LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1993 Lexus LS400 jerking problem

Old 08-20-13, 08:41 AM
LexusAl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile 1993 Lexus LS400 jerking problem

Hi,I am new to the Lexus forum.I recently bought a 1993 Lexus LS400 Feb. 27 2013 in Buford,Ga.The salesman told me the car was running great.That was far from the truth.It had almost 155K miles on it,not bad for a '93 model.My brother went with me to pick it up.When we got to Byron,Ga. where my brother lives,the car had used about 2 quarts of oil and another quart to drive it home.
The following week,I took the car to a repair shop in Centerville,Ga. where the Mechanic inspected it.They found a worn out front seal,leaking valve cover gaskets,worn out plugs and wires,bad rack and pinion,bad IACV,bad throttle body,fumes leaking into the interior,leaking exhaust gaskets,bad EGR/02 sensor crossover pipe,bad ECU and needless to say,the car running rough and jerking.Well,it took me 6 months to get this LS to running decent.I have been through more than a bad situation with this car.It took over $3,800.00 in labor and parts to fix it.I had a new OEM EGR crossover pipe installed and a new OEM IACV valve put in by my brother.
All the other parts were used but in great shape from Ebay.A few weeks ago,the instrument cluster blacked out so I sent it to a repairman in Md. and now it's like new again at a cost of $153.00.This past Saturday,the car was still running a little rough so I tweaked the TPS just a hair and it made all the difference in the world.Now the car is running very smooth.I also adjusted the cruise control slightly and it's working smoothly.It also got a new Lexus timing belt and water pump.Last week,it got a new fuel filter,tranny filter and type 4 fluid.
Needless to say,a previous owner neglected this car to no end and should be kicked in the rear end for it.I also bought a good used Temperature control unit and radio w/ CD to put on the column.There were a few good things about the car when I bought it.Almost new Michelin tires,new Interstate battery,radio antenna still working and the remote on the key still works as it should.The body is in very good condition for a '93 model.It is a light gold color(4K7).I had to put new seat covers on the front seats since the leather is very worn but they still sit good.The back seats aren't bad.The aftermarket Kenwood radio has got to go though.I found an original Lexus/Pioneer radio on Ebay.I just hope that the harnesses haven't been damaged.
I've done so much to this car in the last 6 months that I may be leaving something out.I know I've gotten a great deal overall on the repair bills.The dealerships would have charged 3 times more than what I've paid in repairs,that's for sure.It helps a bunch to have good friends to help me out.
I also have a 1995 LS400 that I've owned since 1998 and still driving it.The only serious thing that I've had to do to it is replace the power steering unit.I will probably have to replace the rack in it as a seal is leaking on the passenger side.I'll find a good used one on Ebay soon I hope.It has over 203K miles on it.I've never kept a car for 15 years.But this '95 has been the best I've ever owned.It really took some careful adjusting on the TPS to get the '93 to run smooth again.I'm hoping I can get the MPG's back to at least 25 mpg hiway.Also,my tach gauge is about 300 rpm's to low.I've contacted the repairman about this and also the speedometer needle still sticking.He should fix these with the lifetime warranty.Well,that's about it for my first post.Any replies are welcome.Glad to be a member of the Lexus forum.
Old 08-25-13, 07:23 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus

Glad to hear you've resolved most of your issues with your 93' and that it's running much more smoothly now
Old 08-25-13, 07:28 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

all of that and no mention of the ecm needing to be repaired..imagine that. although im surprised ur 95 hasn't had that problem
Old 08-25-13, 09:07 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by python
all of that and no mention of the ecm needing to be repaired..imagine that. although im surprised ur 95 hasn't had that problem
yes, failing ECU caps is essentially at epidemic levels on both '93 and '95 Lexus models, luckily we have this identified and figured out!

I know on some cars with this issue, the owners did not solve the cause and it nearly took them all off of the road before we figured it out, why you almost never see 80's Nissan 300ZX or 90's DSM 3000GT on the road these days, for example.

Also,my tach gauge is about 300 rpm's to low.I've contacted the repairman about this and also the speedometer needle still sticking.
capacitors failing in either the main circuit board of the cluster, or else in the ECU can cause tach and speedo issues

how do you know the tach is 300 rpm off?

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 08-25-13 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-26-13, 09:40 AM
LexusAl
Driver School Candidate

The actual rpm's was checked on a computer by one of the best mechanics in Ga. and compared to what the tach was reading.Mike Coleman in Centerville,Ga. is about the best mechanic you can get,period.He knows his stuff.The computer diagnostic check revealed 650 rpm's but the tach showed 300 rpm's.The cluster was sent to autoexpresstech,a repairman and restore man on Ebay last month.
He has repaired and restored over 2,500 clusters so he should know what he's doing.Only when I got it back,it was showing the low rpm's and the speedometer needle still, sticking.I e-mailed him and he said to send it back and he'd check it and do his best to fix the issues.The '93 has almost 160K miles on it.
As for the ECU(ECM),I got a rebuilt just like factory ECU on Ebay @ $285.00 and so I know it's good.It also got the brand new OEM IACV @ $600.00.The original ECU part# was 89661-50140.I told them to send me part#89661-51041 so they did.Butler Lexus in Macon,Ga. said the 50141 is compatible with the 50140 and would work just as good.As I stated earlier,it took patience and just the right touch to get the throttle position sensor in just the right spot for the engine to run smooth.This week,I will take the car back to my mechanic and check it again.
The mechanic also said my new plugs with about 2,000 miles on them were white instead of light brown.That's how he found the clogged fuel filter.The engine was not getting enough fuel and more air than fuel.Also,Lowe Toyota in Warner Robins,Ga. said my fuel pressure was perfect at 38-44 lbs of pressure.On my 1995 LS400,I've been very fortunate not to have had any serious problems over the 15 years I've owned it.
I replaced the power steering pump several months ago.Now,the rack&pinion has a bad seal on the passenger side that will need to be replaced.But that's been about the only problems I've had except for the usual timing belt/water pump change.That was done in 2006.The '95 still runs and drives just as good as the day I bought it in 1998.It now has over 203K miles on it.I've put about 160K miles on it since I bought it.I couldn't ask for a better car.I've really shelled out some cabbage on the '93 since Feb. 27th,2013.But hopefully,the nightmare is over.
Old 08-26-13, 09:59 AM
LexusAl
Driver School Candidate

BTW,my mechanic,Mike Coleman told me that the best fuel injector cleaner to use is Seafoam injector cleaner.The next best is Lucas oil injector cleaner.So Seafoam is what I'm now using periodically.He also said you can pour some into the PCV valve and let it run down into the hose.Thought this tip will help other Lexus owners that may not know about Seafoam fuel injector cleaner yet.
Old 08-26-13, 10:30 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I got a rebuilt just like factory ECU on Ebay @ $285.00 and so I know it's good.
well I have opened up hundreds of "rebuilt" ECU's from ebay and have yet to find any that had the correct rare low-ESR Japanese capacitors utilized and soldered in nicely.

so saying that you're all good because you have a rebuilt ECU from ebay is kind of like telling your girl that if you do it standing up, she can't get pregnant!
Old 08-26-13, 10:30 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

OK... Lexus Al.... you're opening a whole new can of worms with the seafoam recommendation... let's just say it's kind of like deodorant... let people use what they want and are happy with... just as long as they use it... lol...
Congrats on the car and the successful re-incarnation of a working Lexus... they certainly are great cars and glad you've found a good one.
Just a tip... as you're new... try not to discount the free advice you get on the forum... we have tons of experience... if you've not taken you're ECU apart and expected it and all the capacitors... and if they have not been replaced...then they will eventually fail. Just a known fact based on the parts used during they time they were built.
And the best lesson here is to get a used car thoroughly checked out before you lay out the cash..or you might be having to lay out a bunch more cash...
Sounds like you've got some good connections and good mechanics...
Hope the 93 holds up as well as the 95...
Old 08-29-13, 05:07 PM
LexusAl
Driver School Candidate

Hi,does any one know if the LCD time display on the temp. control unit is suppose to remain on after the engine is shut off on the '93 LS400?The temp display shuts off when not running.So I was thinking the time should also.My brother and I was trying to replace the the aftermarket Kenwood and put a factory radio?CD back in.That is where we found a hang up.One plug was cut and spliced by a previous owner.The other plugs are ok. Some splices will have to be used.And the speaker wire will probably have to be traced to see which speakers they are connected to.Any advice is appreciated.
As far as the Seafoam is concerned,I was only trying to be helpful and had no intention of trying to force a certain brand of fuel injector cleaner on anyone.Anyone can use whatever brand they want.It don't matter to me.I'm only saying it's working great for me.Like the old saying,"different strokes".Also,I'm not trying to make it sound like I'm bragging about my accomplishments on the car or what I bought for it.I've just had a rough time over the last 6 months and got pretty well frustrated with it.But patience is the most important thing to have during a time like this.I also had plenty of patience in Vietnam and took one day at a time and prayed everyday for my safe return and the safe return of all of us.Unfortunately,over 58K didn't make it back.I was honored to visit the WALL in Washington twice in 1985/86.That's when I found out one name was not on that wall.A buddy of mine in my old neighborhood.But when I got done with a Congressman in Jacksonville,Fl.,it got included.I was so glad to help that family of my buddy that was killed over there.And I thanked the late Congressman,C
Old 08-29-13, 05:57 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Seafoam certainly won't hurt anything, whether it gives tangible benefits or not is an open question.

Techron, and surprisingly, Marvel Mystery Oil, get more recommendations on the hard-core Internet forums that I respect than anything else.

I like to slurp a whole can of Seafoam into the brake booster line and then smoke bomb the pesky neighbor!

I have seen some instances where Seafoam did seem to have some beneficial effects, so not ready to throw it out as snake oil!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 08-29-13 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-29-13, 07:08 PM
LexusAl
Driver School Candidate

I also heard that Lucas oil fuel injector cleaner is good to use.Although I haven't tried it yet.My '95 LS 400 still has the same ECU in it after 15 years.Lexus replaced the original ECU just after I got it with 43K miles on it still under warranty in 1998.The only problem right now is the passenger side rack & pinion boot has just started leaking and will have to get it taken care of soon.I presume a leaking seal.But hey,I won't complain with the 203K miles on it.The car will have to be repainted in a year or two.It started fading and the body man did a sorry job painting it 4 years ago and the clear coat and paint is pealing right off.The next time,I'll get some recommendations and price comparisons.A few body shops are a big let down.I'll be more careful next time.I like the Moonstone color.One more thing on the '95.The tilt feature on the steering wheel hasn't worked in a long time.But I found another tilt motor for it along with the telescopic motor.I'll get those installed shortly and see how it comes out.And of course,another temp. control unit for it as the original blacked out just like on the '93.My replacement is ready to go.
Old 08-29-13, 07:20 PM
LexusAl
Driver School Candidate

I've used some Chevron fuel injector cleaner before with good results.And probably somewhat less costs than Seafoam or Lucas oil cleaner.I used to get the Chevron at only one parts store.That's the only one I could find it at several years ago.In my much younger days,it was a classic (1968/72/74)Dodge Charger I used to love to drive.But they are through the roof today and would not buy one period for what they're asking.I just saw one auction end with no buyer for a 'pale yellow 74 Charger and they were asking $15,950 for it.It may have been worth it.But it had bench seats and a small block 318 and auto on the column.Parts for the classics are through the roof from Year One and other sources like Summit.But I sure enjoyed the Chargers I used to have.But today,I'd take a Lexus over a Charger any day.
Old 08-29-13, 07:45 PM
LexusAl
Driver School Candidate

I'm surely hoping I can get the problems with the wiring and harnesses corrected to reinstall a factory radio/CD in the '93 LS.My brother suggested I take it to Ken's stereo junction in Warner Robins,Ga.They have plenty of experience with car audio as that's all they do.I don't know why the previous owner installed the Kenwood.But I prefer original factory over aftermarket.I want to keep it as original as I can.Plus I like the Pioneer much better with the separate bass/treble/fader controls and the mid control ****.I was very lucky to find an original at a small fraction of the dealer cost.And even luckier to find a volume **** for it as it didn't have one when I got it.A good used one is very hard to find.Lexus reminds me of a Pioneer SX-1980 stereo receiver.They work perfect until something goes wrong.And when a problem arises, they are very unforgiving until the right man works on it that knows what he's doing.The one weak spot on that receiver is the power supply board caps,sorta like the ECU on the Lexus.But the SX1980 is one heck of a monster receiver with 270 WPC.And a back breaker at 78 lbs.
One more thing,according to the NADA book for the '95/'96 model LS400's,those were the lightest 400's made as they are 200 lbs. lighter than all others of the 90's and early 2000's.I've always wondered just where could they trim 200 lbs off the car compared to the others.Hope this doesn't open up another can of worms.
Old 08-29-13, 08:05 PM
Carlamari
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WoW...I think I have your sister car...all you have listed is what I'm going threw right now. I feel for you:-) I call my little SC400...my little Money Cow LOL I will get it all redone...struts~rack opinion~both pressure hoses~transmission~oil change~radiator flush & a lot of cash...
Old 08-29-13, 08:06 PM
LexusAl
Driver School Candidate

I have one more problem to correct.After we got the temperature control unit replaced,my turn signals quit working on the '93.Any ideas as to why?The Kenwood harness plug for the radio is still unhooked along with the center vent plug.But why would the turn signals quit working?Maybe just another jinx?Murphy's law has really kicked the crap out of me and my wallet on this one.But on the brighter side,the car doesn't do the jerk any more and rides and runs smooth as silk.Thanks for the help,much appreciated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1993 Lexus LS400 jerking problem