LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Newb with another 93 thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-11, 09:35 PM
SkulCracka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb with another 93 thread

I got in writing for most of these things to be fixed by the used car lot i bought it from. so all good there. some minor things i will have to do on my own. like interior lights, back passenger door panel carpet coming off. little things you know.

ok like in the jerk thread i have a strange jerking that only happen between 40 - 50 mph when cruising along? engine RPM's stay normal during this jerking sensation... will look again tomorrow for it. no other speed does this happen at cruising or during slow down or speed up. only cruising and only between those speeds. slight jerk at 40. more at 45 and almost to the point of violent at 50. slight bump of speeding up or slow down it goes awy at any of those speeds. can even stay within the jerking range. very strange to me never had any car ever do this. LexTek has some ideas. but is holding out on me. LOL

so i have had this car for 2 days now. i think it sat on the lot for for awhile. seems to be smoother running then even the first day. the 40-50 jerks are worse. first day had some slugish take offs. i thought bad gas working its way out of the motor. also had a slight oil leak the first day after 30 minute ride to the office. no spot on office parking lot today after topping off the oil this morning and was about a quart low.

ABS light is on. "Shrugs" no clue there. they will fix that. they say probly speed sensor? only comes on after moving and goes off after turn off, to return after restart and moving again.

of course my leds are partly blacked out on a/c and nakamichi. know what it takes to fix them.

now ive read some posts on this light issue. havent found a clear resolution on it. green lights on radio and ac are on during the day mode. parking or headlights on and lights on panel go out. none of the buttons are back lit. not sure if they are supose to be? hit auto ect and small green light on them work with headlights or parking mode on. so you can tell what mode is on when. now along with these lights the glove box, ignition, front passenger seatbelt and passenger floorboard and shifter light dont work??? all fuse under dash and under the hood are good????

the fuel,rpm, temp cluster all is working normaly there.

other then these things. 90k on her. the car is like everyone else says smooth like butter and plenty of pick up. perfect body. fresh paint since the clear coat was peeling. Hot FL sun. nice interior no rips. one small piece of leather 1/8" wide maybe 2" long on passger side came off. can see the rest of the seat cover underniether no padding showing. headliner all rest inside is nice. floored it doing 35 and all the way to 60 before i let off the gas was zingin and tires on the verg of breaking loose. "screaching" mUhahaha ... will put up some pics soon.

if you have any things i can try witht he lights or other items here please help. all those interior lights cant be burnt out. least i wouldnt think so.

Last edited by SkulCracka; 09-21-11 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-21-11, 09:33 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

You say you just bought this car from a dealer and they're fixing some problems, but you didn't mention that they're gonna fix the slight jerk at 40. more at 45 and almost to the point of violent at 50. That's the main thing that they should fix, under the warranty. When/if they do fix it, find out what they do and post it up b/c alot of people (including me) have that problem.
Old 09-21-11, 11:23 AM
SkulCracka
Pole Position

ya will do. no its not a Lexus dealer.... and its doing it less today then the first two days. but ya when i find out what was causing it i will post it up. Yes this and the ABS was my main concerns when i got the car.

i did a seafoam cleaning the first day helped alot. did a throttle body cleaning and MAS cleaning today. then reset ecu. running even better. changed the air filter while i had it all apart. have not changed fuel filter yet. got dark.

all fluids are were they should be. but GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. still have the cutting out jerking when just cruising. it actualy did it today under 40 mph once on a start from a light and once when cruising about 30-35mph.
then again only had the car 3 days. i did notice it is actualy cutting out and back on.paid more attention and seen the rpms drop.

scheduled to drop it off friday. i might just take the day off and stay with the car make sure they dont do anything stupid. she's like my baby now and im afriad to leave her alone. LOL

Last edited by SkulCracka; 09-21-11 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-21-11, 09:38 PM
SkulCracka
Pole Position

posted some pics up top.

seen something interesting. all the lights work in the car. if i turn the light switch real slow all the lights on center consoles come on including all the back lighting on front center. "radio, a/c, shifter"

Last edited by SkulCracka; 09-22-11 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-22-11, 08:09 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

If the dash lights go out when you turn on the headlights the dimmer is probably turned down all the way. It's the little black **** on dash to the left of the steering wheel. Did you try turning that?
Old 09-22-11, 08:36 AM
SkulCracka
Pole Position

yes i have tried the dimmer. its up all the way just under the position for daylight extra powerfull lighting. i did notice the switch will just keep turning and turning. so maybe your onto something there. maybe just a bad dimmer. the main cluster works just fine for lighting though.
Old 09-22-11, 08:50 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SkulCracka
i did notice the switch will just keep turning and turning. so maybe your onto something there. maybe just a bad dimmer.
Eh, it was just a thought, some people have missed that when they first get thier new to them LS. But that's normal for the switch to just keep turning.
Old 09-22-11, 01:57 PM
SkulCracka
Pole Position

ok so not the dimmer....... so i know all the lights work i wonder what is keeping them from being on all the time then? led on the lcds work but go off when you turn the lights on and i only see the other center lights when i turn the main switch real slow fo a milisec they flash. hope some one know what direction to point me in next? cap in the center console or main cluster maybe?

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...hp/t43032.html OK... found this thread that says its a simple ground wire issue in the ashtray or the radio. going to pull that aprt tonight and see if i find a loose ground wire.

WOW guess i got lucky yesterday and didnt kill my AFM... since did the newb thing and cleaned it like it was a MAS. but now my jerking has become noticable at a broader range. this could be becuse i was driving slower and paying more attention to that problem on day 4 here. its more like decribed in the jerk thread were its cutting all the way out then back on. like it has lost fuel or spark all together. then back on. i just want it fixed and dont want the dealer i bought it from to replace un-need parts with cheapo parts. after checking the lights tonight for that ground issue i will pull the codes to see what i get.

Last edited by SkulCracka; 09-22-11 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-22-11, 02:59 PM
LEXTEK1
Rookie

This should help

Newb with another 93 thread-illumination93.gif
Newb with another 93 thread-illumination931.gif
Newb with another 93 thread-illumination932.gif

Last edited by LEXTEK1; 09-22-11 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-22-11, 03:08 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Hey, you're not the only one who did the newbie thing with cleaning the AFM. That was the first thing I did when I bought mine. How do you know you didn't mess it up? Mine is screwed but it doesn't throw a code unless it's unplugged, which it has been for 2 years now. I get my skip/jerk at 40-45 MPH if I stay at a steady pace just touching the gas pedal but I think that is from the TPS, which is another part I just haven't changed yet.. You mentioned pulling codes, is the engine light on? You should check your AFM with an ohm meter. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...on-issues.html
Old 09-22-11, 06:36 PM
SkulCracka
Pole Position

well nothing bad in the grounding. i seen the one ground wire it was secure and inplace. felt like it was the first time it all had been pulled out the (radio ashtray and the air vents). then tried the cigarette mod to fix the lighter its now uplugged till i get a new one. blew the fuse after the lighter mod.

thanks for the diagrams LexTek. unfortunatley im not good at following those to find out what the electrical problem is.

dean im only guesing i didnt ruin the AFM becuase it still idles perfect and revs up fine too. no im not getting any engine light. course the light could be burned out.
didnt bother trying to pull the codes. takin her in the morning. so they can pull the codes find the problem and fix it along with the ABS warning problem. the ashtray and the light problem drove me kinda crazy. uggggggggg

ill just have to save a few bucks the next few weeks to get the new ashtray from a junkyard. hopefully also grab a functioning original antenna. then save for someone to look over the light problem for me.

Last edited by SkulCracka; 09-22-11 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-22-11, 06:52 PM
LEXTEK1
Rookie

Check the 7.5 panel fuse and make sure someone has not spread out the clips and the fuse is not loose. Other than that I think your headlight switch is bad. Electrically it matches your symptom! You should take the time to learn to read the diagrams. This is a great way to start! You will need the skills in the future, trust me...

You most likely ruined that AF Sensor. It operates off of light from an LED. Not a hot wire like the newer ones do.

Deanshark, WTF Man, replace the AF sensor! We will have very little success with your 40-50 surging unless you are metering air correctly. Your ECM is going off of a map that (Will make it to the Dealer) You are loosing out on precision injection! In fact your ECU has no idea what the real intake air temp is. You will have codes for both AF and THA.. Driving your car like that for two years blows a goat!

Last edited by LEXTEK1; 09-22-11 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-22-11, 07:29 PM
LEXTEK1
Rookie

Do the tail lights work? Scratch the diag on the lights for now. I need more info... Still check the fuse for looseness.

Last edited by LEXTEK1; 09-22-11 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-22-11, 07:45 PM
LEXTEK1
Rookie

but now my jerking has become noticable at a broader range. this could be becuse i was driving slower and paying more attention to that problem on day 4 here. its more like decribed in the jerk thread were its cutting all the way out then back on. like it has lost fuel or spark all together. then back on.

Was this after cleaning the AF sensor?
Old 09-22-11, 08:03 PM
LEXTEK1
Rookie

Originally Posted by deanshark
Hey, you're not the only one who did the newbie thing with cleaning the AFM. That was the first thing I did when I bought mine. How do you know you didn't mess it up? Mine is screwed but it doesn't throw a code unless it's unplugged, which it has been for 2 years now. I get my skip/jerk at 40-45 MPH if I stay at a steady pace just touching the gas pedal but I think that is from the TPS, which is another part I just haven't changed yet.. You mentioned pulling codes, is the engine light on? You should check your AFM with an ohm meter. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...on-issues.html
Your TPS may be out of adjustment! Your ECU may need a few caps. There is another surge related to excessive EGR. I can tell you how to fix it but you and Skull need to make the car the car runs right first. Or it does not make sense to go through it...

Last edited by LEXTEK1; 09-22-11 at 08:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Newb with another 93 thread