LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400
Old 12-16-14, 12:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

91' LS400 won't get out of first gear HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-12, 07:27 AM
s14a
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so here's where we're at currently.

Last night I popped my ecu out to show you some stuff going on inside.

This morning I went back and hooked it back up to the car because I found a way to run diagnostics on my transmission: http://soarercentral.com/sc-forum/me.../1113/932.html

So I used a paper clip and started looking for the blinking O/D OFF to see how many times it would blink to pick up a code and it would just blink 2 times every 1 second (which means the system is running normal). So I was stumped again. Then I thought, well I basically reset the ecu the moment I took it out from my car last night. So maybe I should run the car for a bit and wait for the ecu to scan on its own for codes. So then I decided to go for a stroll expecting to be stuck in first gear.... IT SHIFTS NOW! It's running top notch again, and even smoother now after those two oil changes No check engine lights or blinking O/D OFF (even though I never had those to begin with)

So now I'm just creeped out. I mean, re-setting the ECU is what obviously fixed this. So I think it's safe to say that maybe I should just replace the capacitors and never look back?

BTW thanks for continuously checking back on this thread. You really did help out a bunch.
Old 12-14-12, 10:09 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

yes! - this tells you that the transmission controller of your ECU is having issues, and those issues are going to be capacitor issues!

your transmission control is giving you a warning "Fix me!"

you need to go ahead and make sure which capacitors you have *before you order them* by visual inspection, as every ECU is different, my list per year range is the typical, not absolute.

if you leave the glove box out, it only tastes a couple of minutes to remount the ECU so you can use the car while the caps are being shipped
Old 12-15-12, 07:00 AM
s14a
Driver School Candidate

Ok so exact symptoms now come and go. It was driving fine for a good 30 miles and it started again. Well now my main focus is to get this ECU serviced. I personally am not that strong with soldering/electronics. I noticed driftmotion offers a service to replace capacitors on 1UZ ECUs for 80 bucks. Can I trust them? My buddy has purchased numerous 1JZ parts from these guys so I know they're good in their sales but just wanna make sure they're good with electronics.
Old 12-15-12, 11:13 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

the speed sensor doesnt effect the speedometer..did u check ur wires in the trunk hinge on the drivers side?
i would start there like pure drifter suggested...thats the common issue with wierd electrical issues on these cars..not the caps
Old 12-17-12, 06:02 AM
s14a
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by python
the speed sensor doesnt effect the speedometer..did u check ur wires in the trunk hinge on the drivers side?
i would start there like pure drifter suggested...thats the common issue with wierd electrical issues on these cars..not the caps
I'm sure if I had a bad speed sensor I would get a check engine light or a blinking O/D OFF. Plus, like mentioned earlier, this is an in and out situation. Sometimes it works fine (when I reset the ecu) and sometimes it doesn't.

But I did check the harness by the trunk hinge:

I peeled back a few sections of the harness on the driver side from the trunk hinge, and nothing that I can spot. I mean, I can remove the entire loom but for the most part, I didn't see any abnormalities. Interestingly enough though, I did/still have the warning light on the dash for a "bulb out". I never really check to see if I actually DO have a blub out. But like I mentioned earlier, the bad harness symptoms seem to include erratic dash lights, weird braking, and shifter indicator lights being all wacky on cluster. Mine all light up fine. So I never got any input from you guys on driftmotion. Should I go with them? I would ship my ECU out today.

PS- Is it normal that my REVERSE light lights up every time I hit the brakes?

Last edited by s14a; 12-17-12 at 06:07 AM.
Old 12-17-12, 06:11 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

im talking about the actual hinge,not on the lid..and yes thats a sypmtom of the trunk hinge wires needing to be fixed..the reverse lights and different wierd electrical issues will start acting up
Old 12-17-12, 06:42 AM
s14a
Driver School Candidate

Sorry I'm a little confused. So were talking about this area?

Old 12-17-12, 07:22 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

yes, inspect the integrity of each wire in the curved area of the hinge
Old 12-17-12, 07:26 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I noticed driftmotion offers a service to replace capacitors on 1UZ ECUs for 80 bucks.
maybe if you supply your own capacitors, but a place like that will never use the correct type of capacitor, left on their own, you would have to talk to their guy who actually does the soldering and tell him you need your own capacitors soldered in, and then I would go back and verify that he really used the ones you supplied and got the right ones in in the correct locations and verify the polarity, etc.

you don't know any men or women who are adept at soldering?

of maybe an electronics assembly place firm in an industrial park could recommend someone

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 12-17-12 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-17-12, 07:41 AM
s14a
Driver School Candidate

WOAH. Ok. This car is nuts.

Check out what I found:

Black and white wire was completely snap in half. Black wire was on it's way.

So I repaired those 2 wires and went for a test drive....

No more reverse light light iluminating when I brake!

I also use to sense that the car would shake (getting rear ended feeling) when I would press on the brakes and it would down shift. Now that's also gone! Smooth like butter! I can even feel when it down shifts.

The indicator light for "bulb out" also went away!

AND ABOVE ALL, SHE NOW SHIFTS ALL THE WAY THROUGH! Drove it for like 30 miles and not a single hiccup!

I can't understand how some wires located in the trunk could cause so much drama. These cars are a bit complex. Coming from Nissans that is.
Old 12-17-12, 07:46 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

yay! - good job!
Old 12-17-12, 11:47 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

trunk hinge harness strikes again.
Old 05-24-18, 09:19 PM
HStefoniuk
Driver School Candidate

Default 1993 LS400 not shifting out of first gear NEED HELP!!

Hey everyone, I’m new to the forum. I recently purchased my 1993 LS400 about a month ago. Everything has been awesome up until today. On my way home from work I noticed the car wasn’t running right. I looked down at my dash and saw the R was illuminated as well as the D while I was driving. Then I noticed it was revving at 5000rpm. So I pulled over put it in park and took the keys out, and the R was still illuminated until I opened the door. Now every time I start it up the R is constiently illuminated, and will not shift outa first gear.

if anyone has any idea what this could be. I would really appreciate it.

Thank you