LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

2000 LS400 weird issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-10, 12:51 PM
waseem3000
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2000 LS400 weird issues

Hello to everybody on this forum.

I reside in the UAE and have a 2000 LS400 imported from US in light green color with 140,000 miles. The car was bought with 120,000 miles and I assumed most of the maintenance was already carried out and by driving it for sometime now I realize nothing was nothing and I know it is dangerous and I do not want to ruin the engine or anything in the car. Now the regular 90,000 mile tuneup and work on the engine is far due, but I wanted to know since it was delayed so much time is there anything besides the regular items to change also to keep the engine to pristine condition.

The engine now has a slight jerk when picking up and has some vibration (probably due to bad spark plugs) and also the car slips while turning on the road, again probably due to the fact that differential oil was not changed, or I am wrong. Now my question would be why does this jerk happen when picking up the car and by adjusting anything can this be avoided and do I need to look for another differential as it could be busted as there is too much slip whenever I make a turn and yes at slow speeds. The VSC light and no other light is on, and while it slips the yellow VSC indicator blinks and sometimes beeps telling me there is too much slippage. My friend who has a similar car tells me the differential immediately controls itself when turning and my differential could be busted or needs to change the fluids etc and now I am confused on what to do, do I either change the differential with a one from a scrap yard card or try to change the fluids and see how it goes on from there as I do not want to spend so much money on it and not end up fixing the issue.

Also another annoying issue recently surfaced is while the car is cold the car has a weird growling noise coming from I dont know where, sounds like a leaky exhaust or something like that, but it disappears as the car accelerates above 20 miles, so leaky exhaust can be ruled out. The voice actually was initially when the car was cold, but now it is there even while the car is hot and only stays when the car is idling (doesnt matter if it is in gear or not in gear), and stays while accelerating from low idle speeds and vanishes when a speed above 20 mph is achieved. So I am really clueless but cant seem to find what the issue is. Upon search on this forum for exhaust issues I saw that probably the EGR tube is busted or something like that, but cant seem to find what this tube looks like not even in the manual or on the web or on the forum. So any help in this regard would be appreciated.

Yes I am taking it for a tune up as soon as possible as it is going to cost me a few grands to get it done and I really regret not doing it before, I should have made sure about this beforehand.

Well no use crying over split milk and now have to get the work done before anything goes back. Yes I searched the forum for issues related to differential and engine jerk and cant seem to get anywhere and thereby posting a new thread, else I wouldnt have.

Any help by anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for everyone for their insight into the issues.
Old 08-12-10, 03:19 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

vsc could be alignment or hub related.
the noise on start up is probably the fan which was probably cooked by the mechanic who used a torch to heat the bolts to remove the fan and destroyed the fluid inside of it . It needs a new clutch pack.
Old 08-12-10, 03:43 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Doing the 60K maintenance of draining the fluids along with timing belt will get you off to a start. Check the timing belt service specifics for the usual parts changed out. Hopefully the fixes will be simple, if not at least it is good the car is not showing codes for multiple issues.
Old 08-12-10, 05:48 PM
killsnake
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uh timing belt at 60k? book says 90k, tech say 90k. You could change it for piece of mind. Could someone show or point in directon where I could find service intervals of timing belt being replaced.

Many Thanks......
Old 08-13-10, 02:37 AM
waseem3000
Rookie

Yup no codes as no issue is engine related and sure I will get right at the maintenance and will take it from there... Thanks everyone for the valuable insight.

Regarding the clutch as far as I can recall my father already replaced it when we purchased the car as it was overheating and the fan was working in the wrong direction, can it be busted again within 20,000 miles. But also know the weather outside is extremely hot in 45 degrees Celsius and above. Other than that is there anything else for the voice.

Otherwise a great car. I love it.

Last edited by waseem3000; 08-13-10 at 02:48 AM.
Old 08-13-10, 03:40 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

yep, change the fluids, TB/WP and spark plugs.... hopefully will help you.
the EGR tube looks like this...
the movie is for size reference.
to replace: You do not have to remove the transmission or even lower it, but you will need to remove the passenger side catalytic converter as there's no room and not a suitable tool made to get at it the pipe fittings. When you do this, you'll probably break at least one exhaust stud on the manifold.
Attached Thumbnails 2000 LS400 weird issues-egr.jpg   2000 LS400 weird issues-egra.jpg  
Old 08-13-10, 03:51 AM
waseem3000
Rookie

Thanks I will make sure to get the exhaust studs to make sure if they break I have a replacement and for sure will get it done by somebody... do not want to risk breaking something myself.

so this is how it looks like... had no idea lol
Old 08-13-10, 04:16 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

yep, if you dont have a dealer handy, get the new gaskets for the Cat also, just in case, if they leak, it will turn your CEL light on.
Old 08-13-10, 11:59 AM
waseem3000
Rookie

Originally Posted by billydpowe
yep, if you dont have a dealer handy, get the new gaskets for the Cat also, just in case, if they leak, it will turn your CEL light on.
Yes the dealers need time to get things here and sorry to ask but what is Cat, what would be full form be.. kinda lost here and dont mean to sound stupid here? Thx again in advance
Old 08-13-10, 01:00 PM
malikqais
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CAT stands for catalytic converter changes exhaust fumes for more environment friendly.
And I also Have the same car same model and guess what im in UAE (Sharjah) Lol.
Whare you Stay
tahnks
Old 08-13-10, 01:04 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by waseem3000
Yes the dealers need time to get things here and sorry to ask but what is Cat, what would be full form be.. kinda lost here and dont mean to sound stupid here? Thx again in advance
catalytic converter.
Old 08-13-10, 01:05 PM
malikqais
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also The jerk might be due to broken transmission mounting costs around 100Dhs and Noise could be from Fan clutch cost around 400Dhs.
Old 08-13-10, 01:12 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

No need to do exhaust work as the 1998-2000 LS400 does NOT have an EGR tube or valve. EGR is done with the camshaft timing via VVTi

The jerk could be transmission and or motor mounts. Worth changing either way.

Rule out tires for the noise and slipping and do an alignment.
Old 08-13-10, 01:50 PM
waseem3000
Rookie

Yes me also in UAE.. ok will get right at the mounts as I will do them with all the other work for the 90k service and will also replace the clutch.. possibly busted clutch was put or used one probably. And oh it didnt cross my mind that cat stands for catalyic conveter... stupid me!

So alignment and road balance would be due then and differential oil change to prevent slipping... correct?
Old 08-13-10, 01:53 PM
waseem3000
Rookie

Well actually I stay in Ajman in Nuaimiah near GMC Hospital.

Originally Posted by malikqais
Whare you Stay

Quick Reply: 2000 LS400 weird issues