LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

No brainer,right?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-13, 12:56 PM
bwilsongs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No brainer,right?

I feel a little crazy in writing this, but maybe I'll be surprised. I guess in the end this is a cry for help, a hope that the good folks at Club Lexus will keep me from doing something stupid.

I am going to purchase an LS400. I've narrowed it down to two (and as you'll see, probably one). Both are the same year, and close in price.

One is everything I want aesthetically. A beautiful Black on Black that has been well taken care of cosmetically for sure. Same owner for 9 years, kept being reliable, so he kept driving it. Has 145,000 miles - timing belt has never been changed. In speaking with the owner, air doesn't blow as cold as it should, etc, "it's a 14 year old car" conversation. Very knowledgeable and is disclosing everything so I also think pretty honest. But the timing belt not being changed makes me think there have to be other things that weren't taken care of mechanically.

The other is Gray with Gray interior. Not my least favorite combination, but not one I would choose in a perfect world. Owner has had it for 10 years. Timing belt has been done, spark plugs replaced, solenoid replaced, records for everything. 165,000 miles. It just doesn't excite me. The problem is, I feel like it should. Guy has treated the car like his baby and I'm stuck on the color.

Like everyone, I want something with minimal problems while getting maximum comfort, maximum excitement, etc. You know, an unrealistic goal to begin with. If I brought all the maintenance up to date on the Black one, am I still fighting a losing battle?

It's obvious my heart wants the black one. My head is telling me it shouldn't even be a discussion. Take it easy on me everyone, I know this isn't the most intellectual of questions. I have owned an LS before, and I know how reliable they are. Can I make the Black LS right, or am I playing Russian Roulette?
Old 06-27-13, 02:04 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

You have to live with both aspects or pay for it at some point. (Sounds like finding members of the opposite gender but we won't go that analogy route. ) Anyway, check over the maintenance of the black one. If it is correctable which in most cases it is with some expense, you are justified. That depends how deep your wallet is if the stuff goes south.

To me the silver/gray is a nice color and mechanical service is more priority because I want a car that I can drive. Not one that will suck $ from my wallet and spend time at the mechanics shop being sorted out. If you have a second car, you can play the game but not if you need a DD.

Conclusion, the silver grey would be top on my list.
Old 06-27-13, 04:00 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

always go with your heart, so what if you have to work on the car, it's fun and will make a man outta ya!

are they the same generation? - go for the black one if it is cosmetically beautiful inside and out, the timing belt is a great job to do yourself if you are careful and meticulous, and the parts kit with all real genuine Toyota parts is only $200

Old 06-27-13, 05:12 PM
Twista4004
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if you get the silver one with excellent maintenance it would basically be the difference of cost for painting your car black or fixing issues with black car (if there are issues).
Old 06-27-13, 06:07 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Twista4004
Well, if you get the silver one with excellent maintenance it would basically be the difference of cost for painting your car black or fixing issues with black car (if there are issues).
a paint job on par with the original Lexus paint/clear coat would be $10,000
Old 06-28-13, 06:25 AM
Twista4004
Driver

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
a paint job on par with the original Lexus paint/clear coat would be $10,000
Well then, that would make my choice very simple....
Old 06-28-13, 06:27 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Simple question of value... are you willing to pay more for the black one that really does excite you. With money, as LScowboy so eloquently stated, you can catch up the maintenance and get it where you want...sometimes you have to pay more for what you want. What is the cost of settling for the 'better deal' that is not what you want...being less than excited and possibly disappointed down the road. I will lean the other way on this one... don't settle in life...either get the black one that you want and pay up for getting all the maintenance up to speed and be happy with it...or wait and get the black one that has been taken care of as well as the silver one... if you're having such a hard time... then I feel you're not fully convinced... then maybe neither one is right for you... my 2.5 cents...
Old 06-28-13, 06:49 AM
Twista4004
Driver

Originally Posted by Legender
Simple question of value... are you willing to pay more for the black one that really does excite you. With money, as LScowboy so eloquently stated, you can catch up the maintenance and get it where you want...sometimes you have to pay more for what you want. What is the cost of settling for the 'better deal' that is not what you want...being less than excited and possibly disappointed down the road. I will lean the other way on this one... don't settle in life...either get the black one that you want and pay up for getting all the maintenance up to speed and be happy with it...or wait and get the black one that has been taken care of as well as the silver one... if you're having such a hard time... then I feel you're not fully convinced... then maybe neither one is right for you... my 2.5 cents...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Tru Dat Too
Old 06-28-13, 07:54 PM
bwilsongs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I have to admit that I was a little surprised by some of the responses, but very appreciative for the insights. Always great to get some perspective from others. I threw it out there for that reason, and I'm glad I did.
Old 06-29-13, 12:00 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I sat back and waited for the right car to come to me on ebay, for 4 friggin months, it was killin me, but worth it for one that looks like it was right off the showroom floor! - took a flight to Ft. Lauderdale to pick it up and then drove it back! - Seller said he was gonna pick me up in a Rolls at the airport, and he did! - that was the day I learned I would rather have an LS400 than the same year of Rolls Royce!
Old 06-29-13, 01:51 AM
lev00221
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It sounds to me like you still need to perform your due diligence before deciding. Don't take any owner's word for it regardless of receipts. Look up the maintenance history on both cars and have them thoroughly inspected.

Assume that you purchase the blk/blk car and will take to a Lexus dealer for a timing belt service and it costs $1200. In five years are you going to wish that you had saved that money and had actually purchased the grey/grey car? Or will you still look at the blk/blk car that you initially loved and be thankful that you purchased what you originally wanted despite the extra maintenance costs?
Old 06-29-13, 07:29 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

When i bought my 91 i wanted silver. I looked at 5 silver gen1s priced from 13000 to 16000. I asked my wife what I should do. She said spend for what you want and down the road it will pay off in enjoyment. She was so right. I bought the nicest one and its been 14 glorious years. I made the right move.