LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Lexus death bed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-12, 03:47 PM
ccorogers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus death bed?

96 LS400 ok guys, I pressure washed the front of the motor and im 100% sure it is the front main seal, I looked under it when i got home and put oil in it and left for work today, only a short drive to work and now its feeling like it is losing power and the trac light is flasing on and off and the check engine light is flashing on and off, but the oil lights are not on. would losing the pressure with the front main seal cause a loss of power? I would love to keep the car and also would love to get a Newish Lexus as well. Thanks guys.
Old 09-01-12, 04:09 PM
denverdog
Pole Position

i'm no expert, but it sounds far fetched to damage a front main with a power washer. I would think it much more likely that water got in to an electrical component or sensor. if the seal is leaking, there shouod be oil visible on the ground, or on the shield covering the bottom of the engine, if that is still in place. others will no doubt have more specificity as to what to check. the more symptoms you can give, like when it happens, and under what load conditions, would help. i think the moral of the story is going to be NEVER EVER POWER WASH AN ENGINE. how many miles on the engine?
Old 09-01-12, 04:22 PM
ccorogers
Driver School Candidate

no, I suspected the front main was leaking because it is leaking oil like a water faucet.so i cleaned it to get a better view. sorry

Last edited by ccorogers; 09-01-12 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-01-12, 04:27 PM
ccorogers
Driver School Candidate

The car has 204K miles, a couple of days ago when i was driving home the oil light came on. I was thinking it was time to change the oil, the another red oil light came on, i got home and the dipstick was bone dry. i added oil and it is leaking horribly from the front main area. but would that cause it to lose power? I called my shop and the front main is a 10 dollar part with 450 dollars in labor.
Old 09-01-12, 05:26 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

How much oil are you using-replacing? Unless you have other wear issues with losing compression, etc, seems to me that water is shorting an electrical connection. Unless the car is in otherwise good condition, I say this is the opportunity to get another Lexus.

Has the timing belt been done for the 18-200K service interval? If you decide to keep it may as well do the idlers, front came seals, water pump, TB etc.
Old 09-01-12, 05:43 PM
ccorogers
Driver School Candidate

thanks, I had the timing belt and water pump done a year ago. the car is in good condition, but i dont want to be replacing engine parts every summer. and im replacing the oil each time i stop to check the dipstick. Im at work now wondering is she can even make it home at midnight, all seven miles.
Old 09-01-12, 06:18 PM
denverdog
Pole Position

perhaps, if car is in good shape, and maybe if you've done things like struts, bushings and tires, just look for a used engine. is the tranny good? just a thought.
Old 09-01-12, 06:36 PM
ccorogers
Driver School Candidate

yeah the tranny is smooth like silk. I love the car, but when is enough? the front main now. rear main when? oil pump? power sterring pump? I know the Lexus brand is a beast but, at 205K miles. is it time for a new puppy and put this one down? I can part it out or sell it cheap. for now I just hope to make it home.
Old 09-01-12, 07:54 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ccorogers
yeah the tranny is smooth like silk. I love the car, but when is enough? the front main now. rear main when? oil pump? power sterring pump? I know the Lexus brand is a beast but, at 205K miles. is it time for a new puppy and put this one down? I can part it out or sell it cheap. for now I just hope to make it home.
the front crank seal should have been replaced when you did the timing belt, if it was and it's leaking now it was installed wrong.

RMS is a somewhat common issue on just about every old car, but it shoouldn't be leaking that much.

Just a heads up, you can't part your car out on this forum as you don't meet requirements.
Old 09-01-12, 08:13 PM
ccorogers
Driver School Candidate

I have no plan to part my car on here, As I have no requirements to do so, I will probably sell the car at a giant discount. for now I will return it to the import shop that did the timing belt 12 months ago and say your error, fix it.
Old 09-01-12, 09:28 PM
LS400BOY
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea you shouldnt had pressured washed it with out covering some stuff up with bags or something
Old 09-02-12, 12:59 AM
shoob
Driver

water in the plug tubes?
Old 09-02-12, 01:39 AM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Let it sit for awhile to dry out. Might just be wet.
Old 09-02-12, 07:22 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by shoob
water in the plug tubes?
No, he is leaking oil from the front main seal... Read original post again.
Old 09-02-12, 07:23 AM
j2b4o
Pole Position

The trac light and stuff is a dead give away that you got stuff wet and didn't let it dry. Loss of oil won't trip those lights. Low on oil will make noise run poorly and throw oil lights. Usually you will hear valves and stuff making a racket when the oil is low enough to cause running problems.

Quick Reply: Lexus death bed?