LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Quick tie rod question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-11, 10:27 AM
tanyet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick tie rod question

I was just wondering what the difference in these parts were. The oem tie rods from Lexus on a 2000 ls400 is the left and right tie rods assembly's (Sewell Lexus). Rock Auto has the deeza left inner and left outer and the right inner and right outer. Does the oem assemblies have everything I need to replace the tie rods? Are there 2 tie rods per side?

Please excuse my ignorance on the issue but I'm more of a driver than a fixer but I've already learned alot hanging out here. I did a search but nothing got real specific.
Old 07-26-11, 12:07 PM
tanyet
Driver School Candidate

I think I figured all this out. I just talked to Sewell and they gave me the following part numbers and prices to replace the tie rods for both sides.

All these for $429.41 minus the CL discount (isn't it 10%) comes out to $386.47 before shipping.

Parts.com has the same items and part numbers for $296.88 before shipping.

Is there anyplace any cheaper for oem and are there any aftermarket makers that are worth anything? I searched and it looked like some people had used deeza's in the past. Are there any others that you guys would use?
Old 07-26-11, 12:39 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

you have a 2000 LS and it already needs all TRE's?? how many miles do you drive? or are you on country roads?
just curious, my 99's have 128 & 161 and are fine.
Old 07-26-11, 12:54 PM
tanyet
Driver School Candidate

I just bought it and its got 166k. I'm getting a vibration through the steering wheel at 50 to 70mph and thought that it was either the tires or strut rods but after getting the tires rotated and balanced it was still doing it. My mechanic said the strut rods looked ok but the driver's side tie rod was hosed. I figured I would go ahead and change both of them out at the same time.
Old 07-26-11, 03:00 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you could swap the whole rack with a rebuilt unit for the cost of the TREs.
Old 07-27-11, 05:12 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
you could swap the whole rack with a rebuilt unit for the cost of the TREs.
smart move......
Old 07-27-11, 07:13 AM
tanyet
Driver School Candidate

What parts would that have? Is there more info about this available? I'm up for any solution. I guess I just don't know enough about it to know where to look.

I did a google search for rebuilt racks and found some info but most place said tie rods were no included.'
Old 07-27-11, 07:38 AM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do the simple thing first. Replacing the steering rack insulator (bushings) may help in your situation. There two bushings. Or simply tighten the nuts for the bushing bracket. Those rubber deteriorates over 12 years.
Old 07-27-11, 07:50 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by tanyet
What parts would that have? Is there more info about this available? I'm up for any solution. I guess I just don't know enough about it to know where to look.

I did a google search for rebuilt racks and found some info but most place said tie rods were no included.'
The rebuilt racks do not come with outer tierods. I looked around quick and the cheapest rack I saw was $300, (+ core and shipping) but no outer rods. You can try http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php I've been recomending them alot lately. (I should get a commision) That's where I get all my parts. Speaking of Deeza's, (I don't have experience with them) rock auto has all 4 for about $100. You can get Beck/Arnley, all 4, for $160 + shipping. I think they're OEM but check on that.
Old 07-27-11, 08:38 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

theautopartsstore.com has A1Cardone unit for $204.86 and you are right, no outer TRE.
but I really dont believe his is "worn-out".
I say have it checked by a pro, quit guessing. NTB is good at checking..
Old 07-27-11, 03:21 PM
tanyet
Driver School Candidate

A quick update...

After listening to two different mechanics, one who said it was probably the strut rods and the other who said it was definitely the tie rods, I took it to get the tires rotated and balanced. After having this done the shake was still there and now the car rode much worse than it did before I got the tires balanced. I took it back and it turns out that I have one slightly warped rim and the weights that they put on came of because they were hitting the brakes. They put more weights on and it got rid of the shake but like I said before the car rides much worse now. Before I would feel a comfortable thud when I went over bumps and now it just rattles.

I think I'm just about ready to take it to the dealership and let them at least diagnose what it needs and what's going on with it.

Damn I wish I had learned to be a mechanic.
Old 07-27-11, 04:14 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Sometimes, when ya can't figure it out, the best thing to do is bring it to the dealer (I hate saying this) and get it diagnosed.
Also, it's never too late to become a mechanic. Although, things are alot more difficult then they were 40 years ago.
Old 07-28-11, 04:41 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

deanshark:
"Although, things are alot more difficult then they were 40 years ago. "

Amen.

we must be about the same age..... I'm 77, I closed my shop and retired in 96.

Old 07-28-11, 07:33 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by billydpowe
deanshark:
"Although, things are alot more difficult then they were 40 years ago. "

Amen.

we must be about the same age..... I'm 77, I closed my shop and retired in 96.

I ain't nowhere near there yet. Although the life I've had, I sure feel it sometimes. I'm only 45 but my father started me working on cars when I was about 5, and I'm happy for every minute he had me working instead of playing. But maybe he needed me to do the work b/c he was so drunk. Just kiddin'. He was the best.
Anyway billy, not to jump off topic but, are the LSs keeping ya busy in your retirement? Eh, stay busy but relax, you put in your time and you deserve it.
Old 07-28-11, 07:49 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

deanshark:
"Anyway billy, not to jump off topic but, are the LSs keeping ya busy in your retirement? Eh, stay busy but relax, you put in your time and you deserve it."
yes, I stay active, I now have the two 99's I want. my other 99 was a very good car also, but had had a fender, headlight and grille replacement, and I just wanted one that was OEM. my nephew (who done most of the work), and I have replaced TB/WP on 5 of the LS's, for friends, and my old 97. and some other work, so I give as much help as I can. keep up the good work.

Quick Reply: Quick tie rod question