LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

anyone get complements or haters on your lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-10, 10:04 AM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

shouldn't have been hating!
Old 07-15-10, 10:43 AM
vinnie420
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got nuthing but haters, but that's understandable between the color and the condition of the paint. we'll see how it goes once the stock wheels get thrown in the trash
Old 07-15-10, 02:23 PM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by avalon42
People compliment how nice my LS400 is. Then I tell them the year...and they nearly fall over. Maybe they just see the emblem and it overwhelms them. Dunno.
I get the exact same compliments. its nice and this sure is the best car i've ever had, and i'm getting more happy everytime i get nice compliments. And yeah they think its alot newer than 91.

It helped alot with the projector retrofit with xenon, but will definantly change alot more when i get some bigger rims than stock 15".
Old 07-15-10, 09:23 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
i get honks/thumbs up on the road almost daily. breaking necks left and right. also get people that take pics of me rolling on the highway.

well when u ride this low they wonder how.
http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r...Untitled-5.flv
yea my chipping bumpers are bringing down the ride look though, haha that looks sick, im wondering myself how do you ride so low?
Old 07-15-10, 09:26 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Originally Posted by vinnie420
i got nuthing but haters, but that's understandable between the color and the condition of the paint. we'll see how it goes once the stock wheels get thrown in the trash
what color is it? i have the gold/champaigne i wish i had white or black, meh. Just wax your paint with some meguierers yellow wax and get some ice spray wax and use it after you wash your car, looks great.
Old 07-16-10, 10:32 AM
turboomni
Driver School Candidate

I get compliments too especially when I start the engine with it's exhaust and it's stock with chrome stock wheels.
The other side of the coin are the German car owners who give me mild compliments from time to time. I guess they love taking their Mercedes in to be fixed alot.
Old 07-16-10, 11:37 AM
renato902
Pole Position

Most people are shocked that a guy my age (18 years old) drives an LS400. They always ask if it's my dad's car and are surprised with the answer. Although I do get some compliments sometimes, 95% of the time I get haters. The other day I was driving and this guy in a 535i pulls up beside me @ a junction and says to his girlfriend, "did you see that kid, he's driving a gangster car, who does he think he is ?" like the uneducated guido he was in his white Beemer I always get the "why didn't you buy a Civic" argument and I immediately respond "because a Lexus is better in every way". I enjoy being different and not part of a trend (in my city anyway).
Old 07-16-10, 03:18 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Originally Posted by renato902
Most people are shocked that a guy my age (18 years old) drives an LS400. They always ask if it's my dad's car and are surprised with the answer. Although I do get some compliments sometimes, 95% of the time I get haters. The other day I was driving and this guy in a 535i pulls up beside me @ a junction and says to his girlfriend, "did you see that kid, he's driving a gangster car, who does he think he is ?" like the uneducated guido he was in his white Beemer I always get the "why didn't you buy a Civic" argument and I immediately respond "because a Lexus is better in every way". I enjoy being different and not part of a trend (in my city anyway).
yea except for the fact that cops keep following me and writing down my plate and people keep staring try to see who is in the car with a worried look, has anyone never seen 20% window tint before? there are a ton of other vehicles with it on. lol im not a drug dealer.
Old 07-16-10, 04:13 PM
jgc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The cop thing bothered me at first, but I'm over it. It comes with the property, just roll legit and don't carry anything you shouldn't be carrying. Get a beater for that kind of work . I just got a ticket last week on the way to hang out with some friends. Cop pulls me over after tailing me a few minutes, gets out of his car, makes a walkthrough of the whole car and comes to my window

Cop: License and insurance
me: *Hands him paper work* Is there a reason i got pulled over?
cop: No inspection and no front plate.
me: And you saw this by folloing behind me?
cop: Yeeap
me: Ok *takes ticket and gets out*

Paid $30 and had them both dismissed. Only a matter of time before it happens again, all they do is waste a couple minutes of time for me. It's not that bad.
Old 07-16-10, 04:34 PM
kuziwk
Driver

well i got a ticket for snow on the back window before with my last car $120, at least they didnt mention the $400 in unpaid tickets...lol.
Old 07-19-10, 09:09 AM
blunden
Rookie

I have a 1991 LS400, which takes the original 15" rims. I know next to nothing about rims, but I agree the look is dated. What are my upgrade options? Wheel covers? New rims? How big can I go ... 16", 18"?
Old 07-19-10, 09:30 AM
Dereke
Rookie

nobody said anything about my LS.. people would hear about my rx7 and get all wet in the panty area but they seemed to dry up when they heard i drive a grandpa car on the daily.. i put the 19's on and have gotten a few compliments since.. i dont like how it looks but it does look slightly better than when it had the stock 16s on it.
Old 07-19-10, 10:05 AM
whiteivory
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by renato902
Ditto to being different.

I get a lot of compliments from older people. some stop me on the street and ask me about the fact that it's JDM.
I also get the occasional civic kids who laugh at my car. I'd get pissed about it, but then I remember who's driving the civic?

EDIT: The funniest thing I've heard about my car is from another CL member lol although flattering, I must admit.

Originally Posted by Dereke
^^ that thing reminds me of darth vaders tie fighter

Last edited by whiteivory; 07-19-10 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-19-10, 01:22 PM
pax217
Driver School Candidate

I consistently get the "Grandpa car" comment, until people get in it. Everyone LOVES the LS once they get in it.

I attend the University of Washington and also consistently have my car keyed (I keep it pretty clean) and sometimes get people complaining about the V8, but that only comes after I mention it
-Pax