LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

A/C repair problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-02, 02:34 PM
Kizoku
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C repair problems

Well i went to hav my A/C fixed on my 91 ls and well they said the compressor spun so it was fine......then said that my control unit was bad so i had to get a new one......then they said my sun sensor was bad so i had to get that too.......it came to about $1225 to do all that........and once that was all in they turned it on and the compressor started cutting metal or some sort of scraping sound so now they say i hav to get a compressor which is like another $1800 to fix.......so has anyone else had this problem w/ the LS??? thats just over 3 grand to fix an air conditioner......pretty expensive i think......but a friend thinks the mechanic garage might be ripping me off since they said the compressor worked in their first diagonistic and they also said the sun sensor worked in the diagonstics then later said it didnt work...does anyone know if the garage should have known that the compressor was bad from the start??? just curious if i might be gettin ripped off.....thanks
Old 06-11-02, 04:45 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Of course

You're getting ripped off, it's a Lexus isn't it?

Contact Lexus at:

customer_satisfaction_inquiries@lexus.com

and tell them your story..provided this is an authorized Lexus dealer doing your service.
Old 06-11-02, 05:15 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

Kizoku,

Sorry you are getting jerked around, dude. There is a kit to rebuild the a/c compressor. With labor, it should run around 400 dollars. I can give you the number to the independent lexus mechanic I use if you want to talk to him about it. This shop is definitely ripping you off. I suggest you let them know you are going to call the better business bureau if they don't fix it or give you your money back. They are putting in parts one at a time, at your expense, to try to get it fixed.

Good Luck,

rhlight
Old 06-11-02, 11:21 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dude, you are getting ripped off for sure. If its a dealership, call Lexus Corporate on them. If it's a independent shop, mention BBB to them and if they still f*ing with you, file a dispute. That is pretty easy to do and they get ***** done.
Old 06-12-02, 11:24 AM
Kizoku
Rookie

*well yeah i felt i was gettin ripped off..its an independent place that specializes in japanese cars.....supposedly a good place too......i went down there and questioned the place.....and basically they were saying that they never said the sun sensor worked (which i remember him saying it did).....and also they said there is no way to test the compressor unless you get all the electronics to the a/c (ie control unit, LCD screen, sun sensor) working then they can tell us if the compressor works.......but its funny how the lexus dealership told me the compressor was bad w/out all that stuff about 6 months ago.....so did lexus just gave me a bunch of BullS**t?? according to the independent place he doesnt see it possible for lexus to do that......he said its necessary to piece by piece the A/C repair in order to find what the problem is since 3 computers control it and blah blah blah......but of course he didnt tell me this in the beginning......

*also if anyone needs a copy of the diagnostics (how to check problems w/ A/C) along w/ the wiring diagrams for all the A/C components and the places they are located in the car (1991) i'd be happy to scan them in for u....i guess thats just one positive thing i got from that place....

*So in summary if your A/C goes completely broke in a 1st gen lex.....save about 3 grand to do it (1200 for electrical and 1800 for compressor/drier/expansion valve).....thats worst case scenario........which just happened to be my case......
Old 06-12-02, 12:03 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Kenji, scan them for me please. I might need to repair my one soon. The easy way to test a compressor is to fill the system with Freon and see if it leacks. If it does, the compressor is bad and it has nothing to do with electronics. That costs $75 where I live.

Lexus dealerships usually do stuff under waranty meaning that it is easier for them to swap the whole system at once. They basically say whatever you need to hear whether it is true or not and replace the whole thing.
Old 06-12-02, 12:19 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my Lex cheap with non-working AC knowing I could fix AC problems. I went to the dealer to inquire about my Lex service history and found that the previous owner got an AC diagnostic and estimated to the tune of $2800. :eek: They said pretty much the entire AC system needed to be replaced including the compressor. Screw them, rapists!
I fixed the AC myself for $150 (not including my reserved Freon) which included AC hoses.

Anyway, here is the lesson I learned. Repairing AC is easy money. AC mechanics have the law favoring them if your AC uses R12. They are not allowed to charge your AC if any AC parts, in their judgement, is defective allowing R12 to escape into the atmosphere (eg. defective compressor). As a result, mechanics can almost freely milk AC parts from you. Some nasty mechanics go for electrical parts first even when they know it's mechanical problems. Then they go to mechanical parts (eg. blame it on the compressor) and you have no choice but to replace it and other associated parts too. :eek:

Sorry, but one cannot say that since the compressor spins, it must be working. Your mechanic should know that! Sound like your mechanic is a professional Lex rapist.
Old 06-12-02, 12:52 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

I suggest you print out and show them this thread man.
Old 06-12-02, 04:43 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think your independece shop is ripping you off on the control unit ( dark screen can't read the setting ) and the code 21 for the Solar sensor is always there.
The few problems on the A/C for the 1st gen. LS are most likely Compressor and the hose next to it, the Evaporator+Expansion valve. That's why the Lexus dealer told you that the compressor is bad to begin with. BTW, I sorry for your misfortune and a bad experience on your LS.
Old 06-12-02, 07:11 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

Kizoku,

My lcd is out and my ac works fine. The sensors for the temperature and control of the system are probably fine, you just have a display that has gone out (like many of us do).

rhlight
Old 06-13-02, 10:49 AM
capper
Rookie

Default AC working without LED readout...

Kizoku, I agree with LHlight....I just had MAJOR repairs done on my 92 LS since I have decided to hang onto it for another 150K miles...the AC was gone, as is the burnout LED panel....I had a quote from a private shop where I live (no Lexus dealer here) for $3400 parts and labor to repair the mechanical problems (compressor, condensor, clutch plate, etc)...Lexus of Nashille fixed it for $1800...I did not have them replace the LED panel (thats another $600 bucks), since I also had a major tuneup, timing chain, power steering pump, water pump, and various electrical things repaired...So, you can have cold air and a black LED screen, which I intend to replace in the next few months...good luck, Capper
Old 06-13-02, 11:30 AM
GA400
Lead Lap

Default lcd

capper and kizoku,

I have seen a few posts here where people have used Mikado to refurbish the lcd. All comments have been very positive and is apparently pretty easy to do remove and replace. This is what I plan to do this fall (when I can live without the a/c again -summer in Atlanta is HOT!)

(info from retrodrive's excellent web site http://www.cureline.net/lex/performance/lcdrepair.txt)
Mikado rebuilds the LCD display for $295. It is easy to replace and you need to send in old unit.
Mikado eng.
1435 Hunt Ave.
S. San Francisco 94080

(650)615-9966

rhlight
Old 06-13-02, 12:23 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

check your PM Kenji
Old 06-13-02, 01:19 PM
capper
Rookie

Default led

Thanks rhlight...I have read the threads about the climate control lcd repair by Mikado, and sound favorable...it's the old question, ship it out yourself and be without for a few weeks, or pay twice as much for OEM...haven't decided which way I'll go yet, but may contack Mikado....Capper
Old 06-13-02, 08:04 PM
Kizoku
Rookie

Default thanks for all the replies!

thanks to all about your previous A/C experiences....i hav the electrical parts done im just tryin to figure out a way to get the compressor and probably the expansion valve etc....probably going to hav a mechanic friend do it if i can order the parts.

capper,
well actually if u want to save money and go w/ mikado do what i did....i charged it on credit card but charge u an extra 100 bucks.....its just a deposit......so that way they mail u the new LCD screen that day and then once u mail your old one back (i mailed mine back after the new one was installed and worked) u get the 100 bucks back......that way u dont hav to go w/out one....

hyperopt,
hey what did u hav to do to fix your a/c for only 150?? did u have to get a new compressor and other mechanical parts?? just curious...

and for those interested i scanned in the a/c wiring and diagonistic sheets but they total up to be like over 7 megs so im gonna cut them down later tonight and try to post them on a webserver.....

Quick Reply: A/C repair problems