LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

A/C Evaporator

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-18, 05:02 AM
akswagga
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C Evaporator

Hi everyone ,

im looking for a replacement for my A/C Evaporator , but im confused about the brand is it really worth it to go pay more for denso ?

On rockauto https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ator+core,6768

GDP = 118$
FOUR SEASONS = 133$
DENSO = 206$

kindly let me know guys
thanks

Old 04-04-18, 07:30 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by akswagga
Hi everyone ,

im looking for a replacement for my A/C Evaporator , but im confused about the brand is it really worth it to go pay more for denso ?

On rockauto https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ator+core,6768

GDP = 118$
FOUR SEASONS = 133$
DENSO = 206$

kindly let me know guys
thanks

Consider durability of original Denso Evaporator.

Where is brand X manufactured? (China?)
Is it going to be an exact fit??

How many hours of labor to evacuate system, extract evaporator, install and refill?

$80 savings?
Old 04-04-18, 12:55 PM
akswagga
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Consider durability of original Denso Evaporator.

Where is brand X manufactured? (China?)
Is it going to be an exact fit??

How many hours of labor to evacuate system, extract evaporator, install and refill?

$80 savings?
im not sure where it is manufactured nor if its going to be fitted same as the OEM, but the mechanic will take care of it.

For 80$ less i might give it a try, are other manufactures really not worth it ?
Old 04-04-18, 01:08 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

it may work initially but longevity is the key.
perhaps down the line it will fail earlier than if you used OEM parts, causing more than your $80 in savings initially.

if it were my car I would go with Denso, no question.
Old 04-04-18, 05:29 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

OEM ALWAYS unless price prohibited.80 bucks is not prohibitive.OEM is miles better than the aftermarket trash nonsense of today.
Old 04-05-18, 12:05 PM
akswagga
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the advice
i guess ill have to wait
Old 04-05-18, 02:09 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

The cost difference is not the problem, its the huge amount of work to replace it. Its easier to remove the engine than to do that job.
Old 05-21-18, 08:49 AM
akswagga
Driver School Candidate

Well the good news is i bought the oem denso , but the bad news and which im pissed about is

the guy at the shop told me there is a part or a sub assembly im guessing its the black foam thing which is required,

, so no big deal just get it from your old part right well,,,, old evaporator core i sold as scrap metal

Old 05-21-18, 10:39 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

How did the new Denso match up with the original Denso?

When buying a replacement radiator for my '91, I found that I could buy a Lexus branded one, probably made by Denso, for about $500. I'll guess that is made with Copper, just like the original (Denso brand) was.

I bought a new Denso-branded one from Rock Auto for about $100, and it was made from Aluminum rather than Copper, and (what looked like) plastic vs. fiberglass on the original. So in that case, the $400 difference for the Lexus/Toyota brand was actually buying something other than bragging rights.

So the point is, for the radiator at least, buying the same OES brand, Denso in this case, did NOT get you the same quality part as the original.
Old 05-21-18, 11:45 AM
akswagga
Driver School Candidate

the part i bought

Originally Posted by oldskewel
How did the new Denso match up with the original Denso?

When buying a replacement radiator for my '91, I found that I could buy a Lexus branded one, probably made by Denso, for about $500. I'll guess that is made with Copper, just like the original (Denso brand) was.

I bought a new Denso-branded one from Rock Auto for about $100, and it was made from Aluminum rather than Copper, and (what looked like) plastic vs. fiberglass on the original. So in that case, the $400 difference for the Lexus/Toyota brand was actually buying something other than bragging rights.

So the point is, for the radiator at least, buying the same OES brand, Denso in this case, did NOT get you the same quality part as the original.

the OEM part is same as the original, as you can see here from rockauto but the mechanic was talking about something assembly on the old part, which i think he is only referring to the cushioning, as you can see from the photos the Denso doesnt have the cushioning unlike other brands but is it really necessary that i should get it from the old part ?

Last edited by akswagga; 05-21-18 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-21-18, 12:24 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

...the OEM part is same as the original, as you can see here from rockauto but the mechanic was talking about something assembly on the old part, which i think he is only referring to the cushioning, as you can see from the photos the Denso doesnt have the cushioning unlike other brands but is it really necessary that i should get it from the old part .
I don't know that the RockAuto presentation shows that it is the same as the original (since I don't know what the original is like). I do know that for a radiator for a 1991, if you buy a Denso radiator (Denso was the OES on that part), you get something very different today than Denso made 27 years ago.

I'm just pointing out a general warning to people who might reasonably expect that if you buy a new part from the original equiment supplier of that part, you'd get the same quality, etc. And that would be a potentially wrong assumption. And you might not know until you have the new part in hand.

It sounds like think your part is the same build quality, so that is good to know.
Old 05-21-18, 12:50 PM
akswagga
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oldskewel
I don't know that the RockAuto presentation shows that it is the same as the original (since I don't know what the original is like). I do know that for a radiator for a 1991, if you buy a Denso radiator (Denso was the OES on that part), you get something very different today than Denso made 27 years ago.

I'm just pointing out a general warning to people who might reasonably expect that if you buy a new part from the original equiment supplier of that part, you'd get the same quality, etc. And that would be a potentially wrong assumption. And you might not know until you have the new part in hand.

It sounds like think your part is the same build quality, so that is good to know.
so do you think it is really necessary to have the old cushioning ?? or should i look for another alternative
Old 05-21-18, 03:54 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

so do you think it is really necessary to have the old cushioning ?? or should i look for another alternative
Sounds like you're talking about the foam that wraps around the edge of the evaporator. All it does is absorb the vibrations. (Same as the heater core)
I'd say just go to Home Depot and get some 2" foam and put it in.

Also, I agree with oldskewel. OEM parts today are not the same build as OEM 27 years ago. That's why I can't see spending twice as much for an OEM part that might not even be OEM. I usually go aftermarket on 90% of my parts. Even if the part fails in a year or so, I do all my labor anyway.
Old 05-21-18, 11:07 PM
akswagga
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by deanshark
Sounds like you're talking about the foam that wraps around the edge of the evaporator. All it does is absorb the vibrations. (Same as the heater core)
I'd say just go to Home Depot and get some 2" foam and put it in.

Also, I agree with oldskewel. OEM parts today are not the same build as OEM 27 years ago. That's why I can't see spending twice as much for an OEM part that might not even be OEM. I usually go aftermarket on 90% of my parts. Even if the part fails in a year or so, I do all my labor anyway.
ill keep searching in the scarpyard for that and if that doesnt work then i guess ill have to go with your idea , i didnt know this thing would be as useful and needed, i spent big $ on this part and a foam they cannot provide, i even called the dealer ship here and they do not have the foam wrapper in stock either
Old 05-22-18, 08:18 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

ill keep searching in the scarpyard for that and if that doesnt work then i guess ill have to go with your idea , i didnt know this thing would be as useful and needed, i spent big $ on this part and a foam they cannot provide, i even called the dealer ship here and they do not have the foam wrapper in stock either
Do NOT get it from a scrapyard. You would have to take out the blower unit of the donor car to get it. Not really too much work if ya really gotta take it out but senseless for something like this, which would probably be deteriorated anyway.

Do NOT get it from the dealer either. They would charge you an arm and a leg for a piece of foam which they probably just cut off a roll of weather stripping anyway..

You can just get this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-Ki...AC49/202262367 or any other weather stripping. It's just there to absorb the tiny bit of vibration.

Quick Reply: A/C Evaporator