side which is the rotating tooth side?
I have experienced several similar problems that happen after engines were fully warmed up. Many of those were caused by the failed or non genuine crank position sensors. As I observe the waveform of the them using an oscilloscope, some of them became weaker and others had unusual waveforms when temperature became higher. Position sensors usually use a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_effect_sensor or a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetometer and a small piece of magnet is in it. These have a thermal point called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curie_temperaturehtml and the functionality is quite temperature related. Genuine sensors are quite reliable but some of aftermarket ones are not always so. Also sensors do not work well when the other side is clogged especially with the small metal particles.

I suggest you to check and compare the waveform when engine is not warm and warm enough.
Old 12-17-13, 07:25 PM
sam6918
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
follow that link above for Idle Speed Control Valve test

for ECU capacitors, you can do a visual inspection and/or do Yamae's ECU ripple test
Thank You very much i will check them tomorrow as it is dark outside now and very cold here in Michigan. I will let you know what i find.
Old 12-17-13, 07:30 PM
sam6918
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yamae
Did you use a good genuine crank position sensor after cleaning the other side which is the rotating tooth side?
I have experienced several similar problems that happen after engines were fully warmed up. Many of those were caused by the failed or non genuine crank position sensors. As I observe the waveform of the them using an oscilloscope, some of them became weaker and others had unusual waveforms when temperature became higher. Position sensors usually use a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_effect_sensor or a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetometer and a small piece of magnet is in it. These have a thermal point called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curie_temperaturehtml and the functionality is quite temperature related. Genuine sensors are quite reliable but some of aftermarket ones are not always so. Also sensors do not work well when the other side is clogged especially with the small metal particles.

I suggest you to check and compare the waveform when engine is not warm and warm enough.
Thank you very much. I am gonna do Further testing on it tomorrow I will first check what LSCOWBOYLS told me to check and if that is not the problem i will return the car to the repair shop where they had changed the sensor and i will have them test the waveform as the sensor/labor are still under warranty. I will Post a reply to let when the problem is fixed and note what the problem was
Old 12-17-13, 08:42 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I will first check what LSCOWBOYLS told me to check and if that is not the problem i will return the car to the repair shop where they had changed the sensor and i will have them test the waveform as the sensor/labor are still under warranty. I will Post a reply to let when the problem is fixed and note what the problem was
actually check what Yamae recommended first, he is the supreme LS400 guru!