LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

93 LS400 Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-11, 12:22 AM
rucker67
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 LS400 Check Engine Light

Can anyone give suggestions on CEL on 93 LS400; CEL came on, now the enging idles low, tranny remains in high gear and have to manually shift from L to D to get the car to move. It won't move in (D) just revs high and slowly moves. Mechanics can't get a code when they hook up the ODB1 scanner, I've tried shortening out the E1 & TE1 ports to get blinking CEL but to no avail. Any suggestion will be taken into consideration...need help please thanks.
Old 02-24-11, 07:06 AM
sethjon
Driver

Originally Posted by rucker67
Can anyone give suggestions on CEL on 93 LS400; CEL came on, now the enging idles low, tranny remains in high gear and have to manually shift from L to D to get the car to move. It won't move in (D) just revs high and slowly moves. Mechanics can't get a code when they hook up the ODB1 scanner, I've tried shortening out the E1 & TE1 ports to get blinking CEL but to no avail. Any suggestion will be taken into consideration...need help please thanks.
Whatever mechanics you are referring to is doing something wrong. A code should definitely come up. My guess is a sensor, but there are several. Try a different mechanic to get the code.
Old 02-24-11, 05:18 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Does your engine light come on at all? Like when you turn the key to start the car. The bulb could be blown. It should blink when you connect those ports even if there are no codes. Is this what you, or your mechanic, is doing? http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html As it says in this link, to check transmision codes use the "O/D OFF" light.
Old 02-26-11, 08:32 AM
rucker67
Driver School Candidate

Hey thanks for the replies, I'm new to the forum....but to answer your questions, yes I've tried a couple of mechanics and they're not getting any codes when they hook up their scanners. My CEL comes on when I start the vehicle up and stays on while running, I connected the ports under the dash and under the hood and still get no blinking lights. It's also using fuel like a freaking "monster truck" and now there's a strong smell of carbon monoxide while driving. I was told that b/c the scanner can't read a code it's more likely that the ecm/ecu has gone bad. Any other input would be greatly appreciated, once again thanks guys for your responses and I look forward to other suggestions.
Old 02-26-11, 08:53 AM
sethjon
Driver

Originally Posted by rucker67
Hey thanks for the replies, I'm new to the forum....but to answer your questions, yes I've tried a couple of mechanics and they're not getting any codes when they hook up their scanners. My CEL comes on when I start the vehicle up and stays on while running, I connected the ports under the dash and under the hood and still get no blinking lights. It's also using fuel like a freaking "monster truck" and now there's a strong smell of carbon monoxide while driving. I was told that b/c the scanner can't read a code it's more likely that the ecm/ecu has gone bad. Any other input would be greatly appreciated, once again thanks guys for your responses and I look forward to other suggestions.
Now it sounds like it could be the coolant sensor. If it is, it will not set off a code and the computer will think its cold all the time and use a lot of fuel. you can buy the sensor on line for around $25-40. I think Autozone has it too for a little more. Its a pain in the *** to remove but its not that bad.
Old 03-24-11, 11:53 AM
tonyfazt
Rookie

was this problem fixed mine does the same thing and the monoxide smell is toxic
Old 03-24-11, 11:59 AM
lex8000
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this *exact* same problem in a 93 LS400.

My mechanic said the code was for the ECU computer itself, but he wasn't sure it really was the issue. After resetting the ECU twice, the car worked fine. Still, I bought a used ECU and he swapped it out. Car still ran fine for two days then acted funny today (turned over slow on start with some smoke in exhaust). I posted in the ECU #s thread that I'm wondering if this is a steering pump vale leak problem that is confusing the computer when too much PS fluid burns on start up, putting the car into limp mode. Only a theory though so if anyone has fixed this please share it.
Old 03-28-11, 06:33 PM
rucker67
Driver School Candidate

Default Check Engine Light

Originally Posted by tonyfazt
was this problem fixed mine does the same thing and the monoxide smell is toxic
I took my 93 LS400 to a third mechanic who specialized in repairing Japanese cars, they tried everything for like an hour or so and came back and told me what I figured it would be. It was the ECU/ECM, I purchase one at ecmexchange online for $295 w/ 1yr warruenty and now the car runs perfect!!! So I would guess that your ecm is going bad.
Old 08-18-12, 03:47 PM
shoob
Driver

i too am having issues getting a code from my 93. the CEL comes on but when jumpering the TE1 and E1 connectors, it wasnt throwing any.

i came across this....

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/le...light-stays-on

basically, jumper TE2 and E1, start the car, drive it to temp, or idle to temp if the issue is idling. do not shut the car off!! leave it running, and then additionally jumper TE1 and E1 while TE2 and E1 is still jumpered. BAM! engine codes coming from the CEL.

i got 24, 31, 71 on the CEL you can also jumper TC and E1 to get trac and abs codes. i got an 18 abs, and a 43 trac,
Old 08-20-12, 06:07 AM
lex8000
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

update for my old post - A used ECU fixed my issue