LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-13, 05:12 PM
Twista4004
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get that it needs caps too. Just wanted to reman the JY ECU so that I can keep driving my car. I have read the thread alot farther than my brain enjoyed. What I am looking for I did not already see. The diagram serves very little for what I want. I would like to see a real world look of the ECU exposed, still in stock location before it is removed. If that specifically is in this thread then I will look again through all 20 pages on my slow *** connection.

Also, any input on the first 2 questions? That sounded pretty interesting.
Old 06-26-13, 06:54 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

this stock ECU photo was a whole 2 pages earlier, like a week ago, took at least 5 or 6 seconds to locate - lol
Old 06-27-13, 08:40 AM
Twista4004
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol Tru dat------buuuuuut. What I'm talking about is a more panoramic view of the entire area to judge relationship to glove compartment, AC Blower, carpet etc. It's all good though, I'll go back to the Junk yard and try your suggestion this weekend to see if they have any ECUs and/or do some more research. Thanks though.
Old 07-05-13, 06:36 PM
frnkDtnk86
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know someone in so cal that can do this service?
Old 07-05-13, 08:46 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by frnkDtnk86
Anyone know someone in so cal that can do this service?
make sure that you go ahead and order the capacitors yourself, and then supply them to someone who you have had recommended as a solderer

the reason is, none of the "professional" places use the correct capacitors, I have opened 100's of these, and never once have i found a previously rebuilt one that used the correct parts! - I guess this is why mechanics or technicians shouldn't try to be engineers!
Old 07-09-13, 12:59 PM
Brodi
Driver School Candidate

Wink Correct Caps

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
I hope you used the links I provided because the exact types are a very rare type of premium special Japanese capacitor
Cowboy,

I did indeed follow the link and order from the location you supplied.

I have 2 traces broken that I am to connect jumpers on the back side and then install the Caps.

I have taken my time cleaning the board and even though am very excited about the outcome

have yet to " Jump " in there and finish the task. I will be sure to post the outcome when I do though.
Old 07-12-13, 12:27 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Received my order and these little guys didn't seem right for the spec although the bin tag was correct. Hey Cowboy, you trying to kill the eyeballs? I have a fine soldering tip, micro fine tweezers and microscope but this level is beyond me. One of the smallest caps I've had in hand.

The part is supposed to be the 220uF 50V Nichicon HW UHW1H221MPD. Digikey is checking the bin and will ship the correct cap out.
Attached Thumbnails All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)-cap05.jpg  
Old 07-12-13, 01:11 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RA40
Received my order and these little guys didn't seem right for the spec although the bin tag was correct. Hey Cowboy, you trying to kill the eyeballs? I have a fine soldering tip, micro fine tweezers and microscope but this level is beyond me. One of the smallest caps I've had in hand.

The part is supposed to be the 220uF 50V Nichicon HW UHW1H221MPD. Digikey is checking the bin and will ship the correct cap out.
Yeah Digikey made a little boo-boo, which is very rare for them.

they shipped you a surface mount cap, the type you would have inside your smartphone!

as much as I would love to take credit for the error, my listing in post#1 was indeed correct, as you can clearly see in this photo of the HW series on the datasheet at Nichicon's website:

www.nichicon.co.jp/english/products/pdfs/HW_e.pdf

I am a stickler for accuracy and precision!
Old 07-12-13, 01:19 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Brodi
Cowboy,

I did indeed follow the link and order from the location you supplied.

I have 2 traces broken that I am to connect jumpers on the back side and then install the Caps.

I have taken my time cleaning the board and even though am very excited about the outcome

have yet to " Jump " in there and finish the task. I will be sure to post the outcome when I do though.
make sure the traces are actually broken, it is much more common to find that once you complete all of the cleaning that the trace is a different color due to etching of the solder mask, but rarely is the damage extensive enough to actually break the trace, but it certain can and has happened

this is why it is important to catch this problem early!
Old 07-12-13, 01:48 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Your link was right and I also verified the spec on ordering. The CS gal read back the physical dimensions and spec for the bin on this call. The right ones should be here ~Wed. If we have reasonable weather I'll get into the ECU for a look and swap-out. Been quite humid the last few days so I get a bit whiny about working in a 90F garage.

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
Yeah Digikey made a little boo-boo, which is very rare for them.

they shipped you a surface mount cap, the type you would have inside your smartphone!

as much as I would love to take credit for the error, my listing in post#1 was indeed correct, as you can clearly see in this photo of the HW series on the datasheet at Nichicon's website:

www.nichicon.co.jp/english/products/pdfs/HW_e.pdf

I am a stickler for accuracy and precision!
Old 07-12-13, 02:24 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

something I need to re-iterate to everyone:

well first off, you remembered to disconnect the negative battery cable while installing the ECU, right?

so anyways, after installing, this is important - please turn the ignition to the RUN position (last key position before cranking) and leave it in this position for a minute or two to let the new capacitors initially charge up and acclimate to the ECU voltages before initial cranking up
Old 07-12-13, 02:30 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RA40
Been quite humid the last few days so I get a bit whiny about working in a 90F garage.
this will solve your intermittent whine noise
Old 07-18-13, 04:12 PM
joelpr1234
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the great info, i started the project in my 90 LS400 with 250k+ miles, i ordered the recommended capacitors for my year plus temp sensors, i will post pics of what i found inside the ecu
Old 07-18-13, 06:28 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by joelpr1234
Thank you for the great info, i started the project in my 90 LS400 with 250k+ miles, i ordered the recommended capacitors for my year plus temp sensors, i will post pics of what i found inside the ecu
It is best to order the capacitors after verifying the values on your car, so message me if they do not match the values I have posted
Old 07-20-13, 01:45 AM
fsuguy
Driver School Candidate

Hi LScowboyLS or Yamae,

This great information, and very helpful! I have one question that I need help with the parts listed:

Will the capacitors listed by you by their numbers be the actual low ESR caps? In other words, if I place an order with Digi-Key or Mouser electronics using the specific part numbers,will they be able to send me non-low ESR caps with the same part numbers??? Or do these part numbers specifically apply to the low ESR caps?

Thanks in advance for the reply

Quick Reply: All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)