LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Do you guys check your state laws?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-13, 01:13 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Do you guys check your state laws?

I know some states have minimum and maximum head light heights. Minimum is usually 24" from the center of the head lamp on level ground.

I'm at 23" at my current ride height at my lowest would have been 19"-20"

ILCS 625 5/12-607.1
Frame and floor height. (a) No person shall operate upon a highway a first division vehicle which has a clearance between the frame and ground in excess of 22 inches. The lowest portion of the body floor shall not be more than 4 inches above the top of the frame. No such vehicle shall be modified to cause the vehicle body or chassis to come in contact with the ground, expose the fuel tank to damage from collision or cause the wheels to come in contact with the body under normal operation.

Means I can go low as possible since IL has no minimum head light height requirements. "Bumper cover" isn't the chassis so plowing should be okay.
Old 06-18-13, 06:31 AM
Mr.Doback
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup. I remember my first lowered ticket, car was a solid 3" under the limit and the cop was just amazed...paid ticket, continued on my merry way.

I have seen both, but in VA we have a bumper bar law, which is weird since they can't techincally measure it with the bumper on. The basic fact is, if the wheels rub lock to lock, we get towed, if not, they let us go...
Old 06-18-13, 11:34 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

CA CVCC has two catches for vehicle ground clearance:

24008. It is unlawful to operate any passenger vehicle, or commercial vehicle under 6,000 pounds, which has been modified from the original design so that any portion of the vehicle, other than the wheels, has less clearance from the surface of a level roadway than the clearance between the roadway and the lowermost portion of any rim of any wheel in contact with the roadway.
If the air is let out of the tires on level ground and any portion of the body hit's first, the car is not street legal.

24400. (a) A motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, shall be equipped with at least two headlamps, with at least one on each side of the front of the vehicle, and, except as to vehicles
registered prior to January 1, 1930, they shall be located directly above or in advance of the front axle of the vehicle. The headlamps and every light source in any headlamp unit shall be located at a height of not more than 54 inches nor less than 22 inches.
Now this one has some interpretation. One deputy who pulled me over had cited a measurement on headlight height based on the lowest portion of the headlight. Another had mentioned center portion.

Last edited by RA40; 06-18-13 at 01:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-18-13, 11:35 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Lol my car probably breaks these laws. Oh well
Old 06-18-13, 11:49 AM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

california probably has all the crappy state laws you can think of. smog, tint, windshield obstruction, ride height, noise, front plate, color of lights, etc. and yet we continue to drive around .
Old 06-18-13, 01:27 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing I could find on Florida was a max height of 54 inches for the headlights. I couldnt find a minimum height anywhere...... So I take it we dont have one?

I'm ok with that though.
Old 06-18-13, 01:29 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Yeah, bites for car modding at the extremes. Even so, plenty can be done within the restrictions, most the time.

Reminds me of the Celica. At the time, CARB had not had their hands in all the car parts. So when I ordered a "smog legal" header, it included the necessary hook-up's for the air injection into the manifold. The header manufacturer not wanting to get into all the testing certification then classified the header as "off road use only". My smog guy recognized it was technically a smog legal header and proceeded with the smog test.

When it required the CARB plate/sticker and heavy fines came about for non-compliant cars, his hands were tied. I had waited a long time for the rolling smog to eliminate the car but more green minded laws ceased that hope. One day I'll be able to enjoy driving it. So until then, it has sat in the garage as a dust collector for 13 years and counting. (Can read that as there are other financial priorities than driving this car. More )
Old 06-18-13, 01:41 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
california probably has all the crappy state laws you can think of. smog, tint, windshield obstruction, ride height, noise, front plate, color of lights, etc. and yet we continue to drive around .
I find it ironic that despite this, California has so much more to offer in terms of automotive modification.
Old 06-18-13, 04:20 PM
j2b4o
Pole Position

I had a few VA cops tell me that any suspension modification from stock ride height is illegal. One of the many reasons I hate this state with a passion. They even threatened to tow my car out of my driveway because I wasn't inspected yet. It was registered and insured and still had the NY inspection that had been done only a few months prior. I'm sure NY has similarly retarted laws but no one has ever enforced them to my knowledge.
Old 06-18-13, 07:16 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

I never checked, and never really cared. I'm sure PA does have laws about height, but as long as you're not being an ***, and the car doesn't look like it's about to fall apart, it's generally not a problem here. The biggest no no's around here are tinted windows and speeding, the former which usually isn't a problem if you're behaving.
Old 06-19-13, 11:02 AM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
I find it ironic that despite this, California has so much more to offer in terms of automotive modification.
agreed. the automotive culture here is so large it warrants the laws. i just hate it when i see rat rods with open headers driving around and i can't run with an open downpipe.

and as for ride height, lots of folks around here drive to the point of pulling road reflectors off! my friends tell me he has to switch lanes in the intersection (which is also illegal) in order to avoid the road reflectors. from what i read, southern california is known world wide for having the lowest cars!
Old 06-19-13, 04:26 PM
Twista4004
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
just like Mexico with some of the strictest guns laws yet still........

Irony
Old 06-20-13, 02:10 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

there's a cutoff as to when the sound regulations are enforced, mid or early '60's iirc.
Old 06-20-13, 08:49 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
agreed. the automotive culture here is so large it warrants the laws. i just hate it when i see rat rods with open headers driving around and i can't run with an open downpipe.

and as for ride height, lots of folks around here drive to the point of pulling road reflectors off! my friends tell me he has to switch lanes in the intersection (which is also illegal) in order to avoid the road reflectors. from what i read, southern california is known world wide for having the lowest cars!
I was hitting road reflectors at one point. But I raised it up about three times. I'm liking my functional ride height now.