LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Chasing a Code 14

Old 11-23-11, 10:00 AM
Chilkoot
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chasing a Code 14

After intermittent stall problems my ls is officially out of commission. Dies after cranking. Code 14 which is a failure of the no 1 ignitor (drivers side coil) to return a confirmation signal to the ecu, which then shuts off the injectors, so that the engine doesnt hydrolock, mimicking a fuel problem. A code 15 is the same problem, but on the no 2 (passenger side) coil.

Thanks to a 2 year old thread I have the wiring diagrams and repair manual pages, and i've spent a fair amount of time studying them.

I intend to make this a how to thread on diagnosing the 'starts and then dies' problem that comes up here but is never solved.

I have to check for spark, check igt1 (ecu to igniter), check igf1 (igniter to ecu), igniter power source (bl/or center wire on igniter harness), wires to coil, and coil is new so not the problem.

I'll go into more detail after I start, and if anyone has any words of warning I'd appreciate the advice. Electrical work isn't my forte. I'll be measuring the ignition signals through the igniter harness.

Last edited by Chilkoot; 11-23-11 at 10:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (05-31-22)
Old 11-24-11, 06:47 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

take the igniter off(not the same as the coil btw) and have it tested. that is ur ignition module, napa auto parts should have a tester there
Old 12-05-11, 09:40 AM
Chilkoot
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still chasing.

ECU consistently throws a 14. Swapped the igniters, still dies after short, but solid idle. still code 14. Unplugged both igniter connectors, threw 14 (#1) and 15 (#2). Have 12v solid on #1 and #2 igniter power wires. Car revs better than ever after new coil and fuel filter.

I have spark. Starts with #1 dist. wire unplugged, runs on 1 bank same amt of time as normal, no change in symptoms, dies in same manner.

No. 1 coil replaced, vibration/stretch tested no 1 igniter clip as per repair manual (jiggle wires). Did the same to trunk wire harness and coil connector while running, couldnt make it die on purpose. Battery ground replaced.

When I say it dies I mean it justs cuts. No bogging, it's like an electrical cut, but interior lights/dash/ecu keep power, only ignition is cut. No code until the stall. At idle, will drop 2-400 rpms like the beginning of a stall, but come back within half a second once every 20-30 secs or so /w no code. This makes me think maybe ignition relay which the repair manual references to check if no spark. Is this the EFI relay?

Occasional slow start, but not battery. Can crank fine 20 seconds later. 2 weeks or so before this all started I got a few random no starts a few days apart where the starter clicked rapidly but couldnt move the crank and after a few tries couldnt manage a single strong click, and jumping would not start it, but a few hours later cranked in 2 ticks with nothing but time.

Last edited by Chilkoot; 12-05-11 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-29-22, 10:03 PM
Kce
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start no idle

Originally Posted by Chilkoot
Still chasing.

ECU consistently throws a 14. Swapped the igniters, still dies after short, but solid idle. still code 14. Unplugged both igniter connectors, threw 14 (#1) and 15 (#2). Have 12v solid on #1 and #2 igniter power wires. Car revs better than ever after new coil and fuel filter.

I have spark. Starts with #1 dist. wire unplugged, runs on 1 bank same amt of time as normal, no change in symptoms, dies in same manner.

No. 1 coil replaced, vibration/stretch tested no 1 igniter clip as per repair manual (jiggle wires). Did the same to trunk wire harness and coil connector while running, couldnt make it die on purpose. Battery ground replaced.

When I say it dies I mean it justs cuts. No bogging, it's like an electrical cut, but interior lights/dash/ecu keep power, only ignition is cut. No code until the stall. At idle, will drop 2-400 rpms like the beginning of a stall, but come back within half a second once every 20-30 secs or so /w no code. This makes me think maybe ignition relay which the repair manual references to check if no spark. Is this the EFI relay?

Occasional slow start, but not battery. Can crank fine 20 seconds later. 2 weeks or so before this all started I got a few random no starts a few days apart where the starter clicked rapidly but couldnt move the crank and after a few tries couldnt manage a single strong click, and jumping would not start it, but a few hours later cranked in 2 ticks with nothing but time.
did you figure this out at all? Same issue here. Definitely isn't the coils or ecu