LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Long Time Lurker Finally Became Owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-13, 06:04 PM
j5ive
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Time Lurker Finally Became Owner

hi all,

My join date was back in 2005, and was originally looking for an SC. However, things happen, life changes, etc... but I finally just pick up a 96 LS400. I was actually just looking for a 2nd car for my wife to commute to work, something like a used Camry, but this was too good to pass up. The LS I picked up had only 2 owners and 120,000KMs!!

I've already found very useful help on this forum, and replaced my worn hood struts, replaced the bulb in the shifter gate, as well as athe headlight washer button light using the Radio Shack bulb. I also replaced my DOA Nak CD Changer with one from a local wrecker. I've also just ordered an OEM timimg belt kit since it looks like the original belt is still on there (leaving this to the pros) and will be changing all fluids at the same time.

Now I'm trying to track down the dreaded front suspension clunk. I've posted my symptoms on the big Clunk thread, and hopefully someone will be able to guide me in the right direction.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 07-09-13, 06:51 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrat! Post some pics
Old 07-09-13, 08:24 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SynicalVip
Congrat! Post some pics
^^^^ THIS
Old 07-10-13, 01:33 AM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by j5ive
Now I'm trying to track down the dreaded front suspension clunk. I've posted my symptoms on the big Clunk thread, and hopefully someone will be able to guide me in the right direction.

Thanks for all your help.
Congrats on the LS!

Now, I don't have an LS however I had a similar issue, where I would hear loud metallic clunking sounds whenever I drive over a bumpy road. It turns out it's just whenever I'm wearing shorts, my massive ***** of steel hang too low and occasionally drops onto the floor as I'm driving. Should you also own a pair of low-hanging massive ***** of steel, perhaps visually check downwards next time when driving to ascertain whether those are the culprits to your problem. If they are, there are various methods to tether away those bad boys so that they don't clunk. I've tried holding them up with nautical-grade nylon rope and tying the top to my neck. However it just ended up giving me a sore neck after a while because of the weight. I've also tried tying it up to the sunshade, however the rope ends up blocking your line of sight and if it gets sunny and I lower my shade, it lowers the rope and defeats the solution of holding up my massive ***** of steel. I've tried tying them up to the door handle, but if I get careless or am in a rush and open the door without untethering my massive ***** of steel, well... it hurts like a gaddanamajig and I can attest to that. The method that seems to be working is using a pair of industrial-strength chain hooks to tie each one of my massive ball of steel onto the insides of my thighs. While I'm aware it is generally not accepted convention to separate your massive ***** of steel, however consider that it is only temporary while in the act of driving your vehicle. And a short step of removing the chain hooks after reaching your destination ensures your massive ***** of steel are reunited. I've been doing this for quite a while now and now I am clunk-free.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-10-13, 04:56 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Not sure about the above post...
But welcome to the club and hope your LS gives you years and miles of comfortable driving.
I'm sure your wife is happy with your purchase...absolutely no comparison to a Camry...
Old 07-10-13, 11:00 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by IceIridium
Congrats on the LS!

Now, I don't have an LS however I had a similar issue, where I would hear loud metallic clunking sounds whenever I drive over a bumpy road. It turns out it's just whenever I'm wearing shorts, my massive ***** of steel hang too low and occasionally drops onto the floor as I'm driving. Should you also own a pair of low-hanging massive ***** of steel, perhaps visually check downwards next time when driving to ascertain whether those are the culprits to your problem. If they are, there are various methods to tether away those bad boys so that they don't clunk. I've tried holding them up with nautical-grade nylon rope and tying the top to my neck. However it just ended up giving me a sore neck after a while because of the weight. I've also tried tying it up to the sunshade, however the rope ends up blocking your line of sight and if it gets sunny and I lower my shade, it lowers the rope and defeats the solution of holding up my massive ***** of steel. I've tried tying them up to the door handle, but if I get careless or am in a rush and open the door without untethering my massive ***** of steel, well... it hurts like a gaddanamajig and I can attest to that. The method that seems to be working is using a pair of industrial-strength chain hooks to tie each one of my massive ball of steel onto the insides of my thighs. While I'm aware it is generally not accepted convention to separate your massive ***** of steel, however consider that it is only temporary while in the act of driving your vehicle. And a short step of removing the chain hooks after reaching your destination ensures your massive ***** of steel are reunited. I've been doing this for quite a while now and now I am clunk-free.

Hope this helps.
silly.

to the OP, welcome and you're at the right place. not a lot of people have headlight washers. as for your suspension clunk check your bushings, ball joints, and sway bar endlinks. sometimes a blown shock can cause clunks but most of the time a bushing is worn out.
Old 07-11-13, 03:31 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Welcome and congrats. The most common culprit is front strut bar bushings.
Old 07-12-13, 12:36 PM
j5ive
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ISF drivers and their constant need to prove something to the world... =p

Thanks for the welcomes, and the tips on the suspension. I've only driven the car 4 short trips since its my wife's commuter, but it's definitely a great car. And the V8! So much torque, but so quiet. On a local road with a decent incline, where every other car I've ever driven needed a downshift, the LS actually upshifted during the climb and kept along with traffic!

I can get used to this.